Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#565780
R i wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:The latest rumors this morning is that Freeze is choosing between being the offensive coordinator at Alabama and the head coach at Liberty.

If that's true and if he chooses Liberty, that does two things:

1) Puts us on the map as a legit program. The perception of our program was fast forwarded by 5-10 years.

2) Tells me Freeze may be here a while. Choosing us over the best program in college football and a guaranteed P5 job in 1-2 years shows that he chose us for our culture, our beliefs, and all the things others may hold against us. He would've chosen a house with a pool.


Agreed. I will add some wild speculation to number 2, maybe his wife is more comfortable at LU after being publicly humiliated at the highest level in the SEC. So even if Freeze knows Bama is the better spot for his career, he may take LU to appease his wife.


I think “appease” might not be the correct word but you bring up a GREAT point. No one has talked much about his wife Maybe his wife isn’t ready for the microscope on the family they will get at a P5 school like Alabama. It will be brutal and constant. Definitely put a strain on the relationship. At LU it will all be rehashed early but then people will move on. You won’t see signs at games bringing it up all the time.


Why am I not on the team trying to convince Freeze to chose LU :dontgetit :lol:
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#565781
Jonathan Carone wrote:Kiffin won ten games his first year. I don't see how you call him a flop already.


They also signed him to a long term contract because he is getting looks again from P5 schools. Watch Michigan if Harbaugh goes to the Packers
User avatar
By BJWilliams
#565784
Jonathan Carone wrote:Kiffin won ten games his first year. I don't see how you call him a flop already.

11, including the C-USA title and a bowl game...point being, he had a downturn in year 2, but 16 wins in two years, a conference title and a bowl game are not a flop by just.about any metric
User avatar
By R i
#565787
Jonathan Carone wrote:Kiffin won ten games his first year. I don't see how you call him a flop already.



Florida Atlantic (Conference USA) (2017–present)
2017 Florida Atlantic 11–3 8–0
2018 Florida Atlantic 5–7 3–5

3-5 in Conference USA in second season, you would be calling him unorganized and avoid going to any games until FAU fired him.
User avatar
By R i
#565792 Ok, Jury is still out on Kiffin.

Can we name any other reclamation project coach that has had success ?
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#565794
R i wrote:Ok, Jury is still out on Kiffin.

Can we name any other reclamation project coach that has had success ?


What about reclamation AD?
User avatar
By cruzan_flame13
#565795
Jonathan Carone wrote:The latest rumors this morning is that Freeze is choosing between being the offensive coordinator at Alabama and the head coach at Liberty.

If that's true and if he chooses Liberty, that does two things:

1) Puts us on the map as a legit program. The perception of our program was fast forwarded by 5-10 years.

2) Tells me Freeze may be here a while. Choosing us over the best program in college football and a guaranteed P5 job in 1-2 years shows that he chose us for our culture, our beliefs, and all the things others may hold against us. He would've chosen a house with a pool.


I remember saying things like this 2 years ago and some folks didn't agree (a couple called me crazy and drinking too much kool aid).

Well it is great that we are even in this position and I knew it didn't need to take 2+ decades to get to a point like this. It may not be what a lot of folks were hoping for, but this not different from the McCaw hiring as our AD. It's good to be flame!
User avatar
By Jonathan Carone
#565796 I think you're right to be cautious because of the recruiting violations. That's a legitimate concern.

I think it's a stretch but somewhat legitimate to be cautious based on his record his last two years.

I don't think it's factual to call him a bust at Ole Miss.
User avatar
By Jonathan Carone
#565798
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:The latest rumors this morning is that Freeze is choosing between being the offensive coordinator at Alabama and the head coach at Liberty.

If that's true and if he chooses Liberty, that does two things:

1) Puts us on the map as a legit program. The perception of our program was fast forwarded by 5-10 years.

