This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Just watched the documentary series on sexual abuse in the IFB movement on MAX called, "Let Us Prey". The entire experience was heartbreaking to watch.

Link Here

Sadly I know firsthand way more about the characters involved than I would prefer. It makes continued references to Jack Hyles as the so-called founder of the movement. But it stayed away from his scandals that my grandfather first brought to light back in the '80s. But it does reference how his son Dave has managed to avoid prison in spite of a being a serial child rapist across the country.

Prevo proudly declares his "honorary doctorate" from Hyles-Anderson College. IMHO there is nothing honorable about that place. Lester Roloff is referenced as well. It is not difficult to have your stomach turn in what was for many of us our little corner of Evangelicalism.

The IFB was notorious for moving sexual predators around between churches for decades. It has always been the dirty little secret of the movement. Count me among those glad to see this sin being brought to light.

It is the same "protect the shield"mindset we see in this docu series that we saw prevalent at LU over the years to cover up wrongdoing. Some might suggest that it is still the case with certain members of our board who came out of the IFB movement. I wouldn't argue.
flamehunter, ATrain liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
It is quite disturbing how much abuse and coverup has occurred in the church and Christian institutions. This includes the IBF churches, LU, the Catholic church, non-denominational megachurches, etc...
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It is primarily based on a fairly tame Fort Worth Star-Telegram story form a couple of years ago that follows several women who are leading an effort to bring their abusers to justice one-by-one. Be forewarned, it will make your blood boil partcularly if you lived under some of the "leadership" of the IFB movement with names like Hyles, Goddard & Jenkins.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I imagine the reason they steered clear of the elder Hyles’ scandal is that even if it could be proven, the affair wouldn’t be illegal.

That said, I’ll watch.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: November 27th, 2023, 4:25 pm I imagine the reason they steered clear of the elder Hyles’ scandal is that even if it could be proven, the affair wouldn’t be illegal.

That said, I’ll watch.
Jackie was a huge liar. He also allegedly covered up his son, murdering his baby. Horrible man.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Dave Hyles is definitely referenced significantly, flameshaw. But it didn't go very far into his horrendous acts ... although they did mention the brutal death of his daughter.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Watched whole thing last night. Some stories I hadn’t heard. Expected to hear a bunch I had before, but did not come up. Hyles should rot. Both of them. Hearing Jack again made my skin crawl.

I went to at least five Youth Conferences. Grew up IFB. Would never attend one again, but my experience gratefully wasn’t quite as extreme. But I’m a male. It was worse for my mom and sister, but thankfully still not as d for these women in the docuseries.

I didn’t know about the boarding schools. That was all new to me. Though not surprising.

The woman who entered FBC Hammond to speak to the pastor - not sure what she expected. But I also wondered, “What would be so bad about just talking to her? Letting her speak? Listening to what she has to say? Legally, what could go wrong just to listen if she wants to talk?”

Nothing ever stays hidden forever. Best to just throw the doors open and say, “We’ve got no secrets. Do your worst! And if we messed up, we’ll make it right. Thanks for letting us know.”
ATrain, Baybird liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
You went to Liberty and never heard about Lester Roloff down in Corpus? Doc used to reference his legal battles up to the Supreme Court on the regular back in the '80s. I feel confident that your dad definitely did. Doc was focused on the religious liberty component. But the actual way the place was run wasn't pretty. Sadly I have known a number of girls who were there back in those days based on my years in Corpus Christi and the stories are awful.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: November 28th, 2023, 12:54 pm You went to Liberty and never heard about Lester Roloff down in Corpus? Doc used to reference his legal battles up to the Supreme Court on the regular back in the '80s. I feel confident that your dad definitely did. Doc was focused on the religious liberty component. But the actual way the place was run wasn't pretty. Sadly I have known a number of girls who were there back in those days based on my years in Corpus Christi and the stories are awful.
I hadn't heard about Lester Roloff until just now. Haven't watched the series yet.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I definitely heard of Roloff and knew who he was. I remember nothing about his girls boarding schools or legal battles.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
My father's mentor was Ed Hinson. so my dad has always been leery and cautious of the people he aligned himself with in ministry. My dad started the bus ministry at our church largely mimicking Hyles program in the 80's. Our sr pastor at the time was from Hammond and new Jack well but certainly by the 90's had backed away from anything related to Hyles once there began to be allegations.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Most fundy’s stood by Jack after the allegations. Remember the presser at the airport hotel? Looking back, just bizarre.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Doc didn't. Behind the scenes, he supported my grandfather when he exposed Hyles not only as a friend but also financially.

You can still find the expose he wrote while I was a student at LU here ===> Biblical Evangelist

I still admire my late grandfather for the stand he took even in the face of the tsunami of hate he faced for telling the truth. He passed away in Lynchburg back in 2016.
LU 57, thepostman, flamehunter and 4 others liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I read that several years ago and somehow didn't make the connection that he was your grandfather. It's really a good read and I've pointed others to it when the world of IFB comes up.

My family spent the first 12 years of my life in the IFB world. It took some pretty harmful events for my parents to see the light. I know my Dad still regrets being part of it. A lot of deep scars, including my sister being abused. All stuff I didn't know until not so long ago...

It is why I am so disgusted that Jerry P still flaunts his honorary doctorate from that "school".
ATrain liked this
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hoc[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]