This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Just John
Registration Days Posts
He was a respected conservative voice in the SBC for years. He wouldn't be silent about sexual abuse in the convention, Trump, and some race issues. Many got mad and branded him "woke". He remains a conservative Christian voice.
Purple Haize liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
My point is, to much valuable time being spent by so called Christian leaders writing about other so called Christians leaders . Its reminds me of when the media tries to make its self the story.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Just John wrote: January 29th, 2022, 12:04 am He was a respected conservative voice in the SBC for years. He wouldn't be silent about sexual abuse in the convention, Trump, and some race issues. Many got mad and branded him "woke". He remains a conservative Christian voice.
My guess is that those same people might have branded Jesus as "woke." After all, he hung out with tax collectors and talked to that woman at the well.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Generally speaking, getting labeled woke usually means that you've taken things too far with intolerance and judgmentalism. There are numerous examples that are somewhat definative in some of the older PC culture clips from South Park.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: January 29th, 2022, 11:05 am Generally speaking, getting labeled woke usually means that you've taken things too far with intolerance and judgmentalism. There are numerous examples that are somewhat definative in some of the older PC culture clips from South Park.
Being labeled woke means that you think others have taken things to far with intolerance. The woke person would decry the judgmental attitudes of the Pharisees (or the Fundies). Of course many of the woke people are judgemental and intolerant, so there's that.
That is why I think the term is stupid and it is not a part of my typical conversations.
Just John liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
There’s been a push lately to completely redefine terms and then villainize them based on the new definition. It’s linguistic games instead of actual argumentation. The architect of the CRT panic is pretty open about that being his game.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
This term is disparaging btw. It specifically relates to public school administration and secular university intolerance. When people get called bigots for absolutely no reason, one way to respond is to label what they're doing. There are other terms, for instance Peter Hitchens labled certain unreasonable activists as liberal bigots when he was under attack for supposed bigotry.

It's the left that is silencing debate. Even students with no skin in the game can see that.
Last edited by paradox on January 31st, 2022, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Purple Haize liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: January 30th, 2022, 11:38 pm
paradox wrote: January 29th, 2022, 11:05 am Generally speaking, getting labeled woke usually means that you've taken things too far with intolerance and judgmentalism. There are numerous examples that are somewhat definative in some of the older PC culture clips from South Park.
Being labeled woke means that you think others have taken things to far with intolerance. The woke person would decry the judgmental attitudes of the Pharisees (or the Fundies). Of course many of the woke people are judgemental and intolerant, so there's that.
That is why I think the term is stupid and it is not a part of my typical conversations.
That's not how it really plays out publicly. It has a very specific meaning. Being woke is not about what you do. It's more about how you do it. It's an attitude. A superiority thing. Kinda like the woke person sees themselves as in the position of judgement over others, especially those who need to be awakened from their slumber.
sstaedtler liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
You’re playing the game and don’t even seem to be aware of it. The term “woke” used to mean awake and aware of injustice. It was seen as a good thing.

It’s been co-opted and redefined by the right to mean “anything the intolerant left does that I don’t like.”

That’s why it’s a useless term, if you’re using terms in completely different ways, it just ends up in talking past each other.
Yacht Rock liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
It's not a theological thing. And in all likelihood, it's probably being misapplied there. However, this term has a very distinctive meaning out in the public square, especially among students in secular schools. But if you have no zoomers at home or kids in secular schools, then Spotify and what's going on with Joe Rogan would be a good example. Rogan is not on the right, he's just speaking his mind, and yet he's under fire for it.
TH Spangler, sstaedtler liked this
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: January 31st, 2022, 10:05 am You’re playing the game and don’t even seem to be aware of it. The term “woke” used to mean awake and aware of injustice. It was seen as a good thing.

It’s been co-opted and redefined by the right to mean “anything the intolerant left does that I don’t like.”

That’s why it’s a useless term, if you’re using terms in completely different ways, it just ends up in talking past each other.
This right here. The term has been around a lot longer than the current phase of people using it as an insult. Even when used as an insult, it has a different meaning every time by those who throw it around. That's why it's useless.

People these days love to put labels on people or issues based on some singular thing. My coworker was telling me about how the school board in his county were called "crazy liberals" simply because they voted to continue COVID mitigation. He knows most of them personally (whole family is in education) and they are all pretty conservative but just chose not to adopt the general political positions that have been established in the media.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: January 31st, 2022, 2:13 pm We can't just make it go away for whatever reason? Some people use it. And when they do, it's generally understood.

Free speech is always worth defending.
Some people don't mind sounding less than intelligent... Yes, that is their right.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
History has shown, time and time again, that when authoritarianism starts to take root, an astonishingly large number of clergy, seminarians, and religious institutions, are far too willing to accommodate. It would be prudent to at least temper what some of these religious leaders are saying with someone like an Augustine.....or even a Bonhoeffer or Solzhenitsyn.
sstaedtler liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: February 1st, 2022, 10:06 am History has shown, time and time again, that when authoritarianism starts to take root, an astonishingly large number of clergy, seminarians, and religious institutions, are far too willing to accommodate.
I’m not sure to which side you are directing this. It’s very evident that this happened with Trump, e.g. Robert Jeffress, Al Mohler’s about-face, Liberty University, dozens of other high-profile examples. I don’t at all see this happening under the Biden administration.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Wasn't talking about endorsing this or that guy. Accommodation was the word that was used. Following trends and accommodating the left. Making room for ideas that ultimately undermine the very existence of free discussion itself. To show not the slightest amount of concern regarding personal liberties and free speech, speaks volumes.
sstaedtler liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: February 1st, 2022, 3:12 pm Please tell me who in orthodox Christianity is accommodating the left. I mentioned Trump because he’s an authoritarian, which you seemed concerned about.
If he’s an authoritarian he kinda sucks at it. He had ideal situations in which to put things in place that would have proven he was but didn’t. Look no further than mandates.
Chippy, Kricket liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: February 1st, 2022, 4:24 pm I mean, I can restate what I just said, if you want. But wait....you believe Trump is authoritarian? How so?
Well, there’s the whole undermining the democratic process thing that he’s still banging on about.

There’s the banning Muslims from entering the country.

There’s the villainizing and openly threatening media companies.

There’s the restricting press access to only media companies that fawn over him.

There’s the threatening to shut down social media companies.

There’s the sending homeland security troops in to shut down protests in DC.

There’s the threatening to send in the military to shut down protests in other states.

There’s the firing or pushing out of many government officials who attempted to have oversight over him.

Not Trump specifically, but tell me which side is banning books and restricting ideas in schools?

And again, name a prominent Christian leader or institution who are accommodating the left. It’s not a difficult request. If it’s an issue, they must exist, right?
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: February 1st, 2022, 5:24 pm
paradox wrote: February 1st, 2022, 4:24 pm I mean, I can restate what I just said, if you want. But wait....you believe Trump is authoritarian? How so?

And again, name a prominent Christian leader or institution who are accommodating the left. It’s not a difficult request. If it’s an issue, they must exist, right?
Throughout history this has been the case. They don't necessarily have to be relevant or household names. In most cases, they're not.

Congress needs to get involved and pass a law ca[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]