This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Falwell says he would support McCain in 2008

05/07/2006

Associated Press

The Rev. Jerry Falwell calls Sen. John McCain "the kind of conservative candidate whom I would have little trouble supporting" and "one of America's most profound heroes." And, should McCain be the GOP nominee for president in 2008, Falwell says he would support him.

Just don't think that's an endorsement of a McCain candidacy.

"Mr. McCain has never sought such an endorsement, and I have not offered one," Falwell wrote in a column published Sunday in The New York Times.

Falwell denied suggestions that in inviting McCain to deliver the commencement address at Liberty University on Saturday he was supporting McCain in a run for the White House. McCain has said he will decide next year if he will seek the Republican nomination for president.

Instead, Falwell said, he was continuing the tradition of bringing outstanding leaders to the evangelical Christian institution he founded in Lynchburg, Va., in 1971 — "including some who may not completely agree with Liberty's philosophy."

Falwell supported George W. Bush's candidacy in 2000. During the campaign for the GOP nomination, McCain included the conservative leader among the "agents of intolerance" he criticized in a speech.

Falwell wrote that he asked to meet with McCain last September to put aside any misunderstandings. "We did not ask for apologies from each other, nor were any offered," he said. "No ideological deals were brokered."

Since accepting the invitation to speak at Liberty University, McCain has said he and Falwell still disagree on some issues but have agreed to move ahead.
http://www.wvec.com/sharedcontent/APSto ... 4RCO3.html
By Brokeback Flamer
Registration Days Posts
Yep it is all about power. Nothing changes, a leopard can't change its spots and JF can't stay out of politics. So you are going to endorse a guy who authored a bill that flies in the face of the constitution (McCane Fiengold) calls you and your people agents of intolerance and who hasn't given a straight (not that I am against THAT) answer in years. I wonder how many of Jerry's Faithful will fall in line and support JM? It will be tough to vote against RUDY if he runs. For my money, I was sort of hoping that Barney Frank would run. Now THAT is a candidate I can get behind!
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
It must have been a rough childhood brokeback...
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
I like RUDY alot and I hope that he does run...
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
whats the deal with all of these socially liberal (on some issues) republicans I have to choose from? Why not throw Ahnold on there? (besides the fact that he cant run) Looks like I'll have to trash my vote and give it to a Libertarian. Not because I agree or think they could possibly win, but I guess if enough people did it, it would send a message.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
I'm still pullin' for Condi to run. I'm not a McCain fan. If it's him vs. Hillary though, I'd be glad to support him.

Some others I'd like to see out there:
- J.C. Watts
- Bill Frist
- George Allen
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
TallyW wrote: - J.C. Watts
Ding ding ding. We have a winner. The best man for the job who would never get elected. I can just see it now, the redneck side of the republican base not voting for him because he's black and Sharpton and Jackson throwing out uncle tom references because he's a black. I always hoped the man had resigned from his spot so that he could gear up for a presidential run but I think he just wanted out of politics for the most part.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Watts was too intelligent for politics. I don't blame him for getting out. That and I believe he campaigned with a promise of a term limit- only he is one of the very few, if not the ONLY, politician with enough integrity to keep his promise. Unfortunately for the country! A good man.
By Brokeback Flamer
Registration Days Posts
LU - Why would you vote Libertarian. We are MUCH more socially liberal than ANY of the Republicans running!!!
TALLY - it wasn't too bad of a child hood. I had Liberace', Rock Hudson, Freddie Mercury and the uncle from Bewitched to look up to as role models!
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
oh I know, but if I'm getting a socially liberal guy in office anyway, I'd rather have one who is going to remain fiscally conservative instead of running as one and then spending like crazy.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-h[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]