This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LU 57
thepostman wrote: January 18th, 2022, 3:16 pm Man this thing is amazing. Smoked a pork shoulder this weekend and it turned out better than anything I've ever cooked before. It was super easy and mixing in some wood chunks really added some flavor. In my opinion you guys under sold it! It is that good.

PH you can keep your gas grill but you're really missing out!
Glad to hear this. I have not used any of my other smokers/grills since getting this. Love mine. Did Baltimore-style pit beef last night. Delicious.
NeoFlame liked this
By LU 57
NeoFlame wrote: January 18th, 2022, 4:00 pm I'm pumped (and relieved) so many agree about this grill. I was a little worried if I was overselling it but I felt like I had enough feedback from others who have tasted the difference firsthand to go out on a limb and promote it.

I can't remember if I mentioned this before or not but two things I'd do right away is fold some aluminum foil into a square (about 3 or 4 layers should be enough) and place it between the hopper lid and the hopper). This just protects the lid a bit from the heat and can get some buildup over time.

Lastly, I noticed I was losing too much larger chunks of coal in the bottom so I ordered some steel skewers ($10 or so) and cut them to size to slide in the gaps of the metal crate holding all of the coal in place. Now the only thing I find in the bucket is pure ash. Anything steel would work, I used something like this:

Happy grilling, look forward to some pics of the results!
I bought the skewers to do this mod a while back, but always have charcoal left. Haha. I will get around to it eventually.

Thanks for pointing this beast out to us!
NeoFlame liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 18th, 2022, 3:16 pm Man this thing is amazing. Smoked a pork shoulder this weekend and it turned out better than anything I've ever cooked before. It was super easy and mixing in some wood chunks really added some flavor. In my opinion you guys under sold it! It is that good.

PH you can keep your gas grill but you're really missing out!
That sounds like a lot of effort
LU 57 liked this
By NeoFlame
LU 57 wrote:I bought the skewers to do this mod a while back, but always have charcoal left. Haha. I will get around to it eventually.

I've started to only fill it to about 1/4 for normal cooks like burgers, steaks, chicken, etc. Then I can add the wood chunks in there. Any more than that I've found it hard for the wood to get enough heat to generate smoke. I've tested putting the chunks in the ash bin but I don't think I like that as much as just layering coal/chunks/coal/chunks etc. I try to get it as close to empty as I can at the end of the cooks.
By LU 57
NeoFlame wrote: January 18th, 2022, 9:35 pm
LU 57 wrote:I bought the skewers to do this mod a while back, but always have charcoal left. Haha. I will get around to it eventually.

I've started to only fill it to about 1/4 for normal cooks like burgers, steaks, chicken, etc. Then I can add the wood chunks in there. Any more than that I've found it hard for the wood to get enough heat to generate smoke. I've tested putting the chunks in the ash bin but I don't think I like that as much as just layering coal/chunks/coal/chunks etc. I try to get it as close to empty as I can at the end of the cooks.
I need to do that. As for the wood chunks, I saw a mod that was a screen shelf in the ash bin to elevate the chunks to keep them from getting buried.

Edit: Here is the link:

https://www.lss-mods.com/product_detail ... _protector
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 18th, 2022, 7:07 pm No way man. It was actually way easier than I thought. If you want an extra gas grill you can have mine.
Turn gas on
Turn on burner
Push starter.
By NeoFlame
LU 57 wrote: I need to do that. As for the wood chunks, I saw a mod that was a screen shelf in the ash bin to elevate the chunks to keep them from getting buried.

Yes! The fan protector is my next mod. Truthfully it isn't because of the fan, the rubber flap is ehh. I'm thinking a finer mesh might do better, I do get a little paranoid about ash entering the cooking area. I saw that ash bin elevated shelf for chunks mod and tried to make one of my own. Still think added to the hopper did better but I'm still playing with it. I just don't want it in direct airflow to the fan. That was my biggest challenge.

@Purple Haize you should just cook them on a skillet or in the oven - same flavor as what you're doing and even easier! :D

Purple smoking something:
LU 57 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
NeoFlame wrote: January 18th, 2022, 10:21 pm
LU 57 wrote: I need to do that. As for the wood chunks, I saw a mod that was a screen shelf in the ash bin to elevate the chunks to keep them from getting buried.

Yes! The fan protector is my next mod. Truthfully it isn't because of the fan, the rubber flap is ehh. I'm thinking a finer mesh might do better, I do get a little paranoid about ash entering the cooking area. I saw that ash bin elevated shelf for chunks mod and tried to make one of my own. Still think added to the hopper did better but I'm still playing with it. I just don't want it in direct airflow to the fan. That was my biggest challenge.

@Purple Haize you should just cook them on a skillet or in the oven - same flavor as what you're doing and even easier! :D

Purple smoking something:
Too much clean up!
NeoFlame, LU 57 liked this
By LU 57
I kept having flareups on the MB 560 when I cooked hot and fast, so I went ahead and got the manifold cover from LSS Mods. I also got the firebox insert because it was pretty beat up in there, with a lot of warping and some of the walls coming apart.

The manifold cover was a layup but the firebox insert took some doing. I don’t even want to say how long it took, but I basically ended up disassembling the entire hopper and firebox sections to get the insert in correctly.

Anyway, it is rolling now with some Texas chili. I highly endorse this recipe:

Have made it 3 times now and it never disappoints.
thepostman liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]