2) Tells me Freeze may be here a while. Choosing us over the best program in college football and a guaranteed P5 job in 1-2 years shows that he chose us for our culture, our beliefs, and all the things others may hold against us. He would've chosen a house with a pool.


I remember saying things like this 2 years ago and some folks didn't agree (a couple called me crazy and drinking too much kool aid).

Well it is great that we are even in this position and I knew it didn't need to take 2+ decades to get to a point like this. It may not be what a lot of folks were hoping for, but this not different from the McCaw hiring as our AD. It's good to be flame!


There's still a great chance Freeze goes to Alabama and we're left with our 3rd, 4th, or 5th option and we're still on that conservative timeline so I'd start stretching before you try to pat yourself on the back like that.
User avatar
By R i
#565799
Class of 20Something wrote:
R i wrote:Ok, Jury is still out on Kiffin.

Can we name any other reclamation project coach that has had success ?


What about reclamation AD?


Fair. But we arent hiring an AD currently. We have seen that it can work out positively. Im not aware of how a HC can be successful after being labeled a cheater.
By jimflamesfan
#565800
ballcoach15 wrote:Some words of one of my favorite songs:

I'll fly away, oh glory
I'll fly away in the morning



Is ballcoach trying to say we met with freeze yesterday, but he chose to fly back home today??? I have no idea how to decipher these things.
User avatar
By R i
#565801
Jonathan Carone wrote:I think you're right to be cautious because of the recruiting violations. That's a legitimate concern.

I think it's a stretch but somewhat legitimate to be cautious based on his record his last two years.

I don't think it's factual to call him a bust at Ole Miss.


2 conference wins in last season. That is horrible even in the SEC.
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#565802
R i wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:
R i wrote:Ok, Jury is still out on Kiffin.

Can we name any other reclamation project coach that has had success ?


What about reclamation AD?


Fair. But we arent hiring an AD currently. We have seen that it can work out positively. Im not aware of how a HC can be successful after being labeled a cheater.


Prepare to observe.
User avatar
By cruzan_flame13
#565803
Jonathan Carone wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:The latest rumors this morning is that Freeze is choosing between being the offensive coordinator at Alabama and the head coach at Liberty.

If that's true and if he chooses Liberty, that does two things:

1) Puts us on the map as a legit program. The perception of our program was fast forwarded by 5-10 years.

2) Tells me Freeze may be here a while. Choosing us over the best program in college football and a guaranteed P5 job in 1-2 years shows that he chose us for our culture, our beliefs, and all the things others may hold against us. He would've chosen a house with a pool.


I remember saying things like this 2 years ago and some folks didn't agree (a couple called me crazy and drinking too much kool aid).

Well it is great that we are even in this position and I knew it didn't need to take 2+ decades to get to a point like this. It may not be what a lot of folks were hoping for, but this not different from the McCaw hiring as our AD. It's good to be flame!


There's still a great chance Freeze goes to Alabama and we're left with our 3rd, 4th, or 5th option and we're still on that conservative timeline so I'd start stretching before you try to pat yourself on the back like that.


This wasn't suppose to be a 'pat myself on the back' moment. It was more of a 'don't underestimate the school's connections based on the fact we are not a "grandfather" institution' moment.
By ballcoach15
#565804
jimflamesfan wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Some words of one of my favorite songs:

I'll fly away, oh glory
I'll fly away in the morning



Is ballcoach trying to say we met with freeze yesterday, but he chose to fly back home today??? I have no idea how to decipher these things.



When in the Army I was good at OPSEC and Codes. Haven't lost my touch.
User avatar
By FlamesHighontheTide
#565805 A lot of the Freeze to Bama is built on speculation fro 2 things. 1.Bama is now in need of an OC. 2. Bama tried to get him last year and was denied. The Bama sites that I have been to that are respectable talk of Freeze as being a candidate but nothing more than that. Matter of fact, Dan Ennos is the one who many think will move into that role. Saban does like to promote from inside the program. Aka, Tosh Lupoi as the most recent.

