Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
If LU loses another game this year Gill is out. If they win out I think the AD would be hard pressed to cut ties. There is zero excuse for losing anymore games this year. I am sure some of you TG kool aid addicts (PH included in this one) will find reasons to justify him being around. This is why PH is not nearly in step with the dark side as he likes to think!!
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:I'd rather 45-15 kinda games. Like Morehead State. I want to dominate both sides of the ball so much the second string gets snaps.
No more blow outs please! I'M so happy to be FBS next year. I don't care how many games we lose as long as they are entertaining and competitive.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
"I don't care how many games we lose..." I'm sorry, I stopped listening after that.

Don't forget how well-respected in the coaching community Turner Gill is. If you fire him after a 9-2 season, good luck hiring someone decent after him. That said, I like Gill. I think he could be the CEO-type needed to head an FBS program, then hire great coordinators. I'm still not convinced he has THAT part locked down.

Be careful what you wish for; you just might get it.
By willflop
thepostman wrote:Come on ballcoach you know better than this. Defense wins championships!

Aren't you happy with 9-3 type of ball games! If you're going to be old school do it right!
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I like blow outs with "my team" winning, 56-0 is always my favorite score. and I like games to be decided by halftime. Then play backups in 2nd half.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Brandon Streeter's name continues to come up as a potential suitor for head coach. So lets play the what - if game:

What - if McCaw kept Gill till 2020, which would allow him 3 years of FBS recruiting and 3 years of FBS football with 2 years of bowl possibilities. In other words a clean slate to see what he does at the FBS level.

What - if McCaw brought in Streeter as the Offensive Coordinator to be potential next in line head coach if Gill doesn't improve. It is a win-win for Streeter, more money, more exposure in a higher profile coaching position that could lead to a head coaching position if not here then somewhere.

What-if McCaw brought in Todd Bates (clemson coaching staff) in as the D-coordinator. He is their defensive line coach with a very nice resume'. Further, if Streeter didn't want the head coaching job potentially Bates could be that guy.

Just some thoughts.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:If LU loses another game this year Gill is out. If they win out I think the AD would be hard pressed to cut ties. There is zero excuse for losing anymore games this year. I am sure some of you TG kool aid addicts (PH included in this one) will find reasons to justify him being around. This is why PH is not nearly in step with the dark side as he likes to think!!
Your continued attempts to usurp my crown as leader of :flamingdevil will continue to fail!!!!

Wanting TG as coach for life is exactly what the :flamingdevil stands for. Because it is what is right so obviously won't be done!
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
thepostman wrote:If LU loses another game this year Gill is out. If they win out I think the AD would be hard pressed to cut ties. There is zero excuse for losing anymore games this year. I am sure some of you TG kool aid addicts (PH included in this one) will find reasons to justify him being around. This is why PH is not nearly in step with the dark side as he likes to think!!
Your continued attempts to usurp my crown as leader of :flamingdevil will continue to fail!!!!

Wanting TG as coach for life is exactly what the :flamingdevil stands for. Because it is what is right so obviously won't be done!
You keep telling yourself that.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:If a change is made, I think it will be a "big name hire", who has experience as HC at a P5 school.
Are you changing your prediction? Your last one was a current Top 5 P5 HC. Now you are back tracking to just someone with P5 HC experience ? LU already has that in Gill. Your list is now so broad it could include Charlie Weis!
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
No I have not changing my prediction. My post a month or so back, was relayed to me by someone at TRBC. It was not my prediction, or even thought.

What I am saying today is, the next LU coach, regardless of when, will be someone who has HC experience at a P5 school.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Here's my take.

Athletic directors are made on hired in what I call the "Big 3" sports: Football, baseball and basketball (men's and women's). While I'm sure IM would love to make a big splashy hire, this would be his first "big 3" hire since becoming the AD so we really will get to see what his hiring philosophy is.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:No I have not changing my prediction. My post a month or so back, was relayed to me by someone at TRBC. It was not my prediction, or even thought.

What I am saying today is, the next LU coach, regardless of when, will be someone who has HC experience at a P5 school.
But LU already HAS someone with P5 HC experience
And you said it was someone high up at LU. But either way it appears baseless
By Class of 20Something
Purple Haize wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:No I have not changing my prediction. My post a month or so back, was relayed to me by someone at TRBC. It was not my prediction, or even thought.

