Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
In the future, we should look at starting September games earlier, 12:00, 1:00 or 2:00. This would greatly reduce chance of thunderstorms disrupting game.
By Neo
Better question. Why isn’t Gill redshirting Calvert and the other high skill guys with the hopes of having the pieces around them to win when we are actually bowl eligible?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Neo wrote:Better question. Why isn’t Gill redshirting Calvert and the other high skill guys with the hopes of having the pieces around them to win when we are actually bowl eligible?
But LU is going to a Bowl game THIS year. Haven’t you been reading the thread
By CCWMichael
Cider Jim wrote:As bad as Buckshot looked, it could have been much worse. Didn't the Arkansas QB throw 6 interceptions against UNT compared to Buckshot's single interception?

My only concern with play calling last night was why the coaching staff didn't rest Buckshot after the game was clearly out of reach. No need in risking injury when the game was already 40-7 in the fourth quarter.
Buckshot QBR's 23.6 versus UNT, 45.7 Army, and 83.4 versus ODU. 80's are average ..
Not all his fault but we have gone as far as we can with him.
I agree with some we have the talent but it falls apart quickly.
My kool aid tells me we will take two in the Land of Enchantment.

Gill ... I'm not quite ready to dump on him yet but it is getting close.
By CCWMichael
ballcoach15 wrote:In the future, we should look at starting September games earlier, 12:00, 1:00 or 2:00. This would greatly reduce chance of thunderstorms disrupting game.
I concur
By Jonathan Carone
CCWMichael wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:In the future, we should look at starting September games earlier, 12:00, 1:00 or 2:00. This would greatly reduce chance of thunderstorms disrupting game.
I concur
Let’s change ten years of a scheduling philosophy that had experience 1-2 bad weather games because of one random fall with bad weather.

Makes sense.
By CCWMichael
Jonathan Carone wrote:
CCWMichael wrote:
I concur
Let’s change ten years of a scheduling philosophy that had experience 1-2 bad weather games because of one random fall with bad weather.

Makes sense.
They moved satrts up one hour to begin with andd later in the year has moved forward.
I would think the 2 or 3 slot is not to early and not to late and would draw the best. Hard to find statistics on the now but I will research this.
But, I agree. No need to develop just stay where we are at.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
You can schedule 20 years out, and still change game times. Just because you schedule a game several years in advance, does not mean you are locked into a start time. There are many games across nation scheduled with no start time announced yet.
By Jonathan Carone
They have years of stats that show the students don't show up nearly as much for day games, especially ones in September when it's hot outside. That's also why we don't do noon or 1pm kickoffs.

I'm all for developing and adapting if there's data to say we should. But one fall with two storms isn't enough to make me think it's worth going up against the last ten years that says otherwise.
By CCWMichael
Jonathan Carone wrote:They have years of stats that show the students don't show up nearly as much for day games, especially ones in September when it's hot outside. That's also why we don't do noon or 1pm kickoffs.

I'm all for developing and adapting if there's data to say we should. But one fall with two storms isn't enough to make me think it's worth going up against the last ten years that says otherwise.
Sources please?
By Jonathan Carone
CCWMichael wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:They have years of stats that show the students don't show up nearly as much for day games, especially ones in September when it's hot outside. That's also why we don't do noon or 1pm kickoffs.

Sources please?
If you're looking for articles, I don't have that. I worked for the football team and the athletic department while in undergrad and seminary along with running the most organized fan group the school has ever had. This allowed me to have conversations with the people in charge and get to know a lot of the reasons why we did a lot of the things we did. While some of the leadership has changed since I left in 2010, the data still says the same thing:

Students show up significantly more for night games than they do day games.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
6 pm is great in september. Just adapt when severe weather is called for. Its not that difficult but it does have to be planned and comminicated earlier.
By CCWMichael
jinxy wrote:6 pm is great in september. Just adapt when severe weather is called for. Its not that difficult but it does have to be planned and comminicated earlier.
+1
By rtb72
6 pm and mid afternoon games are much easier for those traveling to games with kids, too. Not sure how many families/fans are like mine....but hauling the family 2 hours would make noon games stressful.
By CCWMichael
rtb72 wrote:6 pm and mid afternoon games are much easier for those traveling to games with kids, too. Not sure how many families/fans are like mine....but hauling the family 2 hours would make noon games stressful.
+1
By CCWMichael
rtb72 wrote:6 pm and mid afternoon games are much easier for those traveling to games with kids, too. Not sure how many families/fans are like mine....but hauling the family 2 hours would make noon games stressful.
Our student section is phenomenal: however that is not where the cash flow comes from ...
By LUDad
Purple Haize wrote:
Neo wrote:Better question. Why isn’t Gill redshirting Calvert and the other high skill guys with the hopes of having the pieces around them to win when we are actually bowl eligible?
But LU is going to a Bowl game THIS year. Haven’t you been reading the thread
Actually, that is still a possibility. A guy can play four games and not burn a red shirt. However, If we win our 4th game next week against a favored team, we will then have two wins with two games left against FCS teams and two winnable games against NMS. That would give us six wins and we would be bowl eligible. (does not insure bowl but with bowl agreement LU signed and past FBS bowl eligible stats, it would make a bowl likely). If we lose against NM then our road to six wins would be more difficult, and decisions would have to be made.
By Jonathan Carone
CCWMichael wrote:
Our student section is phenomenal: however that is not where the cash flow comes from ...
You're assuming we make decisions based on cash flow and ticket sales.

We want to look good on tv and have a great game day environment. Our student section is our biggest asset for both of those things. The day we stop catering to the students during the game is the day our atmosphere becomes as stale as every other school with half empty stadiums.
By tyndal23
Mean Green Board last night “ this is the closest 33-7 game I have ever seen “. Disaappointing that the final shows a blowout - easily could have been 21-14 LU at half, same with Army. D really made me mad on 2 drives 2nd half with complete lack of effort ( you can always play hard ) . Athletes - once again we were not overmatched athletically - we are big and have the players. Just missing by a little at every phase. Regrettable that we haven’t shown recruits a good environment in 2 home games due to weather. IF we were getting wiped out due to talent discrepencies, I would be way more patient with this staff, but that has not been the case - we are squandering good talent the past 2 games.
By bdussault
Registration Days
Offense, defense, special teams, coaching, we just suck. Although if I had to blame one group in paricular it's coaching (and a close second to special teams). We've always had talent under Gill, we just can't put anything together. Total garbage. Season tix were a major mistake and really have been for years. I'm a schmuck.
G5 Playoff Only

We DO NOT want this. This is Division 1AA all ove[…]

I don't know if it's changed since I went but the […]

Some statistics

Our team ERA currently sits at #78 nationally. Our[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Agree. I’ll add to that- I think we’[…]