Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By JK37
Registration Days Posts
The “got 30 recruits there” is where you lose me.

Can’t give free passes to recruits or have contact with them at an off-campus game - even if it is designated as a “home” game at a neutral sight.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
LUGrad2000 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:In the decade since the online school boom, we haven’t seen the gigantic away game attendance from online students you’re talking about. The majority of those students have no connection to Liberty other than it being a means to an end for them.
I work with several LU online students who have no idea we have a football team. Most have had a good experience though and view the school positively.
Sounds as if we need to market LU athletics to our online students a little better. Maybe something as simple as sending them an email with sports schedules attached.
By Jonathan Carone
JK37 wrote:The “got 30 recruits there” is where you lose me.

Can’t give free passes to recruits or have contact with them at an off-campus game - even if it is designated as a “home” game at a neutral sight.
You gotta have vision dude.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:In case you kids forget what my ultimate prize is and reason for skippping the 20 year puragatory of poor school G5 crap league and pushing for P5 prominence and fastest way to get there based on the fact that we are private school with a lot of $ and a Pro Footballl Prez who has all the power - ( completely unique in Colleges across America ) with no public pressure/oversight, little board pressure and ability to will in to existence a top 25 Football Existence - based on a National Evangilaical Conservative Brand which happens to be a major factor in current politics, etc, etc. - Then all I ask i simply a 24 hour refrain from posting a knee jerk reply while you absorb the brilliance of my suggestsions such as 10 year lease on Jerry World - is that too much to ask ? :)
I hope you read this and regret how much you drank last night :lol:
By gerb
This BYU/Jerry world nonsense almost makes me long to go back to the "paying student athlete" temper tantrums from the last thread.
By tyndal23
JK37 wrote:The “got 30 recruits there” is where you lose me.

You sure? When Army plays at FedEx field? I know OU and Texas host recruits every year at the Cotton Bowl neutral site -designated home team gets to host recruits.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Id be careful challenging someone who probably is more in tune with NCAA recruiting regulations than you are tyndal
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
But I may eh wrong about some football exception. All I know is the standard rule is that for the purposes of hosting a recruit, a team’s designated home site shall not be more than 30 miles from campus.

Ran into this some with the Charleston Civic Center hosting home contests in North Charleston years ago. That’s the only reason I thought of it. Maybe football has some loophole.
By ElmersTwin
tyndal23 wrote:Cowboy Stadium hosts all types of events and usually the lower tier is televised for HS Championships etc - you need 40k or so to make it viewable - BYU will be 90 percent of that ( hence the enticement to treat it as a road game for them ). Way better by a factor of 60 for LU than a home game with 3500 people that they lie about being 14k in the stands weekend before Thanksgiving...Use the Dallas game and attendance for a home game, recruiting and take an jerk beating until we don’t...
Almost positive the Duncanville HS vs. Allen HS semifinal game would outdo our attendance figures.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
When we get our first bowl game, it's important that we have good attendance. We need to build a reputation of supporting team in bowl games. This will help us get better bowls in future.
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote:When we get our first bowl game, it's important that we have good attendance. We need to build a reputation of supporting team in bowl games. This will help us get better bowls in future.
A reputation for going to in state games wouldn't hurt
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:When we get our first bowl game, it's important that we have good attendance. We need to build a reputation of supporting team in bowl games. This will help us get better bowls in future.
A reputation for going to in state games wouldn't hurt
There is that......
Remind me who didn’t go again? :dontgetit
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
For the Thanksgiving Weekend...maybe a neutral site game at the multipurpose baseball/football stadium they built in Virginia Beach. If LU plays someone like Charlotte. I think it only holds 9,000...and I think some would enjoy a beach trip? And since it's small it would look full. Just an idea.
By LU 57
Only answer for the attendance problem that week is to cultivate some sort of rivalry game. Maybe ODU or JMU if they ever go FBS?
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
jimflamesfan wrote:For the Thanksgiving Weekend...maybe a neutral site game at the multipurpose baseball/football stadium they built in Virginia Beach. If LU plays someone like Charlotte. I think it only holds 9,000...and I think some would enjoy a beach trip? And since it's small it would look full. Just an idea.
Yes Jim. Everyone wants to go to a cruddy beach in the winter time. :lol:
By LU 57
ballcoach15 wrote:ODU isn't a household name in football enough to develop a rivalry. Should do Marshall or someone like that.
Could be a good one. Had not thought of them.
Last edited by LU 57 on December 16th, 2018, 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By rtb72
That'd be fun, but I'd look like a Christmas elf. Half green and half red (went to MU for my Masters and love them too). I guess my heart would be with LU though.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I've got a master's degree from Marshall, too. Class of '85 (forgot when I graduated). :oops:

That, by the way, is another GENIUS idea by Ballcoach. Marshall needs a rival school, since WVU is scared to play them, so LU would be perfect and only 5 hours away.
Last edited by Cider Jim on December 16th, 2018, 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By LU 57
Cider Jim wrote:I've got a master's degree from Marshall, too. Class of '83.

That, by the way, is another GENIUS idea by Ballcoach. Marshall needs a rival school, since WVU is scared to play them, so LU would be perfect and only 5 hours away.
I definitely like the idea of an LU/Marshall annual game. However, looking over their schedules the last several years they have been playing CUSA games that weekend. Not sure how much flexibility there is to schedule a non-con game.

Would be fun though. “Battle of the Blue Ridge”? Although I am not sure if Huntington would actually be considered part of the Blue Ridge or not? Any other ideas for possible names?
By LU 57
Agreed. Maybe the “Transcontinental Bowl” with New Mexico State? Or the “Commonwealth Clash” with UMASS? Really grasping at straws late on a Sunday :lol:

EDIT: Totally kidding with these. The obvious solution is to get really good so that extra town/alumni attendance makes up for the lack of students.
Last edited by LU 57 on December 16th, 2018, 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:I've got a master's degree from Marshall, too. Class of '83.

Whoa! Back the Hillbilly Train up there, Green Grad. Playing little brother is a lose-lose. Why waste a good football weekend on them? :BS

Would love LU to play Marshall. Easy opponent to hate!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple would probably suggest something like the "Junior College Bowl," since LU is playing second fiddle to Tech and UVa. Then then there's that WVU thing for Marshall.

Maybe LU could even break out the original green and gold uniforms. :shock:
Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]

I'm not sure why anyone thought online would eve[…]

Longwood

Did you make the trip to Farmville?

G5 Playoff Only

We DO NOT want this. This is Division 1AA all ove[…]