This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
Live in Raleigh now, and really liked it before all the liberals took over. Every County Commissoner, every City Council member, the Mayor, City Planner, all Democrats. Hence, property taxes raised 10% two years ago, then assessed everyone's property value up 10-15% last year. Neighboring Apex was voted #1 place to live in America a few short years ago, but now the City Council has fired the Police Chief and hired the Chief from Ferguson Missouri and fired the City planner and brought in a BLM activist from Dayton, Ohio. Result, Raleigh short over 140 Officers in the City Police Dept and the Wake Sherriff's Department had a total of nine Deputy's on patrol last Saturday night (normally 25 would be the standard). Crime has become a major problem.
Less than half the public school kids read on grade level, yet the Billion dollar Wake County School budget divided by the number of students comes out to some $300,000 per classroom, per year.
It seems that all the liberals that move here want the same type of government that turned their Northern cities into cess pools.
I grew up in Alexandria Virginia, Norfolk, and Jacksonville N.C. as a Marine's son, but traveled the entire Southeast as a musician for years. I have 6 1/2 years until retirement and am open to suggestions. Would love a beach with some ammenities, but it has to be somewhat affordable.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Lived in Raleigh almost 50 years now. The demise of the Triangle area is directly related to the number of yankees moving here and 3 major universities spreading their woke :BS , led by the Kollage in the People's Repiblick of Chapel Hill. The good thing is that the price of my home has doubled in the last 5 years. We are at the age now, that we are going to tuff it out, because or kids and grandkids are here.
Would like to move to the mountains or somewhere in central VA. but I would have to do it without the boss. Still, I am giving it a lot of thought. 8)
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
This is a dilemma shared by folks of a certain age now across the nation. We moved to Houston a generation ago so our kids could be raised around their grandparents. I hope my kids recognize the sacrifices we made for them and potentially reciprocate. But I suspect we will wind up moving close to our grandkids before they stick around us.
ATrain liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: December 16th, 2021, 11:23 am
Would like to move to the mountains or somewhere in central VA. but I would have to do it without the boss.
Here we go again! :frustrated :banghead
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
I’m living about an hour outside of Atlanta. It’s a miserable. There are to many people all the time everywhere. There are an astounding number of home being built so it’ll only get worse. Can’t go 2 miles down the road without seeing at least one new neighborhood being built.
I’d pack up and leave tomorrow to go anywhere away from people if given the opportunity.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
You want no or negative growth, let me introduce you to the Great Lakes!

Yeah, I admit that exurban sprawl is ruinning the country life I pursued just six years ago. Thankfully I have some national forest buffers around me.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: December 12th, 2021, 11:14 am Farmville - Richmond, VA area is where we're aiming to relocate to next as we look to grow our family.
I lived in Farmville for 8.5 years. Why do you want to subject children to that? I don't take much at all to keep myself entertained. For example, I find Lynchburg entertaining enough while most people seemingly complain about it. And yet I still found myself pretty bored quite often in Farmville. And I didn't exactly have much of a personal life from mid August to Mid May since I was putting in like 60 hour weeks working in athletics.

I can give you quite a lot of good local restaurant recommendations though. Farmvillers know how to make some food!
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote: February 27th, 2022, 5:35 pm
ATrain wrote: December 12th, 2021, 11:14 am Farmville - Richmond, VA area is where we're aiming to relocate to next as we look to grow our family.
I lived in Farmville for 8.5 years. Why do you want to subject children to that? I don't take much at all to keep myself entertained. For example, I find Lynchburg entertaining enough while most people seemingly complain about it. And yet I still found myself pretty bored quite often in Farmville. And I didn't exactly have much of a personal life from mid August to Mid May since I was putting in like 60 hour weeks working in athletics.

I can give you quite a lot of good local restaurant recommendations though. Farmvillers know how to make some food!
I grew up in the area 8)
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]