Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Indeed...as I said before, he pretty much has to blow Masha away to get the starting job and while he has done well, Masha is still "the man" but I reckon Calvert will see the field a good bit.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Calvert keeps popping up on Gill's Radar. Much more than any back up I can remember in Gill's tenure here. I think at this point we are discussing how short will Marsha's leash be ? Will we have a package of plays for Calvert every game come conference time ?
By Equinox
Registration Days Posts
Will this kid get reps? Yeah most likely. However, the only reason that Calvert is constantly on Gill’s radar is because everyone else is hyping this kid to be some sort of savior, as opposed to a talented kid who has potential, but not enough to unseat Masha. Stephon deserves to be the starting QB, because he provides that dual threat needed when the WR’s aren’t open or those situations when the opponent’s defense is over powering the Flame’s O-line. Calvert threw for 1,500 yards and 13 touchdowns as a junior, in comparison to Masha who is his junior year had 2,221 yards and 25 passing touchdowns. Plus, if you factor in Stephon’s 2,001 yards passing 9 TD’s in the air, 13 rushing TD’s, and college game experience it’s no brainer that Masha is our #1 QB for this season.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
forbidden wrote:
LUnpretty11 wrote:In other news, I was right again. http://www.libertyflamesnation.com/trai ... y-1-recap/
Stephon Masha is the starting quarterback.
Rud was the 2nd QB mentioned - not a as in the depth chart - just the 2nd name out of TG's mouth.

haha
Forbidden,

I am confused by "haha". I am not sure what you are trying to say here?

Sincerely,

Substance Please
By forbidden
Registration Days Posts
your not as right as you think you are, I said it early on that Masha should or better not get hurt, or you have (imo) Braxton Miller 2.0, and I'm sticking to that
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
still not making sense coach...or at least not the sense pretty is looking for
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
forbidden wrote:your not as right as you think you are, I said it early on that Masha should or better not get hurt, or you have (imo) Braxton Miller 2.0, and I'm sticking to that
For the last 6+ months people on this board have over hyped Calvert. And by over hyped, I mean that they have suggested that he had a shot at taking over the starting job from Masha. I have said, and repeated, the only shot Calvert has at starting a game this season at QB is if Masha gets injured. To further my point, I am close to saying Masha is our best player on the team and the only way he does not start a game at QB this season is if he gets injured.

My point is not to say Calvert isn't any good. I believe he is a young, talented QB who has a shot at being the guy in the future. I am more interested to see the real battle between Yearick and Calvert than wasting our time implying Calvert could somehow be a better option at QB than Masha.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I agree on Masha. In my opinion, he should have gotten more "snaps" last season.
+1

It took 4 pages, but welcome to the team :mrgreen:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
IMHO the way Gill handled the QB position last year was the worst thing he has done in his time at Liberty He totally wasted a weapon (Masha) that if utilized properly could have made the team better, and by all appearances, the primary reason for doing so was not to upset his prima dona "4 year starter, 3 year captain" Hopefully he has learned from that mistake
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:IMHO the way Gill handled the QB position last year was the worst thing he has done in his time at Liberty He totally wasted a weapon (Masha) that if utilized properly could have made the team better, and by all appearances, the primary reason for doing so was not to upset his prima dona "4 year starter, 3 year captain" Hopefully he has learned from that mistake
You dance with who brung ya. It's easy to look back and criticize now. Goodness knows I was critical of Woodrums play. Not sure it rose to the level of benching him. You have to put a value on a kid with that type of experience regardless of what is going on in the locker room. As a coach you just figure that your Seniors will step up and make plays. Especially if they want to play at the next level. Those guys didn't.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
olldflame wrote:IMHO the way Gill handled the QB position last year was the worst thing he has done in his time at Liberty He totally wasted a weapon (Masha) that if utilized properly could have made the team better, and by all appearances, the primary reason for doing so was not to upset his prima dona "4 year starter, 3 year captain" Hopefully he has learned from that mistake
You dance with who brung ya. It's easy to look back and criticize now. Goodness knows I was critical of Woodrums play. Not sure it rose to the level of benching him. You have to put a value on a kid with that type of experience regardless of what is going on in the locker room. As a coach you just figure that your Seniors will step up and make plays. Especially if they want to play at the next level. Those guys didn't.
The issue with JW was he wasn't consistently playing at his potential. Agreed with Purp, that's not to say he should have been benched - although I'm not convinced oldflame was making that suggestion.

I wish I had the threads to all of the things people on this board were saying about Mike Brown when we brought in Tommy Beacher from S. Carolina. Not to sound like a broken record here, but where is that same excitement for Masha there was for MB? I continually say that because I don't think people on this board are getting how big time Masha can be for this team.

In summation, I am excited to see the shootout in Lynchburg on Sept 24th. You may be watching the 2 best QBs in FCS battle it out that night. That is Masha's potential.

With all that said, I will only continue the "QB Competition" by discussing the only real competition going on right now. Yearick vs. Calvert.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Relevant piece by Damien.

http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/liber ... 0bd77.html
Both freshmen have their strengths in the offense — Yearick a dual-threat with his ability to move outside of the pocket, and Calvert with his strong arm and precision passing — and the coaching staff has been focused on finding which quarterback has a better understanding of the up-tempo scheme.
Yearick was expected to have an edge on Calvert...
However, Calvert has backed up the hype surrounding his signing through the first two weeks of training camp...
“I think they’ve both been steady. I think Steve Calvert has been a little more consistent,” Gill said. “We’re going to go the rest of this week and we’ll make a decision early next week.”
- HCTG
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I was definately not suggesting Woodrum should have been benched, but when your offense is sputtering at times and you have a backup as talented as Masha, who also could give defenses a totally different look with his running ability, I think he deserved better than the one carry a game bone he was thrown, where everybody in the stadium knew he was going to run a keeper and he still averaged 8 ypc I might have a somewhat different opinion if Woodrum were consistently moving the team and putting points on the scoreboard He wasn't

A lot of coaches with a QB situation like we had last year would have given Masha a complete drive at least once a game to run the offense til we scored, punted or turned it over No QB controversy, just giving the backup some reps and the defense a different set of problems
By Jonathan Carone
The hype around Calvert has honestly made me somewhat dislike the guy. It's no fault of his own and I'm sure he's a great kid. I'm just so sick of everyone talking like he's the second coming of Jason Street.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:I was definately not suggesting Woodrum should have been benched, but when your offense is sputtering at times and you have a backup as talented as Masha, who also could give defenses a totally different look with his running ability, I think he deserved better than the one carry a game bone he was thrown, where everybody in the stadium knew he was going to run a keeper and he still averaged 8 ypc I might have a somewhat different opinion if Woodrum were consistently moving the team and putting points on the scoreboard He wasn't

A lot of coaches with a QB situation like we had last year would have given Masha a complete drive at least once a game to run the offense til we scored, punted or turned it over No QB controversy, just giving the backup some reps and the defense a different set of problems
I agree that using him for a series of two instead a play would have been better. I'm not sure it could have made Josh's attitude any worse!
By forbidden
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:The hype around Calvert has honestly made me somewhat dislike the guy. It's no fault of his own and I'm sure he's a great kid. I'm just so sick of everyone talking like he's the second coming of Jason Street.
Yes indeed, getting kind of stale here but bottom line is this, this kid is the REAL deal, PERIOD. I stick by what I am saying in that if the kid gets on the field for WHATEVER reason, he probably won't come off. Yes, HCTG probably won't come out and say that this FROSH is the better of the two, that would totally kill the vibe of your current most tenured QB, but lest y'all forget the man was a QB himself, so I am sure he is handling this the way he has to.

I dont remember LUPretty saying anything about an injury being the reason I do remember just him saying that by default we should run out Masha. It is what it is, tbh even if I wanted to see Calvert on the field I wouldn't want it to be at the expense of Masha, who undoubtedly DESERVED a few more snaps in some capacity last year. I just know that if its close I play the younger of the two, the other doesnt have that much experience anyways right?

How bout the squad get to the playoffs with either of them at QB.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
forbidden wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:The hype around Calvert has honestly made me somewhat dislike the guy. It's no fault of his own and I'm sure he's a great kid. I'm just so sick of everyone talking like he's the second coming of Jason Street.
Yes indeed, getting kind of stale here but bottom line is this, this kid is the REAL deal, PERIOD. I stick by what I am saying in that if the kid gets on the field for WHATEVER reason, he probably won't come off. Yes, HCTG probably won't come out and say that this FROSH is the better of the two, that would totally kill the vibe of your current most tenured QB, but lest y'all forget the man was a QB himself, so I am sure he is handling this the way he has to.

I dont remember LUPretty saying anything about an injury being the reason I do remember just him saying that by default we should run out Masha. It is what it is, tbh even if I wanted to see Calvert on the field I wouldn't want it to be at the expense of Masha, who undoubtedly DESERVED a few more snaps in some capacity last year. I just know that if its close I play the younger of the two, the other doesnt have that much experience anyways right?

This post is covered with incorrect statements.
Let's break it down...
Yes indeed, getting kind of stale here but bottom line is this, this kid is the REAL deal, PERIOD.
- This is exactly what I have been talking about. +1 to Jon on this sentence.
I stick by what I am saying in that if the kid gets on the field for WHATEVER reason, he probably won't come off.
- Only chance of this happening is if Masha gets injured - something I have said from the beginning of this discussion.
Yes, HCTG probably won't come out and say that this FROSH is the better of the two, that would totally kill the vibe of your current most tenured QB, but lest y'all forget the man was a QB himself, so I am sure he is handling this the way he has to.
- Nope. Not even close. They changed the entire offensive system for Masha. If Calvert was better than Masha, then HCTG would come out and say there was a QB battle like he did with Woodrum and Brian Hudson (woah, there's a name we all forgot!) over 4 years ago.
I dont remember LUPretty saying anything about an injury being the reason I do remember just him saying that by default we should run out Masha.
- That's fine, I've been saying it from the beginning of this topic.
I just know that if its close I play the younger of the two, the other doesnt have that much experience anyways right?
- The fact you turned this sentence into a question weakens your argument without debate. Masha has significant game experience based on his two starts, which came in the most crucial point of the most historic season in LU football history. Let's not forget how "doomed" many of us on this board felt that we had an inexperienced R-Fr trying to lead us, on the road, to the playoffs against the #1/#2 team in the country. Masha performed like a veteran under the pressure and the rest is history. A good coach will never play a younger player who "isn't quite as good" as a veteran for the sake of experience. Again, Gill/Dailey changed the offensive system to accommodate their starting QB, Stephon Masha.
I agree with you on the last sentence. I don't care if our QB is Masha, Yearick or Calvert if we WIN in the playoffs.

