This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Flamesfanva
Registration Days Posts
With the growing student population, it seems to me that the LU bookstore needs more space. Some of the items that the bookstore sells at games, isn't even displayed in the store because of space. It would be nice if a location could be found that would make it more visible for visitors to see and visit, as well as displaying more Flames gear.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The countdown for A-Train to appear in this thread is on.

5 ...

4 ...

3 ...

2 ...

1 ...
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Hey, give him a break. He bailed me out and gave me a pencil today so I wouldn't have to buy one before an exam.
By Flamesfanva
Registration Days Posts
The lack of display space was not only evident to me, but said by a bookstore employee as well. Just a fact as the university continues to grow.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Thanks SJ, it was not a problem...and Flamesfan, my fellow bookstore employees and I completely agree. We are going to be remodeled this summer, and Campus North Bookstore is moving across the hall from its current location over there, but not as big as we all originally thought. The remodeling job really is only going to give us bigger shelves and move the entrance and registers around...not increase floor space, which is desparately needed.

For those that don't believe we need more room, come into the bookstore during the first couple weeks students return from break...
By Flamesfanva
Registration Days Posts
Without relocating I don't see how you can gain more floorspace in DeMoss as you are locked with hallways. Good to hear about the remodeling, but as you obviously know, you guys just need more space. That would allow better traffic flow and the ability to carry more merchandise. I have been in there at such busy times as the start of a semester and left as you could barely move.
By PeterParker
Registration Days Posts
If they insist on keeping the religion hall building, remodel the interior and exterior and turn that into the bookstore...
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
That's acually a good idea. Religion classes are relocated to floor 3 in Demoss and make that a giant book store. The outside doesn't need remodeling though. They've already made it match the look they're going for. The problem is, that is a prime peice of real estate on campus and I don't think a cool bookstore is on the top of their agenda.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:That's acually a good idea. Religion classes are relocated to floor 3 in Demoss and make that a giant book store. The outside doesn't need remodeling though. They've already made it match the look they're going for. The problem is, that is a prime peice of real estate on campus and I don't think a cool bookstore is on the top of their agenda.
Sad but true LUConn...anyway, the rumors that management have been circulating amongst employees are:
1. We're moving to a new student center being built in front of Hancock
2. B&N is going to build a bookstore in Upper P1 and we'll be like William and Mary's

But I doubt either is going to happen b/c 1-management is the only one talking about that new student center (I haven't heard anything from anyone else) and 2-LU, at the present moment, can't lose upper P1 as parking and 3-the top people at the bookstore also told us we'd be getting bigger by remodeling during last summer, so their credibility isn't great. As such, I think we're going to be stuck in DeMoss with our current size, which was designed for only $2.5 million but does over $5 million annually, with projections of $7.5 in the very near future (but that includes the CN bookstore).
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
what about David's Place? If the family wishes it to remain something other than an athletic facility, this would be a great use.
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
Yeah there is no way they can put it in P-1, it's a total circus trying to park in that whole lot.. Also I can't imagine them putting it in front of Hancock, I guess they want people to have to walk across the main road... Religon hall sounds perfect to me, plenty of space there... By the way anybody see those Tommy Golf Polo's they got towards the back they are $75 (Atrain) I smell a discount!!!!!! I will take the Championship color of CAROLINA Blue in a XL... Just Kidding!!!!!!
Last edited by givemethemic on May 9th, 2006, 4:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By Flamesfanva
Registration Days Posts
The religion hall sounds like the perfect place. I had thought about David's Place, but after reading about the family not allowing it to be used for an athletic facility, I figured a bookstore would be out as well. Be nice if BN would put up some $ to build a new place on campus.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
givemethemic wrote:Yeah there is no way they can put it in P-1, it's a total circus trying to park in that whole lot.. Also I can't imagine them putting it in front of Hancock, I guess they want people to have to walk across the main road... Religon hall sounds perfect to me, plenty of space there... By the way anybody see those Tommy Golf Polo's they got towards the back they are $75 (Atrain) I smell a discount!!!!!! I will take the Championship color of CAROLINA Blue in a XL...
Sorry GMTM, but only my immediate family (by DNA) uses the discount...
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
I like the idea of using the religion hall as well. The bookstore was to small 10 years ago and remains appx the same size. Is all of the Upper Levels of the DeMoss building being used, such as the 3rd and 4th floors. Maybe that could be used for a B&N type bookstore.
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
I got a debug error message, sorry . I didn't realize the first message was posted.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]