This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Well we dont have a Off Topic section but I just wanted to see what kind of tips and tricks yall have or use on the computer or just in everyday life...

I'll start....

Google Toolbar - it's got everything, you can search right from your toolbar and it's even got a spell check so idiots like myself dont misspell things on message boards...it's pretty neat

http://toolbar.google.com/?promo=mor-tb-en

1-800-555-TELL - I know I already said something on FH about this but I use it about 100 times a day so it gets another shoutout....ITS FREE....just say "SPORTS"....."COLLEGE BASKETBALL"....."LIBERTY" and it'll give you up to the minute scoring....it's got most sports and all D1 teams....it's even got us for football...it's a great weapon

Buyer Tools Reminder - I dont know if anyone else buys and sells on ebay like I do but this is the best tool...you put the item you want to bid on in there, but in the max. bid amount and it'll bid on the item with only 5 seconds left so you are likely to win...I've lost so many times to people sitting at their computer waiting for the last second, now I dont even have to be home....it'll even send an update to your cell phone letting you know if you won or not & IT"S FREE

http://www.buyertools.com/index.php?content=programs
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
if you're a multitasker who doesn't want to waste time moving your mouse around alt+tab is a great command that few use. You can even use it to quickly hide flamefans.com from a stealthy boss.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Hey guy's I can tell this thread went over like a lead balloon..but if you guys listen you'll thank me!!!

I got a new one.....

Google Desktop actually changed, it now offers A TON more....it is docked on the right side of your screen and tells you how your computer is performing, if you have new email (gmail), news is updated every few minutes (a lot of sports) and it scrolls through your pictures on your computer....it's very useful, it even has a search tool that will search through your files and recently visited websites...it's worth a shot, and it's FREE!!!

Not to mention how great Gmail is since it's unlimited storage so you never have to delete emails again and it'll file them away....again FREE
http://desktop.google.com/?pr=mp-gd-en-v3-1

And google earth is SICK....if you live in a big area, like NY or somewhere you can actually see your house and pool or car that sits out front from Surveillance planes and other tools the govt uses...it's a lot like something you'd see on a movie....the basic version is free

http://earth.google.com/
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I am seriously down with Google Earth. Its a cool toy but it didn't have the overall applications that the business community was expecting and that's why Google's stock has been in a freefall recently.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Google in general has a good foundation...just the way it was all set up...having some people working on things to introduce to the community now and having some working on things for 10 years down the road...it's pretty neat

I was lucky enough to get in the stock right when they went public...
By Flamesfanva
Registration Days Posts
I'm going to try the buyer tools, because I also have been outbid at the last few seconds.

I also now use Mozilla Firefox as a browser instead of Internet Explorer. A whole lot less popups and there is a weather channel addon that will show the next few days of weather right in the tool bar and will notify you of weather alerts.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
one of my partners at work swears by Mozilla Firefox, but I noticed a lot of problems on the desktop he uses- possibly due to the fact that he loaded it overtop of Explorer? Maybe a software conflict- but can you actually totally extract IE w/out destroying Windows?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I've been a Firefox man for the past couple of years and I love it. I have to use IE at work, but its all Firefox at my house. I'm not as crazy about some of Mozilla's other applications.

You don't need to scrap IE to use Firefox. I have both on my machines at home and it works great.

Come on, El Scorcho. Share your secrets.
Last edited by Sly Fox on March 6th, 2006, 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Megadittos on FireFox, SlyFox!
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Star Wars to Limbaugh nation. I can only imagine what's next
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
I've had the Weather Chanel Desktop for some time now although it's been replaced with Google Desktop...i'm telling you its the best thing ever, everything it offers and so convenient
By Flamesfanva
Registration Days Posts
I love it! So much garbage out there is tied to internet explorer. I have far fewer headaches, if any with Firefox.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
HMO, I started using 800-555-tell the weekend we played @ radford, and have been hooked ever since. I constantly find myself calling it whenever I am on the road. Thanks for the info.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
everytime I call that freakin thing it won't give me the scores I want- NCAA baseball, softball, tennis or golf. Or have they changed it in the last month?
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
on another note- am I the last one to realize that if you switch your profile from "Acid Blood" to "Acid Blood Ex" it widens the screen and you don't get that scrunched up look that forces you to slide the bar sideways to read the whole post?

just re-read that and if it makes any sense, you guys are as nuts as I am. I know what I meant- nevermind)
By MDIVIVVY
Registration Days Posts
How can you not mention the ESPN Scroll bar... Ah good stuff.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
I don't want to change the topic and turn this into a discussion about cool web pages, so don't take it as that. But the best "tool" I use on the Internet is www.Refdesk.com. More useful stuff than any website I've ever been to. And you can find more tools while you're there.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
yeah that bottom line download from ESPN is pretty cool....that's OLD SCHOOL I had that back in High School (even though that wasnt to long ago)
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
what do you guys like about FireFox so much more than IE? I've never used FF
By Flamesfanva
Registration Days Posts
I like the fact that it isn't the target (as of yet) of so many popups and virus attacks. I also like the toolbar for google or you can get it setup for ESPN, Ebay, Weather Channel or several other sites. I don't get FF crashing as much as IE does on my PC. You can import your favorites from IE to FF. It's worth giving a try. I still use IE sometimes, but for me FF is it.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
I'm going to give it a shot...your not kidding about the google toolbar, I misspell words like I blink, once every second....but that saves me...but I'm in love with the new google desktop, I love how I can search for files or recently visited websites for into and you dont have to wait for the search...I love the todo list, scratch pad and it has about 100 other options on the website you can add to it like Ebay, and other great features...I'm done :D
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I use Flashpeak Slimbrowser instead of IE and like it a lot better than Firefox.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I haven't tried that one, SJ. I'm so two years ago.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
flash-who, what-browner?

I'm still using Windows 3.1
By Flamesfanva
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:flash-who, what-browner?

I'm still using Windows 3.1
:lol: I remember using that. Seems so long ago, but good ole Bill Gates keeps improving so we can keep buying :D
5 plus 7 model

[rob lowe voice]I am LITERALLY in Dublin next […]

Family Travel Obsession

I am with you, TH Spangler. I love the mountains i[…]

Prayers please

My neighborhood in Gambrills was great. Great f[…]

The COVID-19 Megathread

Fauci Hearing 10 am today. https://oversight.hous[…]