Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.
By Chris Lang
#527025 Looking at this from the Big South angle ... I'm not sure there's any upside to the league just throwing LU to the curb. This is different than the Coastal situation. LU has been vocal about its hopes of going FBS since 2012. Coastal came out of the blue and moved all of its sports in a flash. If you look at the remaining schools in the Big South, no inside knowledge, but I still think there's a very real possibility Presbyterian realizes it's out of its depth in Division I and moves back to DII. The league only has nine members to begin with if Liberty is out, and if PC goes, then you're getting into dangerous numbers territory for all-sports purposes. And the chances of adding schools are limited thanks to the deal with the A-Sun. There's probably more upside for the Big South to hang onto LU as long as possible.

As for moving into an FBS conference, the independent status will help in showing that LU is capable of competing at that level. But I still don't think the Sun Belt will ever have any interest, and unless there's a lot of movement between CUSA and the AAC, I'm not sure where the openings will be there.

I will admittedly eat a lot of crow since I was one of the fiercest proponents of the idea that the NCAA would never cave to the independent rule.
By ballcoach15
#527028 Good post above LUnpretty. Probably best one I have read in this thread.


I hope the "planners" at LU are looking at increasing parking lots as they expand stadium. I don't think we can handle a 35,000 crowd with parking we have now.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#527030
Chris Lang wrote:Looking at this from the Big South angle ... I'm not sure there's any upside to the league just throwing LU to the curb. This is different than the Coastal situation. LU has been vocal about its hopes of going FBS since 2012. Coastal came out of the blue and moved all of its sports in a flash. If you look at the remaining schools in the Big South, no inside knowledge, but I still think there's a very real possibility Presbyterian realizes it's out of its depth in Division I and moves back to DII. The league only has nine members to begin with if Liberty is out, and if PC goes, then you're getting into dangerous numbers territory for all-sports purposes. And the chances of adding schools are limited thanks to the deal with the A-Sun. There's probably more upside for the Big South to hang onto LU as long as possible.

As for moving into an FBS conference, the independent status will help in showing that LU is capable of competing at that level. But I still don't think the Sun Belt will ever have any interest, and unless there's a lot of movement between CUSA and the AAC, I'm not sure where the openings will be there.

I will admittedly eat a lot of crow since I was one of the fiercest proponents of the idea that the NCAA would never cave to the independent rule.


I think the openings will be there as the FBS bubble begins to burst for several schools. It is not a financially long term sustainable model for schools. JR alluded to it himself that TV contracts are becoming less and less lucrative. More and more schools will be reexamining their commitment to that level of football
LU is the Charles Foster Kane (that movie is very relevant recently) of Football. It is losing millions of dollars on football but they don't care. Because that can AFFORD to lose Millions of dollars a year in football. Just like Kane and his first newspaper.
User avatar
By LUnpretty11
#527031 Also, for those that still hate the fact that Liberty is going FBS Independent... The things worth doing - the most rewarding things - never come easily. It will be challenging, but it is absolutely worth it.

Ballcoach - the parking is there. Liberty fans are used to "convenient" and "free" parking. That will change. You may now need to walk a mile if you want to park for free. Or you now may have to pay $5-$10 for convenient parking, but the parking is there. Again, this encompasses an entire mindset shift from the athletic department and the entire fan base.
By ballah09
#527032 I look it at a different angle. I think Gill knows he has a free pass this year. He can actually use that excuse more than anything. and throwing away a year of eligibility of your best young players on a pointless year will actually hurt any case he has of being the HC next year.

Spot on Chris.
User avatar
By LUnpretty11
#527034
ballah09 wrote:I look it at a different angle. I think Gill knows he has a free pass this year. He can actually use that excuse more than anything. and throwing away a year of eligibility of your best young players on a pointless year will actually hurt any case he has of being the HC next year.

Spot on Chris.


Again, I challenge this thinking. If HCTG was in year 3, then yes. He is in year 6. He has to succeed this year and prove his worth to keep his job to be a part of the future.
User avatar
By VAGolf
#527035 Just a few thoughts:

1. To me, this seems to actually give Gill a couple of more years. JFJR seemed to be very "pro-Gill" yesterday. It didn't look like something you would see if Gill was actually feeling pressure. However, if we haven't started winning by 2018, that would be a great time to let go of TG. We would be a very attractive option to several coaches, but hopefully we won't even consider Art Briles.

