Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#553244
oldflame wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I drove by it several years ago.


They spent 62 million dollars expanding and renovating it in 2011. Either your little drive-bye came before that, or you are blind, because the place is beautiful. Easily one of the top handful of FCS facilities. And yes, it seats 25,000


I'd say half of it is beautiful. Half that stadium is a magnificent 40k stadium, then it just looks like the texture packets in the game failed to load and they got left with garbage on the visitors side.
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#553246 Pretty

Still pretty



Where did the rest of it go?
User avatar
By rmiller1959
#553275
Class of 20Something wrote:I'd say half of it is beautiful. Half that stadium is a magnificent 40k stadium, then it just looks like the texture packets in the game failed to load and they got left with garbage on the visitors side.


I went there for the first time for our first-round playoff game against them in 2014. I remember thinking that they either ran out of money to finish the job or they really wanted to create a major homefield advantage by making the visitors section look like - well, garbage!
By rogers3
#553280
oldflame wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I drove by it several years ago.


They spent 62 million dollars expanding and renovating it in 2011. Either your little drive-bye came before that, or you are blind, because the place is beautiful. Easily one of the top handful of FCS facilities. And yes, it seats 25,000


I not impressed by a steel/aluminum superstructure. Colorful, yes.
I still can’t believe that they spent so much money on it.
By jinxy
#553281 Yes its big for fcs but man is it ugly. All aspects including what i guess is the outside of the operations facility. If they truly spent 62 mil thats a travesty.

Bball arena is or was a dump. Saw somewhere they were building a new for 20 maybe? Mbb program has been a total dumpster fire forever.

Baseball built a new stadium and the program went completely in the tank shortly after. I havent seen the stadium in person but it doesnt appear to be anything special in online pics.

Havent seen softballs but they are obvioulsy a solid program.

They arent high school facilities but i would certainly say LU is far superior in all 5 main sports now that football has been upgraded. Cant imagine their softball stadium is nearly as nice as ours. Further. Cant imagine that many of the olmpic sports would be nicer than ours since all of ours are brand new.
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#553768
Class of 20Something wrote:I found this proud press release from 2009. https://www.liberty.edu/alumni/alumni-news/?MID=7938

The old screen was exactly 20'x36'. With what looks like an additional 15-20' on each side of the screen. The new screen is taking up that entire width to take us to about 70' wide. The new framework is a little more than twice the height of the old screen minus the framework for "LIBERTY FLAMES" on top. I think it will end up being about 45'-50' tall. The square footage would end up between 3150 and 3500 square feet. We wouldn't break the top 25 screens in FBS, but we would be on the bubble.


Official dimensions are 41'x74.5' 3053 sq.ft.
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#553769 https://www.daktronics.com/news/Pages/D ... tball.aspx

The project includes a new fixed digit scoreboard measuring 8 feet high by 18 feet wide to keep fans updated with the score, time remaining, quarter and other standard football information. Delay of game clocks and backlit identification panels were also manufactured and installed by Daktronics.


This sounds new. Maybe on top of the entrance way?
By oldflame
#553776
jinxy wrote:Yes its big for fcs but man is it ugly. All aspects including what i guess is the outside of the operations facility. If they truly spent 62 mil thats a travesty.

Bball arena is or was a dump. Saw somewhere they were building a new for 20 maybe? Mbb program has been a total dumpster fire forever.

Baseball built a new stadium and the program went completely in the tank shortly after. I havent seen the stadium in person but it doesnt appear to be anything special in online pics.

Havent seen softballs but they are obvioulsy a solid program.

They arent high school facilities but i would certainly say LU is far superior in all 5 main sports now that football has been upgraded. Cant imagine their softball stadium is nearly as nice as ours. Further. Cant imagine that many of the olmpic sports would be nicer than ours since all of ours are brand new.


No argument. Our facilities are amazing. The new basketball facility will be the final piece, and the cherry on top of the sundae.
By ALAFlamesFan
#553783
Class of 20Something wrote:I have talked to a couple people that have been walking back expectations of the stadium being fully complete for September 1st. I have no doubts that the seats, concessions, and bathrooms will be complete for the first game. There are 67 days left(Thanks megan) until the season starts.

