Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
bdussault wrote: Season tix were a major mistake
I respectfully disagree. Watching us beat in-state ODU by over 40 points in our FBS season opener was worth the price of my season tickets. :clapping
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:only positive thing ill say is we have enough talent to win games at the fbs level.

Dailey is just atrocious and the series right before half was idiotic. We give them the ball back and let them go up 2 scores.

On defense. We can get any pressure and we dont create any turnovers. We just allow the o line to push us back 8 out of 10 plays rather than us attacking and creating lanes.

Stubbs is the future. Bench king. He cant catch a cold.

Special teams....start over and scrap everything. We get zero out of return game and god gless the young man alves but i could punt a football better than him.

Again, just poor poor coaching but we dont look overmatched against anyone. That should make it very easy to push TG out and know we can do real damage next year with the right hire.
DAILEY IS PITIFUL.

We cannot finish drives plain and simple. we have to do that to stay in these games. I did not see a huge difference in talent, but it looked like we gave up after the last delay.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
At start of season I was more worried about defense than offense. At this point in season, I believe the offense is behind that of the defense. We are not finishing drives, thus putting defense in bad situations. Special teams have been pitiful in all phases. No production at all. For most of NT game we were even or ahead of NT is yardage , yet behind on scoreboard.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Arent the Punter and Kicker injured. Thus meaning LU is using back ups for both?
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:With all the wet weather that Lynchburg has, does the team actually practice in wet conditions? The receivers could not handle the wet balls.
With the luck we're having with gameday weather this season, we better prepare for 3 inches of snow during the Norfolk State game. :lol:
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Arent the Punter and Kicker injured. Thus meaning LU is using back ups for both?
the starting kicker Probert is out, so I think the starting punter Peart is handling the kicking duties, thus Alves is left to punt. I would cut him today and Peart do it all.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
bigsmooth wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Arent the Punter and Kicker injured. Thus meaning LU is using back ups for both?
the starting kicker Probert is out, so I think the starting punter Peart is handling the kicking duties, thus Alves is left to punt. I would cut him today and Peart do it all.
Alves has been the starting punter all along. He actually did OK aainst ODU, but thinks have gone south in a hurry since then. I imagine they will evaluate things and probably make a change for UNM.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
There is an enormous difference between losing to top 50 UNT team, and getting blown out by a G5 team at home.

Had this team not quit and made it respectable, this fan base wouldn't have much to complain about in transition.
By Jonathan Carone
R i wrote:There is an enormous difference between losing to top 50 UNT team, and getting blown out by a G5 team at home.

Had this team not quit and made it respectable, this fan base wouldn't have much to complain about in transition.
Isn't that part of the problem though? They quit.

The flip side of that is had ODU not quit and put up a fight in the second half, we could be in a much worse place.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, I'd have enough to fill every child's basket at Halloween (i know that isn't how it goes but im not thinking Christmas until after Thanksgiving). ODU did quit when we played them and we quit Saturday night. That's what matters. Now on to beating the Lobos (Bob Davie was once Notre Dame's coach)
By willflop
And another similarity between us and ODU was a complete inability for the offense to score. There's only so much bandwidth a defense has mentally, so I'm okay with it. It may not have been a choice to quit as much as the laws of motivational deflation doing their work.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Haven't read all of this thread - so I apologize if i'm doubling up some comments here. My thoughts -

Game was much closer than score suggested. We had our opportunities to keep it a game and just couldn't get it done in the red zone. Drops hurt and punting was...

I have been happy with TG this year. I think he's doing a great job and I really don't think play calling has been the issue. I do wish we would have kicked a FG the first two drives in, but after that missed Kick - I could see why TG hesitated.

UNT is good - Really good. We seemed to figure it out after going down 14-0, but the delay really hurt our momentum.

The punter has a really bad night. You can't talk about cutting a kicker in college - this isn't the pros. He will work on it and get better - I'm sure.

Special teams needs some love - I don't think there was one bright spot all night.

Crowd was awesome!! The weather stunk and the kids still showed up. Baptist side will never show up in weather like that, especially if game is on TV. I left after 3rd qtr delay - just couldn't justify keeping my kids there and take chance that game wouldn't start back up for more than hour or so, if not at all.

I thought they should have postponed the game until Sunday. Paid for team to stay a night there and that would have been awesome and weather wouldn't have been an issue.

Game Management has been awesome and the way they manage the delays and weather was very professional. The technology the university has these days is unbelievable!!

I'm excited about where we are going. I predicted we would lose more than we win this year, but I think we are showing people we can compete just fine on this level and that should help recruiting.
By Neo
As they say, football is a game of inches.

I’m just about every blowout, there are a few plays where you could say “if this had gone differently”. The only thing different is that the kool-aid crowd sees those plays when it happens to LU.

Making those plays, instead of having excuses about them IS what makes you a good team and not a bad one.

The second half effort was pathetic. I think UNT ran the same run play 5 or 6 times in a row in one drive. Special teams are an embarrassment.

If this team gave their best effort, and was well coached but went 1-11 it would be better than what LU has right now.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:UNT is good - Really good. We seemed to figure it out after going down 14-0, but the delay really hurt our momentum.
Looking at their remaining schedule, the only way they lose is to beat themselves. Top 20 team.
By Jonathan Carone
Neo wrote: If this team gave their best effort, and was well coached but went 1-11 it would be better than what LU has right now.
People in the NBA call it the treadmill of mediocrity. You have no hope to be better than average but you’re not bad enough to say it’s worth blowing the whole thing up.
By Class of 20Something
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Neo wrote: If this team gave their best effort, and was well coached but went 1-11 it would be better than what LU has right now.
People in the NBA call it the treadmill of mediocrity. You have no hope to be better than average but you’re not bad enough to say it’s worth blowing the whole thing up.
A football example is the Bengals. Eight years into the Dalton era. Zero playoff wins.
By Class of 20Something
NWS is reporting over 5 inches of rain fell on Lynchburg Saturday.

My brother made a good point during the game. When you drop $125 on single game nosebleeds at NC State, you sit through the rain. Liberty's tickets are cheap enough I can call it a loss when it's pouring.
By LUDad
bigsmooth wrote:
While Peart may not boom his punts, he is left-footed. That opposite spin on the ball can bother some returners.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
A student told me that ODU is playing North Texas later this year. :fbplayer That's a game I would love to see!
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I believe we averaged 20!yards a punt. For the season, I believe the average is 27 yards. I think we have 2 yards on punt returns for the season.
By rtb72
Jonathan Carone wrote:
R i wrote:There is an enormous difference between losing to top 50 UNT team, and getting blown out by a G5 team at home.

Isn't that part of the problem though? They quit.

The flip side of that is had ODU not quit and put up a fight in the second half, we could be in a much worse place.
The fact we QUIT speaks volumes about leadership....actually, I'd say it is one of the truest measures of any head coach or "leader".
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]