2. I'm a little surprised that someone hasn't at least joked about this, but if TG is fired in two years, I would be interested to see if Rocco's name pops up. He still has lots of connections to the area and Liberty's dynamic will have changed in more ways than one since he was last in Lynchburg.

3. The scheduling absolutely is of concern. I don't think I would "trust" McCaw with anything, but this will be a very difficult task. We won't have an issue getting a game at BYU, or at Army...etc, but I would be very surprised to see any nationally recognized programs taking a trip here, at least in the near future. Get used to a lot of UMass, UAB, and App State.

4. This is the only benefit to being independent. We are going to have a ton of flexibility with LFSN. A lot of people don't realize that LFSN has been incredibly limited due to KK. Now that we don't answer to a conference, we'll have freedom to broadcast all of our games and to market how we wish. Over time, this could and likely will help with the scheduling concerns.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#527036
LUnpretty11 wrote:If I am HCTG, there is no way I will red-shirting my best players. Look at it through another lens. HCTG is on the hot seat. He just got handed the biggest and greatest recruiting tool possible and it is up to him to drastically and quickly increase the level of recruiting for the program. He is not out of the woods yet and he cannot afford to have a losing or "down" year in 2017. Excitement is there and the fan base needs a reason to remain excited through 2018 as we turn to 2019 full FBS status. That gives HCTG 2 years to recruit a 3-star core and maybe even land some 4-star recruits, and don't think that is impossible. Just last year Liberty was in the top 3 for a 4-star DB who was choosing between Michigan, Arkansas and Liberty. The stadium expansion will be there in 2018 or 2019. The indoor practice facility is a HUGE recruiting tool. Imagine being a 4-star recruit and seeing the facilities and a brand new 35,000-40,000 seat stadium with the promise of playing some prime-time schools across the country. Talk about YUGE. We all know the ramifications down the road and how it will boost and bolster recruiting, but HCTG isn't in a position to look down the road. He has to make it through 2017 and hope he still has a job for 2018. Essentially HCTG is interviewing for 2018-beyond during the 2017 season. He doesn't have the luxury of "red-shirting the best players". Having Buck as a Sr. QB in the first year of bowl eligibility is great! So it's up to HCTG to have a 3-star or 4-star QB lined up to take the helm in 2020-beyond. Liberty HAS to be drastically better by 2019 than they are now, and that means recruiting better players than we have now. I hope Calvert crushes it, but I also hope he will be considered a mediocre option by 2019 because of how much better our recruiting will be at that time. That is not a shot against Calvert or any other QB on the roster, but that is the mindset of how things have to change and in a hurry.

As for scheduling. I feel confident IM, JLFJR and others will get the scheduling figured out. The games are there and the pieces will fall into place. ODU has been vocal about wanting to be able to play Liberty after we paid them a visit in 2013. A cooler thought, can you imagine the crowd in Williams Stadium if Army came to Lynchburg to play? How incredible would that atmosphere be?! For those thinking this is the curse of LU sports, I encourage you to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. I'm not saying it will be easy, but the overnight change in mindset is incredible. There are schools that will have to come play Liberty in Lynchburg because they need the game. Also, Liberty has a great reputation for a game day experience, so that will only help bolster more schools coming to the bill. It will be a challenge, but it will be so worth it when we have FBS schools coming to the Burg!

Go Flames!


Hopefully no one gets distracted by this post. I haven't run it by the proper censors yet

That's a good thought about Gill. I guess it does all boil down to how much on a hot seat he feels. If he thinks it's hot then he absolutely will not Redshirt anyone that can help him right now. Who cares about Bowl Eligibility if you don't have a job. On the other hand if he feels safe and secure in his job then it would be smart to redshirt as many as he can. The next two years are totally irrelevant. Why burn a year on kids when you can use them later when it counts? Think long term. Also, you can sell it to the kids saying 'look you have a chance to play in 2 Bowl Games!'
Scheduling is going to be a lot harder then people think. I listed some teams I thought LU would get on a consistent basis but apparently everyone was to distracted to notice. But this is where Ian can make his money. He does have connections so hopefully what he told JR about his ability to bring teams to Lynchburg rings true
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#527037
LUnpretty11 wrote:Also, for those that still hate the fact that Liberty is going FBS Independent... The things worth doing - the most rewarding things - never come easily. It will be challenging, but it is absolutely worth it


Climbing Mt Everest is not easy. Lots of people die trying. If I went there right now and tried to climb I would probably die. Judging the worthiness of something by its difficulty is fraught with fallacy
By ballah09
#527039 I see your point. I believe the transition bought him another year or two and In the long run the smart thing to do is to redshirt the young talent.

also no more ASN :mrgreen:
User avatar
By lawrenceq
#527040 You guys cool with the ceiling being a conference championship and a bowl game? At least at the FCS level you can compete for a national championship.
By ballcoach15
#527041 In the current college football landscape, I think a bowl game would out weigh a BSC championship.

