This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I hestitate to post this here since this is an episode I think everyone wishes they could forget. But since the school continues to be dragged through the court system I'm posting it here:

California Appellate Court Public Record

This doesn't speak highly of either of the former LU players. And I certainly have a great deal of sympathy for Roman's current physical state. But it is a major stretch to blame LU for his plight.
By matshark
Registration Days Posts
yeah, so it's LU's fault that he snuck out and went drinking despite the fact that he knew it was against the rules, so the fact that they didn't kick him out of school somehow led to him falling off of a train trestle....hmm...

maybe he should've been taught a little bit more how to respect the rules he agreed to abide by when he signed his papers for his scholarship... just a thought...
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
I agree...this case is pretty weak, and my roomie who is in law school agrees. This is a huge stretch to hold LU responsible, and though I'm sorry it happened, the kid himself is the one who got himself in that situation to begin with.
By whmatthews
Registration Days Posts
Anyone else find it funny that the kid's name is Marlon Brando?
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
there is no case...but I am sure in the future Liberty will take things like this a bit more seriously...
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Judge sides with LU ...
Wednesday, April 30, 2008
Page 1

Student-Athlete’s Recruitment Did Not Create Jurisdiction—C.A.

By KENNETH OFGANG, Staff Writer

Efforts by an out-of-state university to recruit a California student-athlete to play college sports did not constitute minimum contacts sufficient to confer long-arm jurisdiction on the state’s courts, the Fourth District Court of Appeal ruled yesterday.

Div. Two affirmed San Bernardino Superior Court Commissioner Michael Gassner’s order quashing service of summons on Liberty University in a suit by former football standout Marlon Brando Roman.

Roman, a 2003 all-Big South Conference selection as a freshman, suffered catastrophic brain injuries in a fall from a train trestle in Lynchburg, Va., where Liberty is located. The fall allegedly occurred after Roman was assaulted by his roommate and fellow California recruit, Shane Lancaster, from San Marcos, after the two had been out drinking.
Click Here for Full Story
By INeedAManager
Registration Days Posts
just out of curiosity how well known was this whole situation when it happened. did the N&A or WSET carry the story or was the university able to keep things quiet.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Roman's fall and injuries were well chronicled. The circumstances surrounding them are more interesting to us than the rest of the world and as a result were not really out in the public.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
man, I didn't read any of these stories until just now. I remember when this happened. The entire campus really just stopped what they were doing when word got around about this guy being seriously hurt and the compassion shown through concern and prayer was phenominal. We didn't really know any details at the time other than he fell from the tracks and was possibly going to die. After reading that, it seems like he was a real turd and his gaurdians, who are doing the suing, is apparently where he got that from.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
I was a student at the time, but can't recall this. :dontgetit
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
you miss a lot when you're hungover every morning.
Last edited by LUconn on May 1st, 2008, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, it happens
By RagingTireFire
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:After reading that, it seems like he was a real turd and his gaurdians, who are doing the suing, is apparently where he got that from.
I think a more reasonable explanation is that the guy has serious medical problems as a result of his injury and desperately needs money to cover costs.

By the way, love the new avatar.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
RagingTireFire wrote:
LUconn wrote:After reading that, it seems like he was a real turd and his gaurdians, who are doing the suing, is apparently where he got that from.
I think a more reasonable explanation is that the guy has serious medical problems as a result of his injury and desperately needs money to cover costs.
These 2 explanations, do not contradict each other. They compliment.
By RagingTireFire
Registration Days Posts
Except that mine replaces "human turd" with "desperate and broke".
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Well, not every desperate and broke person goes around suing whoever they think they have a shot at. It takes a special type to try to collect from a party which they darn well know was not at fault.
By RagingTireFire
Registration Days Posts
Disagree. Given their current circumstances, I think it's the "special types" who wouldn't sue whoever they think they have a shot at.

I don't know if that makes me more cynical or less cynical than you.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
matshark wrote:yeah, so it's LU's fault that he snuck out and went drinking despite the fact that he knew it was against the rules, so the fact that they didn't kick him out of school somehow led to him falling off of a train trestle....hmm...

maybe he should've been taught a little bit more how to respect the rules he agreed to abide by when he signed his papers for his scholarship... just a thought...
stop bringing common sense into this...its nearly non existant in california
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote: They complement.
FIFY (right, JDUB?)
By bozlady
Registration Days Posts
I have started a GOFUNDME page for Marlon and his family. I've known his condition all along, we even took a trip out to California to spend time with him and his family. I have respected the Romans decision to keep his condition private until recently when they gave the go ahead. We appreciate any help you can give. If you don't want to that's fine but if you do, thank you so much!
https://www.gofundme.com/marlonbroman
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Have they considered filing for Social Security/SSI benefits?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Gosh, that breaks my heart. Thanks for posting, Bozlady.
By bballfan84
Registration Days Posts
That Shane Lancaster kid was a straight toolbag..just not a very good person
By #10
Registration Days Posts
No doubt about it...Marlon knowingly and deliberately did a lot of things it hurts us to talk about.
No doubt about it...Marlon is living a hell on earth.
No doubt about it...Marlon's parents life has been over for the last eleven years with no end in sight. They work different shifts so that someone will always be there to care for him. They come home to their second job - a never ending one. Marlon doesn't get bed sores or diaper rash or infections. His body gets massaged. His feeding tube gets cleaned. Day after day after day. There is no response. They don't know what he is thinking...can he think ? Can he pray ? Can he hear ?
There is no money. There is no free time. There is no resentment. There is only love for their son.
Have you ever been spared of consequences ?
How about we show the Roman's some Christian Love .... spiritually and fiscally . Isn't that the whole purpose of LU ?
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
^ great post

made me rethink my attitude
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]