Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I think it is too early to tell if we'll recoup the investment. But if we do, it will take years to happen.
By VarsityLu
Purple Haize wrote:The LU logo was on the ESPN ticker every week already
My point is, if you are not FBS, to 99.9% of America, you aren't playing football. In order to be associated with CFB, you need to be listed here:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... egular/13/
http://www.espn.com/college-football/sc ... /2/week/13
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sc ... 13/div1.a/

These are College Football Scoreboards. Most people in America don't even know there is any other football teams out there other than these 130 teams.
Last edited by VarsityLu on February 22nd, 2017, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
By ValleyBoy
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:PH is, unfortunately, correct about this. Liberty and Alabama are FBS, true, but nowhere near the same level. The sad reality is, until Liberty builds street cred with Ws, the relevance Liberty has on the top tier (i.e. P5) won't change. In fact, I would argue that JMU is seen as a more prestigious football program as an FCS than Liberty by many within the P5 circles. Yes, Liberty gets more scholarships now. Yes, Liberty gets to play FBS football. Yes, that SHOULD make Liberty better. However, there is the harsh reality that many "low-mid major schools" are very irrelevant in CFB. How relevant are the Sun Belt schools? They're not. Yes, there is name recognition, but (most) those teams are floundering in the bottom and would get beat by 7+ against JMU.
Edit: JMU is associated with winning. Liberty is associated with money. It's the harsh reality and one that should (I hope quickly) change.
Yes, Liberty will be seen as a very low level FBS member by P5 members which is no different than how the vast majority of P5 members see most non-P5 members.
Yes the Sun Belt has it bottom dwellers just like the other 4 G5 conferences. The main different between the Sun Belt and the other 4 G5 conferences is that there is not 1 or 2 dominant members of the conferences like some of the other g5 conferences. Yes JMU could compete with some of the present Sun Belt members but could they do it weekend and week out, that we will not know until they move up to FBS because no Sun Belt member has any reason to schedule them as there FCS game.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
:blahblah
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I think it is too early to tell if we'll recoup the investment. But if we do, it will take years to happen.
Based on your grasp of Athletic finance this response doesn't surprise me
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I think it is too early to tell if we'll recoup the investment. But if we do, it will take years to happen.

For years some said, "LU will never play FBS football. If they do it's decades away". :lol:
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Remember, back in 1971, some people laughed, when Dr. Falwell said he was starting up a college.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
When they expand the stadium they should go ahead do the visitors end zone and wrap it in red until the seats are needed. Would look better on TV.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:

For years some said, "LU will never play FBS football. If they do it's decades away". :lol:
It took decades
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
TH Spangler wrote:

It took decades
Yeah, but they said it last year. :lol:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
True. But my statement is based on the economic realities of intercollegiate Athletics. The vast majority of FBS FB programs lose money. I would not be surprised if only a handful of G5 programs made money.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
VarsityLu wrote:A few years old, but NCAA says only 24 FBS programs make money.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/med ... l-minority
It's the most recent data. I was surprised by the expenditure jump from 04 to 14 :shock:
I didn't see the report list programs in terms of ranking who made the most to who lost the most, but I'm sure something like that is out there. In 'start up' cases Like LU and CCU etc you have to factor in Capitol Improvement costs as well.
By Class of 20Something
If the BSC votes to keep us, does LFSN still get free reign over LU athletics or do they get pigeon holed into only covering football?
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
If the Big South allows all of our other sports to stay, I do not think we are in bad shape as a football independent.

The Big South has one of the best footprints of any conference. Many games are bus trips. The money that we save in regular conference travel cost for all of our other sports by staying in the Big South will help offset some of the costs of ONE SPORT, football, being independent and having to do more travel.

Providing the Big South provides us with the waiver, it puts us in a great position as we wait for a conference opening. I could even see a football conference simply taking our football team as an associate member, and the rest of our teams staying in the Big South. But even if we have to wait 10 years before a conference picks up our football team...we still will only be only spending a small portion on travel compared to what the Sunbelt schools have to do for all sports.

We REALLY, REALLY need the Big South right now. I know people say that there is always the Asun...but the footprint of the Big South is much better.
By LiberTbone07
I'm really happy that Liberty is out of the FCS. The FCS is basically the triple-a minor league of college football. Rooting for LU felt like rooting for the Columbus Clippers instead of the Cleveland Indians. I honestly don't care if we only win 3-4 games a season our first few FBS years, I'm happy to now be rooting for a legit college team.
By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
LiberTbone07 wrote:I'm really happy that Liberty is out of the FCS. The FCS is basically the triple-a minor league of college football. Rooting for LU felt like rooting for the Columbus Clippers instead of the Cleveland Indians. I honestly don't care if we only win 3-4 games a season our first few FBS years, I'm happy to now be rooting for a legit college team.
Welcome to the board! :welcome
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
LiberTbone07 wrote:I'm really happy that Liberty is out of the FCS. The FCS is basically the triple-a minor league of college football. Rooting for LU felt like rooting for the Columbus Clippers instead of the Cleveland Indians. I honestly don't care if we only win 3-4 games a season our first few FBS years, I'm happy to now be rooting for a legit college team.
+1
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
lawrenceq wrote:Some fans have turned uppity over the last week. :mrgreen:
Same thing happens to fans from other schools that have recently made the transition. Just go read the Sunbelt csnbbs. The wackiest fans are from the late move ups including our buddies at CCU.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Words never uttered about me
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
Same thing happens to fans from other schools that have recently made the transition. Just go read the Sunbelt csnbbs. The wackiest fans are from the late move ups including our buddies at CCU.
Some fans went from t-shirts and jeans to mink coats and shades. Before long Jerry's Jokers will dress like Broadway Joe.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
LiberTbone07 wrote: Thanks!
It's great having new folks on the board. Stick around and keep posting.

It is clear, regardless how much PH hates the move to FBS, the move has helped increase the following and interest of our fans/alumni.

Can't wait until there is a second tower on the student side with a packed house.
Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry defea[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]

LU Campus Construction Thread

Are they changing the name of The Jerry Falwell[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

The Race War (Caste system) began full implementat[…]