From the East View it looks like they are starting to grade the ground on the North(right) side of the crane. And it looks like the Tyvek is up for a large portion of the facade. I would imagine they are going to aim for all superficial aspects to be complete.


There is no way this gets completely done before September 1. Hopefully the video board and all gameday experience stuff is done but the radio crew may be standing on a concrete slab and using cellphones for the broadcast. :) Hopefully the plumbing will work too. :)
By Old Red
#553977 I took a look in the stadium from next to the FOC today. They have started installing the screen for the video board, and have already installed a smaller, numerical scoreboard inside the new south entrance. Play clock is mounted on the other side.
It’s gonna be close, but I think they’ll make it.
A lot of the big work appears to done. Adding the finishing touches shouldn’t take too long.
I think University Blvd might even be ready for pavement in a couple of weeks.
They haven’t started working crews at night yet, so I don’t think anyone’s panicking about the deadline.
User avatar
By Cider Jim
#553987 BJ, the band will be positioned above the south endzone in the first few rows of seats below the berm.
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#553993
BJWilliams wrote:So this may be a silly question, but where will the band be positioned?


In the perfect place to make noise at field level. I hope we can hear it some, but as long as the visitors are uncomfortable, I am happy.
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#553998 I also went by today and they've cut about 18 inches out of every lower level staircase. They've pulled it out of the student side and just started cutting it on the Baptist side. I have no idea what it's for.

They were still working on the video board at 630 on a Sunday night.
User avatar
By rmiller1959
#554135
LUAlum1215 wrote:Update on the scoreboard. The Liberty Flames across the top looks legit. Also, the middle three sections of the upper deck now have seat backs installed.

https://imgur.com/gallery/4UR7Otm


Spoke to a couple of gentlemen with the Athletics department in my office today, and they said the upper-deck seats between the 30-yard line markers would have seatbacks like the west side and would be reserved seating. For visitors, perhaps?
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#554136
rmiller1959 wrote:
LUAlum1215 wrote:Update on the scoreboard. The Liberty Flames across the top looks legit. Also, the middle three sections of the upper deck now have seat backs installed.

https://imgur.com/gallery/4UR7Otm


Spoke to a couple of gentlemen with the Athletics department in my office today, and they said the upper-deck seats between the 30-yard line markers would have seatbacks like the west side and would be reserved seating. For visitors, perhaps?


Visitors are restricted to the northern most section on the Visitors side on both levels.
User avatar
By BJWilliams
#554143 Yeah...it wouldn't be the best look to have as many of not more visiting fans in your stadium than your home fans
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#554148 I'm trying to figure out if there's going to be a scoreboard below or a "base" so the screen is raised for the FOC expansion. Since the FOC will come out a few feet, having it too low would cut the bottom off to some lower seats.

They're still pulling about 18 inches of each stair case out and no one I've asked has a clue why.
By Chippy
#554149
Class of 20Something wrote:I'm trying to figure out if there's going to be a scoreboard below or a "base" so the screen is raised for the FOC expansion. Since the FOC will come out a few feet, having it too low would cut the bottom off to some lower seats.

They're still pulling about 18 inches of each stair case out and no one I've asked has a clue why.

It seems they are laying cables, piping or wires or something of that nature?!
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#554154
tyndal23 wrote:Class of 20 - based on the image of FOC - it wont be raised or moved, building will come out towards endzone in 2 tiers. It will look even better and more of a natural fit when FOC is done.


You're right. I always remember this and not this one.
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#554315 Just looking over the artist rendering and comparing it to what is actually shaping.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGzRlOBUwAAW7DW.jpg:large

I think the only real change to the landscaping is going to be the staircase leading straight to the new ticket office.

One small detail I just noticed was looking at where the staircase from the Indoor coming up to the stadium will be, in the rendering, it looks like a platform for a news crew outside the stadium. It looks like it could lend itself to something like Gameday for the future.