Someday we will be in a FBS Conference.

Why did KK limit LSFN ?

I think there will be some big surprises as to some of teams coming to LU. Some big boy teams may want to play in Lynchburg to aid recruiting in this part of the country. Some schools do play in uncharted landscapes to help with recruiting.
User avatar
By lawrenceq
#527042
ballcoach15 wrote:In the current college football landscape, I think a bowl game would out weigh a BSC championship.


I agree with that, but what about a FCS national championship?
User avatar
By LUnpretty11
#527043 I'm cool with the fact that we won't have to share a conference title for a least a few years, that will be nice!

PH, I get where you're coming from. Several schools have "died climbing that mountain" already. As many people have said, if there is a school to succeed doing it, it's Liberty. I get the redshirt argument and I would typically agree with it. It made complete sense for App, but when you're in your 6th year and just handed the best gift you can imagine... Success is paramount and time is of the essence. HCTG has to keep the fans engaged and excited for the next 2 years, he has no choice.

For the scheduling concerns. When was the last time App State came to Lynchburg for a football game? Who wouldn't want to see that game?! I would buy tickets tomorrow for that matchup. It is far more exciting to see NM State, UMASS and UAB in Williams Stadium than it is Presby, GW and Monmouth. That's not downing Presby, GW or Mon - it's just the fact of playing a higher caliber and more recognizable opponent. I'm not saying it's the best scenario, but the "playing for an FCS national championship" mindset has sailed. Liberty proved it wasn't going to win it by evidence of the last 2 seasons. Woodrums Sr. year was "our year" for the FCS title. It's time to move on and have a mindset shift from the top down. IM knows what he is doing. Risky and bad PR hire? Absolutely. Scrutiny and backlash for at least a year? Sure. If he's innocent, then that will not matter and we will be fine. Guilty? Whole other story and discussion.
Last edited by LUnpretty11 on February 17th, 2017, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
By LUnpretty11
#527045 Guys, put this in perspective. JMU won the NC this year. They are the champs of FCS football and slayed the NDSU dragon that hoarded that trophy for the last half decade. Their fans woke up this morning furious and envious of Liberty football. THAT is why this is such an amazing thing for Liberty football. Our facilities are or will be on par or better than any other FBS school in the state (maybe not size, but we all know size isn't everything - you're welcome PH). JMU is rolling in envy at our move to FBS. They are the National Champions, and they are envious. That's perspective.
By goldendomer
#527046 Congrats on the move up!
I will be cheering you on and hope your transition goes well. I am a Notre Dame fans(Raised around ND fans in my family) who happens to be Southern Baptist . I think you have a chance to plug in like ND does to the Catholic Schools across the country and pull some real good recruits. Very exciting times for you all .

God Bless!
User avatar
By LUnpretty11
#527047 Oh and for scheduling. Army has played AT some pretty low level schools in the last 6 years. They aren't a guarantee - obviously - but there is hope there and other schools with name recognition. Army at Williams Stadium might be a pipe-dream, but so was FBS for many on this board about 3-6 months/years ago.
User avatar
By R i
#527048
lawrenceq wrote:You guys cool with the ceiling being a conference championship and a bowl game? At least at the FCS level you can compete for a national championship.


We can blaze our own path. BYU, Notre Dame, Boise State, have all provided good examples. The great thing is , LU is not them, and they are not LU. We have a chance to write our own history. Given what LU has done in its short history , academically , politically, and socially, I have no doubt in my mind this University can make major moves athletically in my life time. I want to be alive when we beat Notre Dame in South Bend.

Taking a bit of a PR hit and hiring Ian makes so much more sense now. Jerry has worked tirelessly to make this move happen. I believe this last year has been the biggest in the schools history, and I am genuinely excited to watch it continue to grow.
User avatar
By Redbonebandit
#527049 Saw this article and thought this bit was interesting, don't care for the article title though. Sorry about the link I'm not sure how to shorten it.

"The program does not have a “bonafide invitation” from an FBS conference required by NCAA bylaws, but Liberty will use the two-year transition phase to secure one. It’s next home is most likely the Sun Belt or Conference USA."

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... stigation/
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#527050
LUnpretty11 wrote:Again, this encompasses an entire mindset shift from the athletic department and the entire fan base.


I wanted to revisit this statement so people catch it It's amazing how far the Athletic Department and fan base has come since the Sam days. I remember when people actually PAYING for tickets was seen as some sort of an anathema. And the game day experience is much better than it ever was (excluding concessions). And this step is going to require an equally bigly change in mindset.
For starters Alabama USC ND FSU OSU etc are not coming to Lynchburg on a regular basis if at all. Judging by this thread that is going to be the first change in mindset.
I believe the threshold is 6 FBS wins for a Bowl Game. How many wins does LU have in its history against FBS schools? How many 6 wins seasons does LU have? With an Independent schedule LU will be the Presby' on teams schedules LU will have to look long and hard to find those 6 wins to be eligible
LU won't be playing around New Years. The first LU Bowl game will generate crazy excitement as it should. But understanding it will probably be in Shreveport on a Tuesday before Christmas.
LU will have more scholarships available. But so will every school they play so they will not have an advantage they will be at parity. Just like they are now.
LU has really nice facilities. That will be its best selling point for the next couple of years
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#527051 App St hasn't scheduled LU for several reasons. Moving to FBS hasn't changed those reasons. I hope they do get over their issues though. It would be great for both schools
By A Sea of Red
#527052
goldendomer wrote:Congrats on the move up!
I will be cheering you on and hope your transition goes well. I am a Notre Dame fans(Raised around ND fans in my family) who happens to be Southern Baptist . I think you have a chance to plug in like ND does to the Catholic Schools across the country and pull some real good recruits. Very exciting times for you all .

God Bless!


Welcome to the board! :welcome
By A Sea of Red
#527053
Redbonebandit wrote:Saw this article and thought this bit was interesting, don't care for the article title though. Sorry about the link I'm not sure how to shorten it.

"The program does not have a “bonafide invitation” from an FBS conference required by NCAA bylaws, but Liberty will use the two-year transition phase to secure one. It’s next home is most likely the Sun Belt or Conference USA."

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... stigation/


Welcome to the board! :welcome
User avatar
By R i
#527054 I for one am looking forward to embracing the underdog role for a while. I was tired of being a Big Fish in a little pond and not having great success. The underdog role is much more endearing.
User avatar
By Redbonebandit
#527055
A Sea of Red wrote:
Redbonebandit wrote:Saw this article and thought this bit was interesting, don't care for the article title though. Sorry about the link I'm not sure how to shorten it.

"The program does not have a “bonafide invitation” from an FBS conference required by NCAA bylaws, but Liberty will use the two-year transition phase to secure one. It’s next home is most likely the Sun Belt or Conference USA."

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... stigation/


Welcome to the board! :welcome

Thanks been a long time reader, thought it was time to contribute.
User avatar
By lawrenceq
#527057
R i wrote:We can blaze our own path. BYU, Notre Dame, Boise State, have all provided good examples. The great thing is , LU is not them, and they are not LU. We have a chance to write our own history. Given what LU has done in its short history , academically , politically, and socially, I have no doubt in my mind this University can make major moves athletically in my life time. I want to be alive when we beat Notre Dame in South Bend.


I hear you, just wanted to bring a different angle to the discussion. I've always seen that as an advantage FCS schools had over non power 5 schools. I'd love to see them in the Sunbelt or CUSA.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#527058
lawrenceq wrote:
R i wrote:We can blaze our own path. BYU, Notre Dame, Boise State, have all provided good examples. The great thing is , LU is not them, and they are not LU. We have a chance to write our own history. Given what LU has done in its short history , academically , politically, and socially, I have no doubt in my mind this University can make major moves athletically in my life time. I want to be alive when we beat Notre Dame in South Bend.


I hear you, just wanted to bring a different angle to the discussion. I've always seen that as an advantage FCS schools had over non power 5 schools. I'd love to see them in the Sunbelt or CUSA.


CUSA would be better
User avatar
By LUnpretty11
#527060
Kolzilla41 wrote:
LUnpretty11 wrote:NG33!

??


NG33 is a legend. The word legend was coined thanks to NG33. Liberty to FBS was something he and I dreamed about almost 10 years ago and were never sure if it would ever happen.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#527061
LUnpretty11 wrote:
Kolzilla41 wrote:
LUnpretty11 wrote:NG33!

??


NG33 is a legend. The word legend was coined thanks to NG33. Liberty to FBS was something he and I dreamed about almost 10 years ago and were never sure if it would ever happen.


You are new to 'The Dream'. Ha. Happy you are happy
User avatar
By LUnpretty11
#527063 'The Dream' has been there for about 45 years. However, it has not been a reality until the last decade.
By ALAFlamesFan
#527064 Lots of talk and comments nationally today about us needing a conference/not making it as an independent but I disagree. I think our best bet is to go all in as an independent. Pump $ into LFSN and our GameDay experience. It will take a few years or a decade but our ceiling is higher that route than as a member of a G5 conference at this point. As long as our other sports have a home I am not for football joining a conference unless it is a power 5 which I don't believe will happen in my lifetime if ever.
By Chris Lang
#527065 I don't think Army in Lynchburg is a pipe dream. The Knights' 2017 road schedule includes Ohio State, Tulane, Rice, Air Force and North Texas. In '18, it's Duke, Oklahoma, Buffalo, San Jose State and Eastern Michigan. In '19, Michigan, North Texas, Western Kentucky, Temple, Hawaii. Army has played roadies against FCS schools in recent years. I'm sure they'd love to replace trips to San Jose and Hawaii with something closer.

Liberty will probably have to agree to a lot of 2 for 1s. That's how Coastal got Kansas to come. Heck, low-level P5s desperate for any road wins (Rutgers and the like) would probably love to schedule a roadie at Liberty, especially if LU adds a financial incentive.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#527067
ALAFlamesFan wrote:Lots of talk and comments nationally today about us needing a conference/not making it as an independent but I disagree. I think our best bet is to go all in as an independent. Pump $ into LFSN and our GameDay experience. It will take a few years or a decade but our ceiling is higher that route than as a member of a G5 conference at this point. As long as our other sports have a home I am not for football joining a conference unless it is a power 5 which I don't believe will happen in my lifetime if ever.


Without being a distraction can you be more specific as to what you mean by going 'all in as an Independent '
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#527068
Chris Lang wrote:I don't think Army in Lynchburg is a pipe dream. The Knights' 2017 road schedule includes Ohio State, Tulane, Rice, Air Force and North Texas. In '18, it's Duke, Oklahoma, Buffalo, San Jose State and Eastern Michigan. In '19, Michigan, North Texas, Western Kentucky, Temple, Hawaii. Army has played roadies against FCS schools in recent years. I'm sure they'd love to replace trips to San Jose and Hawaii with something closer.

Liberty will probably have to agree to a lot of 2 for 1s. That's how Coastal got Kansas to come. Heck, low-level P5s desperate for any road wins (Rutgers and the like) would probably love to schedule a roadie at Liberty, especially if LU adds a financial incentive.


Scary how we think a like on this
User avatar
By R i
#527070 The best part is , we did not even have to us an Executive Order by Mr. Trump. Jr still has that ace up his sleeve if things arent panning out in 2020.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#527071
R i wrote:The best part is , we did not even have to us an Executive Order by Mr. Trump. Jr still has that ace up his sleeve if things arent panning out in 2020.

:dontgetit
User avatar
By R i
#527072 It was a joke, that Jerry Jr didnt have to use his relationship with Trump to pull this off.
User avatar
By LUnpretty11
#527073
Chris Lang wrote:I don't think Army in Lynchburg is a pipe dream. The Knights' 2017 road schedule includes Ohio State, Tulane, Rice, Air Force and North Texas. In '18, it's Duke, Oklahoma, Buffalo, San Jose State and Eastern Michigan. In '19, Michigan, North Texas, Western Kentucky, Temple, Hawaii. Army has played roadies against FCS schools in recent years. I'm sure they'd love to replace trips to San Jose and Hawaii with something closer.

Liberty will probably have to agree to a lot of 2 for 1s. That's how Coastal got Kansas to come. Heck, low-level P5s desperate for any road wins (Rutgers and the like) would probably love to schedule a roadie at Liberty, especially if LU adds a financial incentive.


I don't disagree, in fact, I feel like this validates my post. I didn't bring up Yale because Yale is one of (granted FCS) the most historic football programs in America. I'm obviously not talking top level success, but they are an icon even with their FCS status.

I have no knowledge of our scheduling aspirations outside of speculation, which is why I labeled Army a "pipe dream".
By Chris Lang
#527075 I would think Army and BYU would both become viable scheduling partners, home and away, over the next few years for LU. BYU is playing roadies against the likes of Toledo, East Carolina and UMass (twice). It's hard to fill a 12-game schedule when you're an independent not named Notre Dame. Army has two opponents it plays on a yearly basis (Navy, Air Force). BYU has two (Utah, Utah State). Trips to Notre Dame will certainly not be out of the question, though ND has less scheduling flexibility since forming that ACC alliance to go along with yearly games against Navy, USC and Stanford. Don't think you'll see ND coming to Lynchburg, probably ever. Though I could see them playing Liberty at a neutral site like FedEx if they want to recruit DC. A lot of possibilities out there.
By thepostman
#527076
Chris Lang wrote:I don't think Army in Lynchburg is a pipe dream. The Knights' 2017 road schedule includes Ohio State, Tulane, Rice, Air Force and North Texas. In '18, it's Duke, Oklahoma, Buffalo, San Jose State and Eastern Michigan. In '19, Michigan, North Texas, Western Kentucky, Temple, Hawaii. Army has played roadies against FCS schools in recent years. I'm sure they'd love to replace trips to San Jose and Hawaii with something closer.

Liberty will probably have to agree to a lot of 2 for 1s. That's how Coastal got Kansas to come. Heck, low-level P5s desperate for any road wins (Rutgers and the like) would probably love to schedule a roadie at Liberty, especially if LU adds a financial incentive.


The financial incentives piece is what will help liberty have an advantage other independents haven't had.

I'm not expecting top 25 programs coming in but I think liberty won't be shy about throwing money around the get schools into Williams stadium.

Unless the money dries up which it will at some point unless they beef up their booster base. Which I know jerry hates.
User avatar
By LUnpretty11
#527077
Chris Lang wrote:I would think Army and BYU would both become viable scheduling partners, home and away, over the next few years for LU. BYU is playing roadies against the likes of Toledo, East Carolina and UMass (twice). It's hard to fill a 12-game schedule when you're an independent not named Notre Dame. Army has two opponents it plays on a yearly basis (Navy, Air Force). BYU has two (Utah, Utah State). Trips to Notre Dame will certainly not be out of the question, though ND has less scheduling flexibility since forming that ACC alliance to go along with yearly games against Navy, USC and Stanford. Don't think you'll see ND coming to Lynchburg, probably ever. Though I could see them playing Liberty at a neutral site like FedEx if they want to recruit DC. A lot of possibilities out there.


Liberty fans showing up in mass numbers for an away game has been both its strength, but an unknown. Do you use Liberty filling a neutral site stadium or bowl game?
User avatar
By LUnpretty11
#527078
thepostman wrote:
Chris Lang wrote:I don't think Army in Lynchburg is a pipe dream. The Knights' 2017 road schedule includes Ohio State, Tulane, Rice, Air Force and North Texas. In '18, it's Duke, Oklahoma, Buffalo, San Jose State and Eastern Michigan. In '19, Michigan, North Texas, Western Kentucky, Temple, Hawaii. Army has played roadies against FCS schools in recent years. I'm sure they'd love to replace trips to San Jose and Hawaii with something closer.

Liberty will probably have to agree to a lot of 2 for 1s. That's how Coastal got Kansas to come. Heck, low-level P5s desperate for any road wins (Rutgers and the like) would probably love to schedule a roadie at Liberty, especially if LU adds a financial incentive.


The financial incentives piece is what will help liberty have an advantage other independents haven't had.

I'm not expecting top 25 programs coming in but I think liberty won't be shy about throwing money around the get schools into Williams stadium.

Unless the money dries up which it will at some point unless they beef up their booster base. Which I know jerry hates.


Good point Postie. I wonder how much Liberty's $ and LFSN will entice FBS schools to come to Williams Stadium that normally would balk at such an invitation. It will be exciting to see how this all unfolds in the next couple years!
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#527079 As posted before and poo poo'd by certain board members here is who I think LU will see lots of over the next few years
Army
Navy
UMASS
Temple
ODU
A Florida Alphabet School
A Sun Belt School not named ASU

BYU I could see as a 2-1 I'm just not seeing the upside for them coming to Lynchburg. Although BYU Lite in in Buena Vista.
LU will most likely be playing more road games than home games for the next couple of years
By ALAFlamesFan
#527080
Purple Haize wrote:
ALAFlamesFan wrote:Lots of talk and comments nationally today about us needing a conference/not making it as an independent but I disagree. I think our best bet is to go all in as an independent. Pump $ into LFSN and our GameDay experience. It will take a few years or a decade but our ceiling is higher that route than as a member of a G5 conference at this point. As long as our other sports have a home I am not for football joining a conference unless it is a power 5 which I don't believe will happen in my lifetime if ever.


Without being a distraction can you be more specific as to what you mean by going 'all in as an Independent '


I mean "Embrace it"! Make it a strength rather than a weakness. Schedule in places we want to recruit. Spend $ on our TV network and promoting to our demographic. Build on our already good GameDay experience and promote that to lower G5 programs that would love to play in front of that kind of crowd.
User avatar
By Liberty22
#527081
Purple Haize wrote:As posted before and poo poo'd by certain board members here is who I think LU will see lots of over the next few years
Army
Navy
UMASS
Temple
ODU
A Florida Alphabet School
A Sun Belt School not named ASU

BYU I could see as a 2-1 I'm just not seeing the upside for them coming to Lynchburg. Although BYU Lite in in Buena Vista.
LU will most likely be playing more road games than home games for the next couple of years


I agree with most of this. I do agree we will see a few sun belt schools, CUSA, etc. I don't subscribe to the idea ASU wont schedule us. They did two years ago. I guarantee we get them for a home and home in the 2020's. I think we will see some Charlotte as well.
User avatar
By Liberty22
#527082
ALAFlamesFan wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
ALAFlamesFan wrote:
I mean "Embrace it"! Make it a strength rather than a weakness. Schedule in places we want to recruit. Spend $ on our TV network and promoting to our demographic. Build on our already good GameDay experience and promote that to lower G5 programs that would love to play in front of that kind of crowd.


This is what Notre Dame did. A lot of fans hated them because they were able to schedule whomever they wanted. They were envious while hiding behind a "they need to join a conference" blabber. It was pure jealousy. I KNOW we are NOT Notre Dame. But I like trying to emulate what they were able to do and hopefully some day we begin to see some success they had.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#527083
Liberty22 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:As posted before and poo poo'd by certain board members here is who I think LU will see lots of over the next few years
Army
Navy
UMASS
Temple
ODU
A Florida Alphabet School
A Sun Belt School not named ASU

BYU I could see as a 2-1 I'm just not seeing the upside for them coming to Lynchburg. Although BYU Lite in in Buena Vista.
LU will most likely be playing more road games than home games for the next couple of years


I agree with most of this. I do agree we will see a few sun belt schools, CUSA, etc. I don't subscribe to the idea ASU wont schedule us. They did two years ago. I guarantee we get them for a home and home in the 2020's. I think we will see some Charlotte as well.


Charlotte is a good call as well
ASU has some institutional reasons they won't schedule LU. I'm not sure those have been resolved or not.
Also, I wonder how scheduling during the meat of everyone's conference season will be.
By Chris Lang
#527085
Purple Haize wrote:As posted before and poo poo'd by certain board members here is who I think LU will see lots of over the next few years
Army
Navy
UMASS
Temple
ODU
A Florida Alphabet School
A Sun Belt School not named ASU

BYU I could see as a 2-1 I'm just not seeing the upside for them coming to Lynchburg. Although BYU Lite in in Buena Vista.
LU will most likely be playing more road games than home games for the next couple of years


Agree with most of this. Navy might be tough. They have a full AAC schedule and built in games non-con with Air Force, Army and Notre Dame. They essentially have one opening a year. ODU is a definite. They play so many far-flung conference games that I'm sure they'd love to stay closer to home for their non-cons.
By ballah09
#527086 I think we'll be seeing BYU a lot. There is a huge mormon population in the southern part of VA. The only mormon college on the east coast is in VA so it gives them incentives plus the $$$ too. We'll be seeing ODU on a regular basis and I think we'll keep the rivalry with Coastal. ASU, I'm assuming you mean App State. They supposedly refused to play Liberty before and they played in 2014. They'll play again.