But LU already HAS someone with P5 HC experience
And you said it was someone high up at LU. But either way it appears baseless
Yeah P5 experience with a 25-49 record.
By Ewglenn
My number one guy would be Brent Venerables. Scot Satterfield would be a good get. Idk if he would leave since he is at his alma mater.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Purple, I did not say it was "someone high up" at LU. Actually I doubt if one could even find his or her name on a Staff Directory.
By LUalum12
Registration Days Posts
We all agree coach Gill is a great man. I have no doubts that he is a great spiritual leader and mentor. I am not sure that we can find a better head coach that is on board with the mission. I personally like Gill and wish him the very best and would even be OK with him staying at LU but HC's are judged by two numbers W/L's and his numbers are average at best and mostly because he has went 38-25 at LU. Before that the numbers are well below .500 as a head coach (how much stock can you put in to the two years spent at KU? no one has won there since Mangino). Just saying !
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Purple, I did not say it was "someone high up" at LU. Actually I doubt if one could even find his or her name on a Staff Directory.
You're right you never really did say who told you.
ballcoach15 wrote:I have been told that the next LU coach will be someone who is presently considered one of the Top 5 coaches in college football. He is currently coaching at a pretty good Power 5 Conference school. I cannot say who, because I would be shot at high noon if I did.
Sorry PH. Ballcoach is right.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
A .680 winning percentage is not good enough for our school, especially based on the number of cupcakes we play. Have we had some excellent wins? Yes. Have we had more terrible losses and very ugly wins? Yes. Time to move on, regardless of our record the rest of the year. Our facilities, administration and finances are FBS ready, our coaching staff.........................no.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Purple, I did not say it was "someone high up" at LU. Actually I doubt if one could even find his or her name on a Staff Directory.
You're right you never really did say who told you.
ballcoach15 wrote:I have been told that the next LU coach will be someone who is presently considered one of the Top 5 coaches in college football. He is currently coaching at a pretty good Power 5 Conference school. I cannot say who, because I would be shot at high noon if I did.
Sorry PH. Ballcoach is right.
Only someone high up can have someone shot at high noon. It's not difficult to extrapolate that it was someone high up who gave him the info he is now backing away from
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:A .680 winning percentage is not good enough for our school, especially based on the number of cupcakes we play. Have we had some excellent wins? Yes. Have we had more terrible losses and very ugly wins? Yes. Time to move on, regardless of our record the rest of the year. Our facilities, administration and finances are FBS ready, our coaching staff.........................no.
So what is the bottom line winning percentage number?
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
flameshaw wrote:A .680 winning percentage is not good enough for our school, especially based on the number of cupcakes we play. Have we had some excellent wins? Yes. Have we had more terrible losses and very ugly wins? Yes. Time to move on, regardless of our record the rest of the year. Our facilities, administration and finances are FBS ready, our coaching staff.........................no.
So what is the bottom line winning percentage number?
I think that it has a lot to do with our opponents and the status of the football team, ie. I-AA or I-A or a transition period. I believe that I can argue successfully, that the best coach LU has ever had, had a career losing record. It is also based on the level of talent one has on the team and how the team performs to that level of talent. We should never, ever, have lost a BSC football game, with the occasional exception to CCU.
As an example, the best basketball coach that I have observed in the BSC is Greg Marshall. A very, very close second is the guy who was at Campbell many years ago, can't remember his name right now (Billy?). He didn't have a fantastic record, but almost every year, he got 100% out of the talent he was able to recruit, to a school in literally the middle of nowhere, with a cracker box gym and a mediocre athletic department with no football program.
There have been too many occasions where this staff has failed to have a good game plan going into a game. There have also been several occasions where we have not made the glaring half-time corrections that were needed. We have lost games that we had zero reason to lose. We have lost games that were almost impossible to lose, but we were able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. We have consistently under-performed on special teams (until the last year or so). We have not been able to attract the OL and DL athletes that we need. We have had some good ones, yes, but overall they have performed inadequately as an overall unit.
In fairness to coach TG, we have won a few games we shouldn't have. He is a fantastic human being and face for our university and athletic department. I am not interested in winning at any cost. If/when that becomes the sole objective/mission, I am totally done. If a few things happen, outside of the athletic program, that I hear small rumblings of, I am done. It is very hard for me to even think about coming to this conclusion, but that is where I am. I have relationships to LU, that I have never shared with anyone, that go back before LBC/LU was ever a reality.
I would love to see HCTG in a position with the athletic department that does not include coaching football. Not sure that one could be created or needed, or that he would be interested in, but that would be the best of both worlds, IMVVVVVHO.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I'm talking LU FB moving forward. If what they have right now isn't acceptable what's your threshold?
By Class of 20Something
Purple Haize wrote:I'm talking LU FB moving forward. If what they have right now isn't acceptable what's your threshold?
From 2019 forward, .333 or worse for two consecutive seasons. .500 or worse for three. There is an obvious grace period of a new coach getting his system and players in, however there must be improvement.
Election 2022 and 2024

A congresswoman from a blue state gets you nothi[…]

Some statistics

Sometimes coaches will try to implement a philosop[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution,[…]

DOE Report

Gotta love presidential election season :roll: