This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I hate them. I wish they'd just take what they need instead of taking half of everyting and then giving some back. Or better yet, just do a national sales tax. Anyway, that's not my point.

Anybody not do them yet like me? I went to H&R Block last year because I had some K-1 form or something I had no idea what to do with. But I watched him do it and I feel that I can easily do it. None the less I've been thinking about getting TurboTax or something like that. It's a little expensive but at that price, it's got to be updatable from year to year correct? It'd be crazy to have to buy a new one each year. Even if you did, still cheaper than what I paid last year. Anybody have any recommendations? Do it myself with a pencil? Jackson Hewitt? Find a CPA? TaxCut (this is software my dad uses)?
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I do mine myself- and I normally procrastinate until the first week of April. ie: no, they're not done yet.

I also do them by hand, using the tax tables, filing the long form and itemizing. You really do better that way.

Next year (post marriage) I am being advised that I will be forwarding my info to Mrs2b's accountant though )something about my accounting methodology), so this is my swan song.

As far as the Turbo Tax software- I have heard that it is very good, but I'm not so sure it updates yearly. I believe you really may have to purchase the new version every year to keep up w/ changes in the tax code, but you'd wanna verify that.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
My mom does mine...

Me: The government wants HOW MUCH? AND THEY'RE STILL LOSING MONEY? GRRRR!!!!!!!!
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I did mine myself last year but haven't done em yet this year. I don't have the updated program.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
You guys need to live in states where there are no state income taxes (i.e. Texas & Florida among others).

I used to do my iown taxes until my mother-in-law retired from the IRS and began doing ours for us. She knows the tax code and helps us maximize deductions.

Back in the day when I could do the 1040EZ, doing taxes was a snap. But once you start fully utiliziing alll the deductions it gets extremely complicated.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
tell me about it. Hence, Mrs2b putting her foot down next year. Something about not sharing a jail cell.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
I use H&R Block's online sytem. It's been very nice for the last three years. Although, I've had to pay through the nose the last two years. It's not because I don't maximize my deductions. My employer just seems to have trouble keeping up with exactly how much it is I make. Ahem. :roll:
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
i've used turbotax for the past 2 years and its only taken an hour each time...and thats going through the investment portion as well...
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
well la dee da Mr. Investments. did you have to buy a new version this year or were you able to upgrade last years? Or did you just grab a bootleg copy?
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]