Tennessee is out of the picture and Auburn's situation is hilarious. Why would anyone want to go to that dumpster fire. Ofcourse I am a Bama fan so what else could I say :D

If Tyler Falwell's tweets last night have any merit to them then today or tomorrow could be very very interesting. This would no doubt be a program changing hire.
User avatar
By Jonathan Carone
#565807
R i wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:I think you're right to be cautious because of the recruiting violations. That's a legitimate concern.

I think it's a stretch but somewhat legitimate to be cautious based on his record his last two years.

I don't think it's factual to call him a bust at Ole Miss.


2 conference wins in last season. That is horrible even in the SEC.


He lost seven games. Five of them were to teams ranked 4, 1, 22, 25, and 15. He beat teams ranked 10 and 12 that year.
By NeoFlame
#565831 Tyler's tweet was nothing more than making the obvious joke tying together a candidate for the job and the weather expected to hit VA/NC.

The hero in closing the deal with Freeze is Nasser.

1. Was directly quoted in a Vols article pushing Freeze to LU
2. Was an anonymous source for other football blogs pushing the idea
3. Liked Freezes daughters tweet
4. Started following Freezes daughter on Twitter
5. His daughter started following him on Twitter

I know some on this board don't like him too much, but he obviously has a very close relationship with Freeze and his family and played a huge role behind the scenes. Without Nasser's help LU wouldn't have even gotten a call returned!
Last edited by NeoFlame on December 6th, 2018, 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
By R i
#565833 I am warming up to it. Reward out weigh the risks for me at this point.

Cons
1) Bad PR and fans dis engaging. This isnt a huge risk because Hugh is a charismatic likable guy, and I would anticipate the national media would feed on it for a few days and be done.

2) Leaves the program in NCAA Violation death penalty state, in a crucial time of program history. Hopefully hes learned how to avoid these violations.

3) Can he win without recruiting violations ? Arkansas State record says that he can.

Pros

1) Will inspire and ignite the fan base and community causing better attendance and more fan engagement financially.

2) Other schools are interested in him for high level positions. To me that made me feel a lot better about the negative PR and his ability to coach.

3) Offense will be exciting and make for a good game day atmosphere

4) Recruiting, we will now have a legitimacy to our program and there is no doubt Freeze can recruit and inspire young people and their families.

5) We blast through a transition phase of being ranked anywhere from 80 to 120 , and most likely go to top 50 within a short period of time.
User avatar
By Jonathan Carone
#565835 The violations are still my biggest hold up. The way I'd convince myself it's not a huge deal is by pointing to Ole Miss doing this before and after him and us not having the boosters they do. I think that's actually a legitimate point but I'm at least telling myself it is.
User avatar
By Liberty22
#565836
Jonathan Carone wrote:The latest rumors this morning is that Freeze is choosing between being the offensive coordinator at Alabama and the head coach at Liberty.

If that's true and if he chooses Liberty, that does two things:

1) Puts us on the map as a legit program. The perception of our program was fast forwarded by 5-10 years.

2) Tells me Freeze may be here a while. Choosing us over the best program in college football and a guaranteed P5 job in 1-2 years shows that he chose us for our culture, our beliefs, and all the things others may hold against us. He would've chosen a house with a pool.


This was my take yesterday.

Liberty22 wrote:You know this is a unique position especially regarding Freeze. With his past, this could be a place he wants to stay the rest of his career. He’d be a head coach at a school that could schedule like a p5 if they want. He could be really successful or even 7-8 wins a year successful and leadership would love it without the pressures of National Championships or else. It also has the faith community he and his wife seem to cherish now. You just never know, this could be his dream job now due to his circumstances and where he appears to be with the Lord.
[/quote]
By oldflame
#565837
Jonathan Carone wrote:The violations are still my biggest hold up. The way I'd convince myself it's not a huge deal is by pointing to Ole Miss doing this before and after him and us not having the boosters they do. I think that's actually a legitimate point but I'm at least telling myself it is.


