This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Fort Bragg has been renamed Fort Liberty. Cost to taxpayers, 8,000,000.
Another stupid decision by Biden administration.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I'm good with not naming bases after traitors to the US. The cost? just another great example of how easy government contractors take advantage of the federal government. That's the real issue.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: June 5th, 2023, 7:57 pm I'm good with not naming bases after traitors to the US. The cost? just another great example of how easy government contractors take advantage of the federal government. That's the real issue.
Bragg has a TON of history since its inception. Changing the name is an exercise in futility and insulting to those who went through there.
Baybird, ballcoach15 liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I just can't get too upset about removing names of traitors. I know plenty who feel differently but I'm just not going to ever feel bad about confederate soldiers not being honored anymore.

I'm more concerned with how easily the pentagon continues to get ripped off.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: June 5th, 2023, 8:38 pm I just can't get too upset about removing names of traitors. I know plenty who feel differently but I'm just not going to ever feel bad about confederate soldiers not being honored anymore.

I'm more concerned with how easily the pentagon continues to get ripped off.
The fact you refer to them as ‘Traitors’ is not historically accurate

Yes, the Pentagon is more interested in DEI and changing base/camp names than fiscal responsibility
ATrain liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Its a bit of hyperbole on my part, sure but they aren't to be honored. Period..

The pentagon...hit me up in 5.5 years
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: June 5th, 2023, 9:41 pm Its a bit of hyperbole on my part, sure but they aren't to be honored. Period..

The pentagon...hit me up in 5.5 years
Those who went through Fort Bragg should be honored. Changing the name is not honoring them

I’ve heard horror stories about the Pentagon. To the point I’m worried about preparedness for the next conflict
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
They are honored. It doesn't matter what the name of the installation is. It doesn't change anything about how they are honored. The confederacy uprising ia a huge black eye on our history. It should be remember but not honored. To me, it is as simple as that.

As far as your last statement. My criticism has nothing to do with readiness. I have no doubt of our readiness. Doing so really craps on a ton of really amazing, heroic people that still wear the uniform.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: June 5th, 2023, 10:01 pm They are honored. It doesn't matter what the name of the installation is. It doesn't change anything about how they are honored. The confederacy uprising ia a huge black eye on our history. It should be remember but not honored. To me, it is as simple as that.

As far as your last statement. My criticism has nothing to do with readiness. I have no doubt of our readiness. Doing so really craps on a ton of really amazing, heroic people that still wear the uniform.
If the name of the installation doesn’t matter………why change it?
I have formed my readiness opinion FROM those still in and recently out of uniform. Some I’ve known for 30 odd years
By Ill flame
Last year I was responsible for approving all purchases for my battalion so i was in a unique position to see how much we spent on each item. To illustrate the problem a box of 4 low quality dry erase markers and an eraser that everyone has in their office costs around $15 through the mandatory supplier. You can buy a higher quality pack of markers at wal mart for $5. Unfortunately $8 million is a rounding error in the army, if people knew the true amount of fraud waste and abuse there would be riots.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: June 5th, 2023, 10:35 pm
thepostman wrote: June 5th, 2023, 10:01 pm They are honored. It doesn't matter what the name of the installation is. It doesn't change anything about how they are honored. The confederacy uprising ia a huge black eye on our history. It should be remember but not honored. To me, it is as simple as that.

I have formed my readiness opinion FROM those still in and recently out of uniform. Some I’ve known for 30 odd years
The name of the installation doesn't matter in respect to how we honor folks who trained at the installation. It matters that we don't put names of confederate soldiers in places of honor. Simple concept.

I respect your buddies and their service. I'm sure they have their own perspective.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: June 6th, 2023, 4:30 am
Purple Haize wrote: June 5th, 2023, 10:35 pm

The name of the installation doesn't matter in respect to how we honor folks who trained at the installation. It matters that we don't put names of confederate soldiers in places of honor. Simple concept.

