This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By CCWMichael
Our family typically runs 81 most of the way down and back for football games.
I am getting weary of the traffic on 81.
I have traveled 15 from Harrisburg to Manassas and that is a nice drive.
From Manassas on through to Lynchburg is that a fairly nice drive?
Is Charlottesville a hot mess or fairly quick to get around?
Friday (we leave at 8am) on the way down I would expect some traffic due to the holiday on 15 and 29 but thinking 81 would be a hotter mess.
Sunday heading back I would think should be a nice drive given most may still be at the beaches till Monday.
Thanks in advance for your input.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I used to live in Emmitsburg, MD and made the trip the Lynchburg from there many times. I prefer 81, but 15 to 29 is a beautiful drive. Charlottesville is much improved in the last decade or more. Easy pace. You should be fine.
CCWMichael liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Charlottesville has more stop lights on 29 than Morgantown has bars. It’s awful. You MIGHT want to consider dropping down 15 to 64 to 29. 15 has 2 lane roads but if you’re looking for a gorgeous drive that’s it. If you get stuck behind a semi or ballcoach between Culpepper and Orange it might be frustrating. But between Orange and 64 there are at least some areas to pass
I believe the small town of Gordonsville even has one of the best BBQ spots in the state. That’s according to some poll I saw awhile back. I only remember that because I ate there from time to time. Hope that helps
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
I think Charlottesville is much better then it used to be. Much better trip then 81... IMO
CCWMichael liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
29 through Charlottesville is one of the worst commutes in America. Traffic lights galore.
I would take 81 down to Winchester and get on 17 down to I 66 east. Go a short distance on 66, then take 15 down to I 64.
I would avoid 29 to Charlottesville at any cost.
CCWMichael liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: August 31st, 2021, 9:21 pm 29 through Charlottesville is one of the worst commutes in America. Traffic lights galore.
I would take 81 down to Winchester and get on 17 down to I 66 east. Go a short distance on 66, then take 15 down to I 64.
Where in the holy hell are you taking him?

If you’re taking 81 to Lynchburg from PA, you come down Afton Mountain to catch 29 in Nelson County. But Charlottesville is much improved since they widened it all the way through and completed the express lanes.

But the quickest is 81-64-151-6-29.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Also, you asked about 29 Manassas all the way to Lynchburg. I always found it to be relaxing and scenic. Rolling hills. C-Ville has a little congestion, but it's still a pretty small town. Personally, I always seem to stop there. Probably for sentimental reasons. 81 is probably a little faster from PA, but it's drab, and busy. 29 is more relaxing IMO.
flamehunter, JK37 liked this
By CCWMichael
JK37 wrote: August 31st, 2021, 10:55 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: August 31st, 2021, 9:21 pm 29 through Charlottesville is one of the worst commutes in America. Traffic lights galore.
Where in the holy hell are you taking him?

If you’re taking 81 to Lynchburg from PA, you come down Afton Mountain to catch 29 in Nelson County. But Charlottesville is much improved since they widened it all the way through and completed the express lanes.

But the quickest is 81-64-151-6-29.
This is our typical route.
With the heavy rains and the unknowns of local damages we are going to come down our typical route.
We will try the 29/15 route on the way home to get a feel for that route.

Thank you everyone for your input.
By CCWMichael
paradox wrote: August 31st, 2021, 11:40 pm Also, you asked about 29 Manassas all the way to Lynchburg. I always found it to be relaxing and scenic. Rolling hills. C-Ville has a little congestion, but it's still a pretty small town. Personally, I always seem to stop there. Probably for sentimental reasons. 81 is probably a little faster from PA, but it's drab, and busy. 29 is more relaxing IMO.
As I age I am beginning to find the off routes much more enjoyable as well.
Throw in unique to us food options along the way ...... GOLD!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Route 29 is a beautiful drive. Don't let a few stoplights in Cville scare you. Ballcoach always speaks in hyperbole, and he seldom travels north of Madison Heights.
JK37, CCWMichael liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: September 1st, 2021, 10:23 am Route 29 is a beautiful drive. Don't let a few stoplights in Cville scare you. Ballcoach always speaks in hyperbole, and he seldom travels north of Madison Heights.
I seldom travel north of Campbell Avenue, Lynchburg, VA. I can't remember the last time I "crossed to the other side".
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: September 1st, 2021, 10:15 am I always detour around Charlottesville via Gordonsville and Orange when traveling to Northern Virginia.
I know I’m going to regret this, but I can’t stop myself:

How are you getting to the east side of Charlottesville to get to Gordonsville? Out to Appomattox, then up through Palmyra? 15?
CCWMichael liked this
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
95? Hard pass.
CCWMichael liked this
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote: August 31st, 2021, 9:26 am I think Charlottesville is much better then it used to be.
I still don't like it, but it is better. It is ridiculous that we can't get a bypass.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The liberals in Charlottesville and Albermarle County know a bypass around Charlottesville would help Southern Virginia. I have heard I 64 was supposed to be built through Lynchburg, not Charlottesville
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: September 1st, 2021, 5:02 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: September 1st, 2021, 10:15 am I always detour around Charlottesville via Gordonsville and Orange when traveling to Northern Virginia.

How are you getting to the east side of Charlottesville to get to Gordonsville? Out to Appomattox, then up through Palmyra? 15?
Easy. 29-64-15
JK37 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: September 1st, 2021, 9:43 pm
JK37 wrote: September 1st, 2021, 5:02 pm

Easy. 29-64-15
I have taken that route B4, also.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: September 1st, 2021, 9:21 pm The liberals in Charlottesville and Albermarle County know a bypass around Charlottesville would help Southern Virginia. I have heard I 64 was supposed to be built through Lynchburg, not Charlottesville
Then why did they build the express lanes right through the middle of it?

I keep forgetting SJ’s rule. My bad.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: September 1st, 2021, 9:21 pm The liberals in Charlottesville and Albermarle County know a bypass around Charlottesville would help Southern Virginia. I have heard I 64 was supposed to be built through Lynchburg, not Charlottesville
It was an alternative plan that was floated, upgrading 460, 307, and 360, but Charlottesville was the preferred option from the get-go.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstat ... ia#History
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: May 15th, 2022, 9:41 am
Charlottesville was the preferred option from the get-go.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstat ... ia#History
Not according to the wikipedia article YOU linked to!
"This southern route was favored by Governor J. Lindsay Almond and most members of the State Highway Commission. The decision was on hold for three years while the state continued planning for the piece of the US 250 alignment from Richmond to Short Pump, which would be needed anyway to handle traffic.[12] In 1961, US Secretary of Commerce Luther H. Hodges rejected that plan and chose the present route, leaving Lynchburg as the largest city in Virginia not served by an Interstate. Officially, the chosen route was considered more efficient. However, there is speculation that the decision involved "back-room" politics of the Kennedy administration"
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]