Please note, I mean absolutely no disrespect in stating these facts or arguing these points.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I'll say pretty that I don't think I have been riding the "Calvert Hype Train"...my stance has been pretty much from the day he signed that the ONLY way he supplants Masha is if he shows himself to be SO SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER that the coaching staff has no choice. He has shown well, and he has a chance to make his mark on the passing charts if he is in the program for 4-5 years, but Masha was the guy following the spring and will continue to be the guy barring injury as you noted.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I'll say pretty that I don't think I have been riding the "Calvert Hype Train"...my stance has been pretty much from the day he signed that the ONLY way he supplants Masha is if he shows himself to be SO SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER that the coaching staff has no choice. He has shown well, and he has a chance to make his mark on the passing charts if he is in the program for 4-5 years, but Masha was the guy following the spring and will continue to be the guy barring injury as you noted.
I am genuinely not sure what your point is here? You are stating a hypothetical obvious.

If Calvert is better than Masha
Then Calvert should start over Masha

The battle has and never will be (at least this season) been between Calvert/Masha or Yearick/Masha.

Masha is so far ahead of both of the Fr. I feel stupid for even responding anymore.

So let's talk about the real QB Competition

Yearick vs. Calvert

- Calvert comes from a high profile HS out of FL where they sent 10 (I believe) players to D-1 schools.
- Yearick comes from a Christian school in NC where he is the first player to go D-1.
- Calvert comes in with the swagger and has been around the talent he is around now.
- Yearick comes in with a humble perspective and definitely needed the spring to get used to the step up in talent.

Arm Strength
Calvert ++
Yearick +

Accuracy
Calvert ++
Yearick ++

Athleticism
Calvert +
Yearick ++

Ability to run the system
Calvert +
Yearick ++

The question comes down to if the coaches want someone who is a little bit further along in overall talent in Calvert or if they want someone who can step in and run the system better if Masha goes down in Yearick.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
How on earth can you type an evaluation like that as if it was a stone cold fact when Calvert has only been on campus 3 weeks and practices are closed You have been hyping Yearick a lot I really have no problem with that, especially since he seems like such a great kid and so on board with the Liberty mission Everything I am hearing from other sources is that Calvert is the superior talent and despite the edge Rud got from being there for Spring practices Buckshot has looked better this Summer

The decision on who will be redshirted will not necessarily be based just on who is the second best QB after Masha I suspect if Yearick is chosen to be the backup this year it will have a lot to do with him being somewhat more similar to Masha in his ability to run and thus less of an adjustment for the offense I suppose they may also factor in wanting to save that year of eligibility for Calvert down the road, although I don't really like it Because of factors like these, it's quite possible Buckshot could actually have the edge, but get the shirt if the competition is close It's also possible that the coaches could think Calvert is clearly better, but still start out redshirting him and hope and pray Masha stays healthy Yearick could be the mop up guy or run a series or 2 if Stephon gets nicked Then, if Masha has a serious injury, all bets are off and you decide if you want to stay with Rud or burn the shirt That's a bit of a risky way to go, and the decision gets harder the later you get in the season
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Calvert made it clear he wanted to play early, and that is a major factor as to why he picked LU. SOR has stated that if BuckShot doesn't play in his first two years, it would be likely that he will transfer. Based upon those factors , you have to think the coaches have told him repeatedly that the best QB will play despite years of eligibility. It is a fantastic problem to have.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:Calvert made it clear he wanted to play early, and that is a major factor as to why he picked LU. SOR has stated that if BuckShot doesn't play in his first two years, it would be likely that he will transfer. Based upon those factors , you have to think the coaches have told him repeatedly that the best QB will play despite years of eligibility. It is a fantastic problem to have.
I hear you, but in the same interview where Calvert said he wanted to be able to play early and break records, the point of reference was "like the guy they have now" Guess what that guy did as a Freshman

Someone saying they think Calvert will transfer if he doesn't play in 2 years is first of all, just an opinion, and secondly, having to sit a year as a transfer is actually going to increase how long it would take him to get on the field as a D1 player I think Buckshot will be OK as long as he feels he has had a fair shot and the reason he isn't playing is that Masha is doing a great job and we are winning
Last edited by olldflame on August 24th, 2016, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Half of the ads are about how Bob Good is tough on[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]