I respect your buddies and their service. I'm sure they have their own perspective.
Not a big deal to me personally, but I believe the use of confederate soldiers names were part of a healing process after the war, to bring the country back together. Today it would probably be wiser to just add to the list of those we remember instead of re-moving historical markers.
Purple Haize liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: June 5th, 2023, 11:31 pm Last year I was responsible for approving all purchases for my battalion so i was in a unique position to see how much we spent on each item. To illustrate the problem a box of 4 low quality dry erase markers and an eraser that everyone has in their office costs around $15 through the mandatory supplier. You can buy a higher quality pack of markers at wal mart for $5. Unfortunately $8 million is a rounding error in the army, if people knew the true amount of fraud waste and abuse there would be riots.
Follow those dollars and see who's family pockets them. I've heard about it from civil service employees working at Navy supply centers going back to the 1960s. Scam has been going on for decades.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Today's Pentagon is more focused on the Democrat's liberal agendas, than warfighting. Just a matter of time before all military vehicles are painted pink.
TH Spangler liked this
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: June 5th, 2023, 11:31 pm Last year I was responsible for approving all purchases for my battalion so i was in a unique position to see how much we spent on each item. To illustrate the problem a box of 4 low quality dry erase markers and an eraser that everyone has in their office costs around $15 through the mandatory supplier. You can buy a higher quality pack of markers at wal mart for $5. Unfortunately $8 million is a rounding error in the army, if people knew the true amount of fraud waste and abuse there would be riots.
Having contracts for basic supplies like office supplies are almost always bad.

My employer switched to Staples from Office Max to save money but everything costs more and the quality of the paper is so bad that we end up wasting more paper than before because every printer constantly jams with this Staples paper.

Only time we're allowed to go outside of Staples is if Staples doesn't offer a similar product and then we have to wait to get approval from some other department that takes eons to approve anything. Thus most of the time it's not even worth the trouble, so we just learn how to adapt without or pay for it out of our pocket.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
On the subject of re-naming, I was responsible for announcing flight destinations at work when Washington National was changed to Reagan National. Demarcates were livid. Some co-workers never changed their announcements. Can you imagine reactions when they start naming things after a recent R POTUS. I don't recall the same reaction from R when they started naming things after a recent D POTUS.

https://viewfromthewing.com/how-washing ... ame-on-it/
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
The only thing going to be named after a recent R POTUS will be an 8x11 cell. (No he ain't going, but no, nothing is going to be named after him).
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: June 13th, 2023, 7:29 pm The only thing going to be named after a recent R POTUS will be an 8x11 cell. (No he ain't going, but no, nothing is going to be named after him).
Time will tell.

Close friend of mine, from an FBI family, said he will go down in history as one of the best president ever. And my friend is very reserved when it comes to expressing a political opinion.
Last edited by TH Spangler on June 15th, 2023, 11:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: June 13th, 2023, 7:29 pm The only thing going to be named after a recent R POTUS will be an 8x11 cell. (No he ain't going, but no, nothing is going to be named after him).
What about a D POTUS? We will have the USS Trump Super Carrier right after the USS Obama.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: June 13th, 2023, 8:40 pm
Time will tell.

Close friend of mine, from an FBI family, said he will go down in history as one of the best president ever. And my friend is very reserved when it comes to expressing a political option.
Hope you don't take advice from this friend
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
DeSantis says if he's elected he'll be changing the name back to Ft Bragg. Ft Liberty works fine for me, just get the military out of social engineering and focused on fighting.
Last edited by TH Spangler on June 15th, 2023, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
LU 57 liked this
By tyndal23
lynchburgwildcats wrote: June 13th, 2023, 10:12 pm
TH Spangler wrote: June 13th, 2023, 8:40 pm
Time will tell.

Close friend of mine, from an FBI family, said he will go down in history as one of the best president ever. And my friend is very reserved when it comes to expressing a political option.
Hope you don't take advice from this friend
Speaking of advice Wildcat, are you still advising we all get booster shots ? Glad to hear you are still upright...you are such a valuable addition to this message board.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: June 14th, 2023, 6:56 am DeSantis says if he's elected he'll be changing the name back to Ft Bragg.
Moronic. I am not offended by "Fort Bragg." I can understand why some might be. If the powers that be believe it should change, AND SPEND ALL THAT MONEY, there is no good reason to change it back AND SPEND MORE MONEY.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: June 15th, 2023, 10:42 pm
TH Spangler wrote: June 14th, 2023, 6:56 am DeSantis says if he's elected he'll be changing the name back to Ft Bragg.
Moronic. I am not offended by "Fort Bragg." I can understand why some might be. If the powers that be believe it should change, AND SPEND ALL THAT MONEY, there is no good reason to change it back AND SPEND MORE MONEY.
Well you should know better, the GOP platform is essentially oWn ThE lIbS rather than actually governing.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]