This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Just listened to an interview with Eric Metaxas on Tucker Carlson Today. Good stuff. I highly recommend a subscription. Military and vets can get 12 months free. Tucker's show "TC Today" is better than his FoxNews show.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: December 31st, 2021, 8:50 am I can't imagine ever going out of my way for even more cable news content. Even for free.
TC Today is not really a news format. More like Interviews, Oprah style or if you're old enough to remember Donahue. Great guest. Ad free.
By LU 57
thepostman wrote: December 31st, 2021, 10:59 am Not exactly a selling point. Even for free.
I have watched a fair amount of Tucker’s stuff. People (not me) get really uncomfortable with him, but he is on to something with the Jan 6th stuff.

Folks who have been following along will recognize the name Ray Epps. If you haven’t heard the name, you probably will early next year. Really feels like the FBI stepped over the line with their covert ops again.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
He has be stretched the truth to fit his narrative like all the rest of cable news. He is part of rhe problem, not the solution.

Fox News' own lawyers have said in court that no reasonable person should take him seriously. Much like MSNBC's lawyers did with Rachel Maddow. None of these hacks should be taken seriously. Will they stumble onto some form of truth sometimes? Maybe but not enough to waste my time with.

This article talks about both TC and RM if your interested. I use to watch more cable news than I do now. These 2 cases have a ton to do with my change in news media consumption.

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/29/91774712 ... ox-s-lawye

I think people are willing to overlook the shortcoming of these hosts in hope of getting their ears tickled with how they personally view the world.
lynchburgwildcats liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: December 31st, 2021, 12:10 pm He has be stretched the truth to fit his narrative like all the rest of cable news. He is part of rhe problem, not the solution.

Fox News' own lawyers have said in court that no reasonable person should take him seriously. Much like MSNBC's lawyers did with Rachel Maddow. None of these hacks should be taken seriously. Will they stumble onto some form of truth sometimes? Maybe but not enough to waste my time with.

This article talks about both TC and RM if your interested. I use to watch more cable news than I do now. These 2 cases have a ton to do with my change in news media consumption.

I think people are willing to overlook the shortcoming of these hosts in hope of getting their ears tickled with how they personally view the world.
Truth is no longer objective. We choose the truth we want to believe.
By LU 57
thepostman wrote: December 31st, 2021, 12:10 pm He has be stretched the truth to fit his narrative like all the rest of cable news. He is part of rhe problem, not the solution.

Good article, but it does not mean he does not believe what he is saying, or that what he said is incorrect. It is just a legal tactic used to make the lawsuit go away.

Anyway, I am not here to defend Tucker Carlson, just wanted to point out a name that I believe is going to become more of a story.

If you are interested, here is the link:

https://www.revolver.news/2021/10/meet- ... s-capitol/

I know it’s not The NYT or the WSJ, but the reporting is pretty tight.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Still blows my mind that the same set of people who spent a decade plus sounding the alarm about postmodernism are the ones succumbing to it.

And btw, fox news’ own people have been speaking out against TC’s January 6th coverage, two of them even resigned over it. They know it’s irresponsible propaganda, but it gets ad revenue.

I was reading recently about Fox’s change of approach. Their goal used to be to gain more regular viewers, but they’ve hit their ceiling on amount of people who tune in, so they’ve changed tact to trying to get their already-bought-in viewers to watch more frequently and for longer periods. This means they’re no longer interested in the kind of reasonable and responsible reporting that might have more mass appeal and are instead focusing on producing more and more opinion/entertainment content that riles up the base and takes them further down the rabbit hole.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Most news is basically showbiz. Under normal circumstances, there is usually not a news story big enough or real enough to actually tune in. Bias is everywhere. It's always been.

Progressives constantly swim in deception because their perspective is not reality-based. Conservatives dream too much about the past and seem mostly concerned with self-preservation. Neither should be confused with compassion, truth, or Christianity. Pragmatism would appear to be the higher approach here when navigating through all this.
thepostman, LU 57, Baybird liked this
By LU 57
stokesjokes wrote: December 31st, 2021, 12:57 pm
And btw, fox news’ own people have been speaking out against TC’s January 6th coverage, two of them even resigned over it. They know it’s irresponsible propaganda, but it gets ad revenue.
I used to be a Jonah Goldberg fan. Listened to his podcast, read his articles, read his books. I was even a fellow “never-Trumper” during the 2016 election (voted for Evan McMullin…ugh). I was really annoyed when Ben Shapiro sort of recanted his anti-Trumpism, but then something happened.

It was a process, but ultimately it was the dishonesty around the Russia investigation and how much the MSNBC, NYT, WAPO ignored stories that did not fit the narrative. And then the utter joke the Mueller report with all of the fanfare was.

I just could no longer ignore the damage the mainstream media (longtime WSJ subscriber, even having subscriptions to the NYT and WAPO over the years) was willing to inflict on us just out of their spite for Trump.

Long way of saying it, but the fact that Jonah Goldberg and Steve Hayes decided to defect means nothing to me.

