This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
It's the annual movie discussion thread, though it's been a minute since I posted one
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
Without taking the time to look anything up John Wick is the only one for me that jumps out off the top of my head. I love those movies.
Purple Haize, JK37 liked this
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
Also, they aren’t movies but I just started the newest season of Jack Ryan and I’m really hoping Amazon gives us new seasons of Reacher and The Terminal List. All fantastic shows. Especially The Terminal List which is based on a book written by a former SEAL.
JK37 liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Not sure about the status of the Terminal List but with the star power attached to that project I suspect the folks at Amazon/MGM will likely give it another run.

Reacher has been/is shooting a second season that should air soon. Jack Ryan I believe is getting picked up for another season as well. For better or worse, they have so much invested in the LOTR project that they have to keep riding that train.

I really wish Amazon would have done something more with Zero Zero Zero. Fantastic series that seemed primed to be split regionally in spinoffs. But nothing but crickets. A Vampiro-focused show would have been must-see for me.

As for movies, it is going to take something massive to get me back in a cinema. I suspect that I am not alone is preferring the comforts of home post-pandemic. And I haven't seen anything epic looming on the horizon. Oppenheimer has the potential. And if Indy gets positive buzz it might be enough. But I'll take a pass on anything from the MCU or DCU.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Out of all the ones that aren't prequels or sequels: Roosevelt and Oppenheimer. But I'll probably just wait for it to come out on DVD

May go see Wonka in the theater if I'm bored over Christmas.

Otherwise, all the MCU and DCU movies go on my Christmas list, along with some others.
By Ill flame
Speaking of sequels. I saw yesterday that the passion of the christ will be getting a sequel called "the resurrection. " it's set to start filming soon.
ATrain liked this
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
In no particular order, I'm interested in seeing these. We have a tradition where the kids and I go see MCU films on opening night so those are the only guaranteed theater films, but there will probably be a few others.

Ant-Man and the Wasp
Knock at the Gavin
Cocaine Bear
Creed III
Scream 6
John Wick: Chapter 4
Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
Super Mario Bros
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
Fast X
The Little Mermaid
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
Elemental
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning - Part One
Barbie
Oppenheimer
The Marvels
Meg 2: The Trench
Gran Turismo
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
The Equalizer 3
Kraven the Hunter
Dune: Part Two
Chicken Run: Dawn of the Nugget
Hunger Games: Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Wonka
Quiet Place III
Beverly Hills Cop IV
Extraction 2
Killers of the Flower Moon
Luther
Napoleon
Red One

Some of the ones at the end don't have certain release dates, but I'll definitely see the MCU and Indiana Jones in the theater, 'tis tradition.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Looking at the stuff on my watch list that has a release date and ones I can think of off the top of my head that don't have a release date (though that is limited)...

Emily (about Emily Bronte)
Evil Dead Rise
Beau Is Afraid
Asteroid City
Barbie
Oppenheimer
Killers of the Flower Moon
Dune Part Two
The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Knock at the Cabin
Quiet Place 3

And anything A24 is putting out this year.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Never understood all the manufactured outrage about Amazon's LOTR series. Lot's of people repeating other people's criticisms, mostly unwarranted. How often do we get a high-quality epic fantasy series? Let it play out and enjoy it.

The English on Prime is excellent, some amazing performances. Great Western, but will probably be just the one season.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:Never understood all the manufactured outrage about Amazon's LOTR series. Lot's of people repeating other people's criticisms, mostly unwarranted. How often do we get a high-quality epic fantasy series? Let it play out and enjoy it.

The English on Prime is excellent, some amazing performances. Great Western, but will probably be just the one season.
I really enjoyed it. There were a few guys in our life-group at church who said, "I heard it was terrible" and were likely repeating the talking points they had heard. When each of them watched it, they liked it too.

There's a small minority who gripe about content that has diversity. Then compound that with the Tolkien heads who really don't want any adaptations of anything, it's a recipe for unfounded criticism.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote: January 13th, 2023, 9:56 am
ALUmnus wrote:Never understood all the manufactured outrage about Amazon's LOTR series. Lot's of people repeating other people's criticisms, mostly unwarranted. How often do we get a high-quality epic fantasy series? Let it play out and enjoy it.

I really enjoyed it. There were a few guys in our life-group at church who said, "I heard it was terrible" and were likely repeating the talking points they had heard. When each of them watched it, they liked it too.

There's a small minority who gripe about content that has diversity. Then compound that with the Tolkien heads who really don't want any adaptations of anything, it's a recipe for unfounded criticism.
What the heck is a life group?
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
A Bible S tudy rebranded by the Southern Baptist Convention so they can say stuff like "do life" together.

Why am I buckling up?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 15th, 2023, 11:58 am A Bible S tudy rebranded by the Southern Baptist Convention so they can say stuff like "do life" together.

Why am I buckling up?
Because it’s the law when you’re driving!
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 15th, 2023, 11:58 am A Bible S tudy rebranded by the Southern Baptist Convention so they can say stuff like "do life" together.

Why am I buckling up?
Ain’t just the SBC. And you know why! 8)
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Smaller groups replaced traditional Sunday School classes. Different way to connect socially in church.

“Life Group” is one of many iterations of nomenclature for these groups.

I said “Buckle Up” because there are a lot of opinions and preferences on the topic. Sometimes very strong ones.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: January 15th, 2023, 12:27 pm

Why am I buckling up?
I'm not sure I have seen the term "lifegroup" used outside of Baptist churches. Some may not have Baptist in the name but if you dig deep enough they are affiliated with the SBC. They are what my wife calls, "Sneaky Baptists" :lol:

Regardless the term was started by the SBC to move towards the small group bible study model vs Sunday school. Since Lifeway (SBC affiliated) makes lifegroup resources available I'm sure other non-Baptist churches may use the term now but it's roots are SBC.

Anyways. This is way off topic. Good job @lynchburgwildcats
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 15th, 2023, 7:18 pm
JK37 wrote: January 15th, 2023, 12:27 pm

Why am I buckling up?
I'm not sure I have seen the term "lifegroup" used outside of Baptist churches. Some may not have Baptist in the name but if you dig deep enough they are affiliated with the SBC. They are what my wife calls, "Sneaky Baptists" :lol:

Regardless the term was started by the SBC to move towards the small group bible study model vs Sunday school. Since Lifeway (SBC affiliated) makes lifegroup resources available I'm sure other non-Baptist churches may use the term now but it's roots are SBC.

Anyways. This is way off topic. Good job @lynchburgwildcats
As a child of the 80’s I just keep seeing Lifeboat instead of Life Group

As for movies John Wick and Dune will certainly get me back in the theater. Gotta watch those on the big screen. But going to movies weekly like I did pre Rona will be a long time if ever in coming back
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: January 15th, 2023, 9:48 pm I thought Dune was just HBOGO?
Is it? That would suck. That movie series screams for the big screen
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]