This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By willflop
SumItUp wrote: March 21st, 2022, 12:01 pm
willflop wrote: March 21st, 2022, 10:15 am A lot. But Jesus got it right when he said this (his) generation wouldn't pass away before all these things take place :D
That seems to be very different from the "Left Behind" theology that has been heavily promoted for the last 40+ years.

Who's your source? 8)
Well, I'm still on the fence. But Hal Lindsey might be onto something too, apparently we'll see a revived Roman Empire take over the world in the 1980s.

By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote: March 21st, 2022, 12:59 pm The whole "if you don't like bitcoin then you obviously don't understand bitcoin"/"cryptocurrency is the answer to all our financial woes" mindset is a bit much.
I'm actually not the biggest fan of BitCoin and think the true value of crypto is still to be determined.

However, it is clear that folks are developing pretty solid opinions for things they have no solid knowledge of. It's okay to not come to a conclusion about something you don't understand.

Based on some of the posts, it's pretty clear there's a lack of understanding.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Can I go to the ATM and withdraw bitcoins?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
How many bitcoins does it take to play a pinball machine?
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
most of those that I know that really understand blockchain are either highly skeptical of its viability or are trying to exploit it in some way. I think blockchain tech is here to stay and will likely become the standard during my lifetime.

I however believe in all likelihood that bitcoin was created in a collaberation with a number of governments. most notably the US/UK. Another possibility is that it was created by the russians to kind of throw current global currencies into arrears.

I hold BTC and ETH in trusts in a Roth IRA so escape any tax implications that arise. I've been buying for a little bit more than 3 years. our head dev was like throw any money you can at it. I didnt' want to open a wallet and had some contributions left to make in my Roth that year.
flamehunter liked this
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: March 29th, 2022, 2:38 pm https://butterflymx.com/blog/blockchain ... -industry/

Read on to learn:
What is blockchain?
How is blockchain useful in real estate?
How property owners and developers can benefit from blockchain technology
What does this mean for the future of real estate?
How to prepare for this next big thing in real estate
What could go wrong? :lol:
I have read the entire article. I don't understand your concern. What do you fear?
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
All sounds great in the article. But I'm afraid people will start tokenizing their homes, estates etc. Here comes the BlackRocks. First thing you know, "You Will Own Nothing and You Will Be Happy”. :lol:

Will probably cause property values to rise, which causes personal property taxes to rise, and home owners insurance to rise. Inflation explodes. Forcing people to sell off their equity in blockchain shares to cover. :lol:
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Is it worth investing in? That's the big question. Ultimately, it's gonna go up & down in value just like anything else. If you commit to it, you gotta believe in it....and stay on top of it.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: April 1st, 2022, 2:38 pm https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/599 ... rried/amp/

Biden is planning a new digital currency. Here’s why you should be very worried
It’s clear that the Biden administration and Fed are working together to create a controllable, traceable, programmable digital currency. And if they are successful, life in America might never be the same.
This has nothing to do with Bitcoin.

[EDIT] While indirect, it does relate to Bitcoin if you are trying to promote its use.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
It's all blockchain. Government wants to regulate all of it. My guess is the Bitcoins etc and digital dollar eventually look a like. To be honest I believe the cryptos crash and the digital dollar survives.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
https://www.brookings.edu/techstream/th ... al-dollar/
In responding to the growth of digital financial tools, the United States faces a classic “innovator’s dilemma” in which a dominant incumbent must respond to an insurgent innovator that threatens the incumbent’s position. The Biden administration is beginning to address this issue with the signing of a recent executive order directing U.S. government agencies to prioritize the development of policies to regulate digital assets and to examine the requirements and feasibility of launching a digital version of the dollar.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: April 20th, 2022, 9:30 am https://www.brookings.edu/techstream/th ... al-dollar/
In responding to the growth of digital financial tools, the United States faces a classic “innovator’s dilemma” in which a dominant incumbent must respond to an insurgent innovator that threatens the incumbent’s position. The Biden administration is beginning to address this issue with the signing of a recent executive order directing U.S. government agencies to prioritize the development of policies to regulate digital assets and to examine the requirements and feasibility of launching a digital version of the dollar.
I'm not sure why you are putting this in a Bitcoin thread? It would help if you add commentary to what you think it means. If something exists in reality or is even imaginary, the government has a desire to regulate it. Moderate regulation is not avoidable and is not always bad even though we live under excessive regulation today in all areas. With or without regulation, the government cannot control Bitcoin.

A digital version of the dollar (CBDC - Central Bank Digital Currency) should be a concerning as it will be controlled by a select few. The risk of manipulation through a combination of a CBDC and Digital ID could be dangerous. It's no longer an unknown whether a government could restrict its population's freedom for not following a mandate. That was proven on every inhabitable continent throughout the world for each of us to see since 2020. All other cryptocurrencies that are not Bitcoin are just private versions of a CBDC as they are controlled by an individual or a small group of people.

Bitcoin is not like the others.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Just my gut. Bitcoin gets regulated beyond recognition. The state controlled blockchain takes over. At least that's the way it looks through my BWV shades :lol:
By tyndal23
SumItUp wrote: April 21st, 2022, 9:42 am Who will they regulate?
Similar to FDR setting a price per ounce for gold and requiring Americans to turn in and redeem for US Dollars, by a certain date or be fined 10k and possible jail time - that is the approach I would see Government take with Bitcoin - ( convert to US digital dollar at a set exchange rate - then outlaw any Bitcoin wallets, vendor acceptance of Bitcoin and future conversion of Bitcoin to any currency ).
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Hit it’s lowest point since …. December 2020. :lol:

It’s the very definition of a volatile investment. It always will be. Ebbs and flows will always occur with it just like other volatile but more traditional investments. It can be appropriate for an investor’s portfolio if balanced with other less volatile assets and in alignment with the investor’s risk profile.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
this whole thing reminds me of the dot com bubble. right. Technology/internet stocks (CRYPTO) are here to stay and the FUTURE! Period of crazy growth lots of people buying in all the way to the top. people buying websites and online products that they had no idea what they were (crap coins, staking crypto programs, nft's etc etc). and the bottom dropping out. all of the tech stock bears were like "SEE WE TOLD YOU SO THIS WAS NOT REAL" and then after a year or so things settle and the real and well ran companies emerge (amazon, google, etc etc etc) and the market corrects. Eventually a few coins and good blockchain ideas will emerge and be the norm and offer a reasonable return on investment.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]