Fox News has plenty of fleas, but at least they are not openly hostile to Christianity and the USA in general. I feel a genuine optimism among their hosts as opposed to the open hate and bitterness I see on CNN, MSNBC, etc. Not to mention the embrace of every sinful lifestyle under the sun under the guise of “inclusion”.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Eric Metaxas was a great Interview, like most on TC Today.

You can tell TC is over the target by how triggered the establishment gets over his content. "Chris Wallace".
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: December 31st, 2021, 12:57 pm Still blows my mind that the same set of people who spent a decade plus sounding the alarm about postmodernism are the ones succumbing to it.

I was reading recently about Fox’s change of approach. Their goal used to be to gain more regular viewers, but they’ve hit their ceiling on amount of people who tune in, so they’ve changed tact to trying to get their already-bought-in viewers to watch more frequently and for longer periods. This means they’re no longer interested in the kind of reasonable and responsible reporting that might have more mass appeal and are instead focusing on producing more and more opinion/entertainment content that riles up the base and takes them further down the rabbit hole.
I don't watch cable news, whatever its source, I don't listen to Tucker Carlson or Eric Metaxas, and I'm not by any means or measure "elite" or "establishment," but I don't think triggering our opponents is a measure of veracity. I'm "triggered" by the same folks they are, and it's because I despair at how we've gone from the Great Commandment and the Great Commission to "owning the libs" as our signpost for truth.
Just John, Baybird, rogers3 and 1 others liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:Eric Metaxas was a great Interview, like most on TC Today.

You can tell TC is over the target by how triggered the establishment gets over his content. "Chris Wallace".
I am glad you enjoy it. I am sure it is very entertaining. TC hasn't remained relevant in the industry by being boring. I may not respect him but he is very good at what he does.

But for the record, just because TC triggers someone doesn't mean he is speaking the truth. It just means he is good at making people angry. It is a very slippery slope basing truth on how angry it makes only certain people.
Just John liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: December 31st, 2021, 3:29 pm

I am glad you enjoy it. I am sure it is very entertaining. TC hasn't remained relevant in the industry by being boring. I may not respect him but he is very good at what he does.

But for the record, just because TC triggers someone doesn't mean he is speaking the truth. It just means he is good at making people angry. It is a very slippery slope basing truth on how angry it makes only certain people.
Eric Metaxas was the interesting part. You should watch TC Today. It's not about Tucker.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: December 31st, 2021, 12:25 pm
It may seem that way, but everyone is not entitled to their own truth. One can have an opinion that is different from the truth, they can believe it is truth, but it does not make it true. Truth is truth.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote: December 31st, 2021, 6:19 pm
JK37 wrote: December 31st, 2021, 12:25 pm
It may seem that way, but everyone is not entitled to their own truth. One can have an opinion that is different from the truth, they can believe it is truth, but it does not make it true. Truth is truth.
I agree completely.

My father raised me to know that one is only entitled to an opinion if they can defend it. Family dinners were fun.
SumItUp liked this
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: December 31st, 2021, 4:15 pm

Eric Metaxas was the interesting part. You should watch TC Today. It's not about Tucker.
Metaxas is an embarrassment to his former self.
thepostman liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Just John wrote: January 1st, 2022, 3:07 am
TH Spangler wrote: December 31st, 2021, 4:15 pm

Metaxas is an embarrassment to his former self.
Why do you feel that way?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Eric Metaxas just banned my former colleague Dr. Karen Prior from his Twitter page.
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: January 1st, 2022, 10:58 am Perhaps, there was just cause.
They were good friends; he even wrote the foreword for one of her books. When his public comments became more radical and he began to burn bridges with people who used to be friends and colleagues, she tried to engage him publicly and privately, and he responded petulantly.

Rod Dreher was a friend for 20 years, and he was alarmed at Eric's sudden turn. A snippet, although I encourage anyone who's not already persuaded of his veracity to read the whole thing. It's his own words that call him out:
Think about that. An Evangelical broadcaster is saying that Donald Trump’s election loss is a thousand times worse than rape and murder, equivalent to the murder of a nation. And if you don’t believe it? You are demonized.

And then this:

“Everybody who is not hopped up about this … you are the Germans that looked the other way when Hitler was preparing to do what he was preparing to do. Unfortunately, I don’t see how you can see it any other way.”
https://www.theamericanconservative.com ... t-by-lies/
thepostman liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
The radio biz includes much hyperbole. It may be challenging to some people's perceptions.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
It isn't hard to find these things TH. This is a great example as to why I advocate removing oneself from the Fox News echo chamber. Eric Metaxas has been radicalized and Tucker and people like him are doing their best to present Metaxes in a way that makes him seem less radical.

paradox wrote:The radio biz includes much hyperbole. It may be challenging to some people's perceptions.
This is true for sure but there is a line one shouldn't cross when being hyperbolic to make a point and Metaxes has run past the line repeatedly in recent months. This is especially true when representing Christ. Especially in such a public way.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
That was a good read rmiller.

It's amazing to watch God's timeline play out all around us! I think there are good reasons for concern being expressed by both men, with different reactions to it.

There are hard times ahead, especially post rapture. The world will line up for the antichrist. For me my concerns end at ..... But God. His timeline works for me.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]