Just a cool little feature that I am glad they thought of that early in the process.
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#554319
ballcoach15 wrote:Anyone remember the metal shed that stood where FOC is now ? That was Gretna's halftime locker room during state championship game in 03 or 04.


The 2003 game against Monticello who had our RB Coach under center?
User avatar
By TH Spangler
#554323
Class of 20Something wrote:Just looking over the artist rendering and comparing it to what is actually shaping.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGzRlOBUwAAW7DW.jpg:large

I think the only real change to the landscaping is going to be the staircase leading straight to the new ticket office.

One small detail I just noticed was looking at where the staircase from the Indoor coming up to the stadium will be, in the rendering, it looks like a platform for a news crew outside the stadium. It looks like it could lend itself to something like Gameday for the future.

Just a cool little feature that I am glad they thought of that early in the process.


Are they still installing the shelter or overhang on top on the brick arches near main gate? How about the flames on top of main gate?
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#554324
TH Spangler wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:Just looking over the artist rendering and comparing it to what is actually shaping.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGzRlOBUwAAW7DW.jpg:large

I think the only real change to the landscaping is going to be the staircase leading straight to the new ticket office.

One small detail I just noticed was looking at where the staircase from the Indoor coming up to the stadium will be, in the rendering, it looks like a platform for a news crew outside the stadium. It looks like it could lend itself to something like Gameday for the future.

Just a cool little feature that I am glad they thought of that early in the process.


Are they still installing the shelter or overhang on top on the brick arches near main gate? How about the flames on top of main gate?


The extension of the arches the over hang was mounted on in the pictures made it to construction so I thinks it's still on the table. The flames, I have no clue.
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#554339
ballcoach15 wrote:In the 03 game, Brown was not under center. The QB was Joe Sanford. I believe he walked on at UVA, but never saw any playing time.


You're looking at the wrong team. Brown was the QB of that Monticello team.
By ballcoach15
#554359 Brown was on the team, but he wasn't starting QB. In the state semi finals, I went to Charlottesville to scout Monticello and Poguoson. In the state championship game at LU, Joe Sanford was QB. I was in coaches box in press box and saw every play.
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#554366
ballcoach15 wrote:Brown was on the team, but he wasn't starting QB. In the state semi finals, I went to Charlottesville to scout Monticello and Poguoson. In the state championship game at LU, Joe Sanford was QB. I was in coaches box in press box and saw every play.


I was wrong. You were right. I was a wee lad in 7th grade during that season. Sanford went on to UMass.
By rogers3
#554389
Class of 20Something wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Brown was on the team, but he wasn't starting QB. In the state semi finals, I went to Charlottesville to scout Monticello and Poguoson. In the state championship game at LU, Joe Sanford was QB. I was in coaches box in press box and saw every play.


I was wrong. You were right. I was a wee lad in 7th grade during that season. Sanford went on to UMass.

Don't try to second guess an old hag :oldhag
By flamehunter
#554545
FLAMEfromBAMA wrote:Is the exterior of the stadium supposed to be ready for ODU? Seems like there is s TON to do there with only a month to go.

Supposed to be, yes. Given the weather we have been having, it may not be.
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#554562 I know it looks like it is miles away from being complete, but I don't think it's as far off as it looks. New fencing and the gates and colonnade awning will take one small team a week to do. Brick on the exterior of the East stands will fly up now that all the backings are up. Once the arch of the entrance is bricked, that entire area will have concrete and landscaping in a week.
User avatar
By rmiller1959
#554564
Jonathan Carone wrote:The entire project won’t be done by ODU. They’re focusing on getting everything on the inside of the stadium ready.


Our department is doing a pregame reception in the indoor facility, and we asked the planners about the construction. Jonathan is spot on - seats, concessions and facilities will be ready by September 1st. The rest will be done by Game 3.
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#554566 Just a preview of what we get to do in a couple seasons. Troy is finishing their FOC. Williams Stadium is going to look so slick!

I wonder if we box in the video board eventually.

https://twitter.com/TroyTrojansFB/statu ... 31552?s=19
User avatar
By Cider Jim
#554567 With all due respect, I think Williams Stadium, when finished, will look much better than Troy's. :shock: