Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
One FBS, one solid FCS school and finish it off with schools from the NEC, SWAC, and the MEAC. Simple as that. Please no d2 schools.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Ballah is spot on. If you listen to jerrys interview he said one thing that ive been saying for 2 years and you can tell it came straight from gill. Playing 2 fbs games a year doesnt do a thing for us but get us beat up. There is no advantage to it and it cost us an at large at least once if not twice. There are plenty of games like unnc odu appy ga state wake uva smu north texas type fbs games that we can play one or 2 of these a year and then add in a fcs power like jsu or william and mary and then fill the rest out with winnable games. Its the biggest disagreement i had with jb other than hiring and extending layer.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:We should not play any D2 teams.
Ok
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Haven't had a sub-D1 since 2012 I believe
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
We have the resources to schedule two guarantees a year (see Jacksonville and Robert Morris), so shouldn't need to play D2's anymore.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I am sure most of y'all feel the same way as I do about road games in proximity to where we live. So, I would like to see LU play some more games here in North Carolina.

Elon, NC Central, NC A&T, Davidson and it's a blessing that Campbell is going to be an every other year matchup in buies creek.
By flamesfan4life1
BJWilliams wrote:Haven't had a sub-D1 since 2012 I believe
We played two D2 teams in 2013 and one in 2014. The two D2 games in 2013 really hurt the strength of schedule and IMO contributed to us being left out of the playoffs that year. If those two games are filled with winnable FCS games we would have had a much better chance of receiving an at large that year.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
flamesfan4life1 wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:Haven't had a sub-D1 since 2012 I believe
We played two D2 teams in 2013 and one in 2014. The two D2 games in 2013 really hurt the strength of schedule and IMO contributed to us being left out of the playoffs that year. If those two games are filled with winnable FCS games we would have had a much better chance of receiving an at large that year.
I stand corrected FF4F1 thanks for catching that. I had forgotten...anyway, having winnable FCS games is nice and all, but there is the balance of scheduling winnable games and scheduling quality games as well Id think.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I agree we SHOULD never schedule them ballcoach, but sometimes you have to swallow your pride and fill the schedule with whoever will say yes (or will cut us a nice size check in some cases)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
A D2 won't cut LU a nice check.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I believe we cut D2 schools the check. We played someone in Lynchburg one year. I talked with someone from the school. He told me they got a check and if they stayed within 50 points of LU, they would consider it a moral win.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:A D2 won't cut LU a nice check.
I was referring to teams who schedule FBS games for late in the season...
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Just saw over on AGS that according to Craig Haley and STATS FCS St. Francis is making their first trip to Lynchburg since 2010 and the game is September 30
Just leaves getting the Indiana State game straightened out datewise and I think we have one more spot open
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Just saw over on AGS that according to Craig Haley and STATS FCS St. Francis is making their first trip to Lynchburg since 2010 and the game is September 30
Just leaves getting the Indiana State game straightened out datewise and I think we have one more spot open
That St. Francis game in Lynchburg was 7 years ago :shock:

We are all getting old in a hurry. Yikes.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I agree...PK had a breakout performance in that game and Kyle DeArmon I think had his first touchdown catch as well (and now he is our WR coach)...and I was in the band for that game too...oy...definitely achieved :oldhag status (and Im turning 35 this year...oh man...)
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
I think we are playing JSU away this year;)
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I think we all agreed on that proto.

Here is what we are looking at so far after that info from Haley:

Sep 02 - @ Baylor
Sep 09 - Morehead State
Sep 16 - Open
Sep 23 - @ Jacksonville State
Sep 30 - St. Francis (PA)
Oct 07 - Kennesaw State
Oct 14 - @ Monmouth
Oct 21 - Presbyterian
Oct 28 - @ Gardner-Webb
Nov 04 - @ Charleston Southern
Nov 11 - Open
Nov 18 - Open

Indiana State?

That puts at 10 games (9 with dates) so we have 1 more spot, 5 home and 5 away. Now my speculation is ADIMc will probably want to unbalance the schedule toward the home side to get us that extra gate, the thing is, getting a home game at the end of the year out of conference will be tough because everyone's conference schedules are locked in. The other side is that we basically are going to play for 9 straight weeks, either to start the year or to close the year and you have to think that kind of a grind will wear on any team. ASoR, any other word that can be had on possible games or dates?
By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
The schedule is done, has been for some time now, they're just waiting for the ink to dry on the final contract.

Here's what we know:
Sep 02 - @ Baylor
Sep 09 - Morehead State
Sep 16 - Indiana State
Sep 23 - @ Jacksonville State
Sep 30 - St. Francis (PA)
Oct 07 - OPEN
Oct 14 - Kennesaw State
Oct 21 - @ Monmouth
Oct 28 - @ Gardner-Webb
Nov 04 - mystery opponent
Nov 11 - Presbyterian
Nov 18 - @ Charleston Southern

The "mystery opponent" has been posted online in one place that I know of. You just need to dig around a bit :wink:

Sorry to go SlyFox on you, but I've been sworn to secrecy :lol:

Also, in the most recent RedSpin Podcast, there was a nice discussion on the schedule. That was published in December.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Look on Vul.edu. The Hill City Bowl!!!!
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I like how this is shaping up as well. In the NC you have two fairly winnable home games in MSU and St. Francis, you have a decent home game against a team from a top tier conference (possibly two depending on this "mystery opponent") and you have an FBS in Baylor which will get us a nice check even if we do get our teeth kicked in. Not to mention the schedule is laid out so we don't have a huge stretch of games that could wear us down unnecessarily.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would s[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]