There are 2 more reasons I would not be overly concerned about recruiting indescretions going forward.

1. He will be coming into an overall Liberty athletic culture which, while not perfect, has been about as squeaky clean as
you can get in that regard. It´s just not what we do, and if he finds himself tempted, he should be smart enough to
realize that.

2. Ian McCaw
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#565838
oldflame wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:The violations are still my biggest hold up. The way I'd convince myself it's not a huge deal is by pointing to Ole Miss doing this before and after him and us not having the boosters they do. I think that's actually a legitimate point but I'm at least telling myself it is.


There are 2 more reasons I would not be overly concerned about recruiting indescretions going forward.

1. He will be coming into an overall Liberty athletic culture which, while not perfect, has been about as squeaky clean as
you can get in that regard. It´s just not what we do, and if he finds himself tempted, he should be smart enough to
realize that.

2. Ian McCaw


Exactly. Ian cannot have anything that resembles a scandal here. His reputation cannot recover from it.
User avatar
By Cider Jim
#565842
Jonathan Carone wrote:The latest rumors this morning is that Freeze is choosing between being the offensive coordinator at Alabama and the head coach at Liberty.

If that's true and if he chooses Liberty, that does two things:
1) Puts us on the map as a legit program. The perception of our program was fast forwarded by 5-10 years.
2) Tells me Freeze may be here a while. Choosing us over the best program in college football and a guaranteed P5 job in 1-2 years shows that he chose us for our culture, our beliefs, and all the things others may hold against us. He would've chosen a house with a pool.

Dropping a JB reference. I like it! :clapping
User avatar
By Sly Fox
#565846 What is the typical shelf life of a Saban OC? If he picks the Tide it is to stall a year until a P5 opening he likes comes along.
User avatar
By Jonathan Carone
#565848
phoenix wrote:I absolutely hate the optics of a Hugh Freeze hire. I'm starting to come around to the potential football upside to it, but I'm still not sold.


Have you watched the convo video?
User avatar
By R i
#565855 Silly Season just got sillier. Fake account ?
Last edited by R i on December 6th, 2018, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
By cruzan_flame13
#565860
Purple Haize wrote:Why is no one talking about the potential of LU being the next season of Last Chance U if they hire Freeze?


Well for starters, we are not a JUCO college. Although I would like to know where this going......
By Hold My Own
#565866 He should never have made this public. BJ is a quick study...no need in paying a premium for him now.


BJ dust off the whiteboard...time to get to work.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#565867
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Why is no one talking about the potential of LU being the next season of Last Chance U if they hire Freeze?


Well for starters, we are not a JUCO college. Although I would like to know where this going......


Nothing says it has to be a JUCO
User avatar
By TH Spangler
#565872
What we’re hearing:

It looks like Freeze is FSU’s top option at this time. Working out details about contract duration and Freeze having total control of the offense are still in play. Alabama’s OC position opening up and interest from Liberty have complicated negotiations, however.


https://247sports.com/college/florida-s ... 125975725/
By oldflame
#565877
TH Spangler wrote:
What we’re hearing:

It looks like Freeze is FSU’s top option at this time. Working out details about contract duration and Freeze having total control of the offense are still in play. Alabama’s OC position opening up and interest from Liberty have complicated negotiations, however.


https://247sports.com/college/florida-s ... 125975725/


I don´t doubt Freeze is FSU´s top option. The more important question is, are they HIS top option. I also cannot imagine Willie Taggert giving any OC total control of the offense.
User avatar
By Cider Jim
#565881 Hoping HF brings those RED PANTS (in the video) to Lynchburg! :shock:
By ballcoach15
#565918
Purple Haize wrote:Freeze would have more stability here at LU than at FSU. Heck is a year or two he could probably hire Taggart



I don't see Taggart lasting very long at FSU. Bad hire from day 1.

If Freeze doesn't get LU job, I will be shocked and disappointed.