This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Without our summer favorites Yellowstone & Songland this year, Mrs. Sly & I are looking to crowdsource some viewing suggestions. Yes, everyone should be recording Yellowstone's 1st three seasons streaming today to play catch-up if you haven't been blessed yet by this series. In the meantime, what are the standouts & hidden gems for folks these days?

My wife & I are HUGE fans of the AppleTV+ series Home Before Dark. The first season was amazing. The little girl who plays the lead Hilde is an amazing actress and a show we can watch as a family without cringing. They have been rolling out new episodes in Season 2 on Fridays.

In general, AppleTV+ pushes out some high quality product. Much like Amazon Prime, they are using their platform in a very different way than mass content pushers Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, Paramount & Peacock. I suspect most everyone is jazzed for Season 2 of Ted Lasso dropping later this month.
I’m watching the latest season of In The Line Of Duty on Britbox.

New season of Bosch on Amazon Prime.

Ditto on Apple TV+. A lot of quality content.

Watching Loki on Disney+.

My wife and I have been binging Survivor on Paramount+. She’s never watched the show and I stopped watching after the 3rd or 4th season.
stokesjokes liked this
Yacht Rock wrote: July 5th, 2021, 11:56 am I’m watching the latest season of In The Line Of Duty on Britbox.

New season of Bosch on Amazon Prime.

Ditto on Apple TV+. A lot of quality content.

Watching Loki on Disney+.

My wife and I have been binging Survivor on Paramount+. She’s never watched the show and I stopped watching after the 3rd or 4th season.
My wife and I have watched every season of Survivor that has aired since we’ve been married, so 20-ish seasons. Big fans.
We are finishing up Mad Men. I swear to goodness we’ve gone through oodles of these premium streaming services. We are going to catch up on some of the “traditional” shows we’ve been recording
But I will tell you this I DESPISE the weekly show drops now. Maybe I’ve gotten spoiled. But give me the season and let me watch at my own pace.
Which is what I’ll be doing with For All Mankind and Handmaids Tale that they’ve dropped all the seasons
Loved Mad Men, some Blacklist episodes, Goliath, Absentia, Yellowstone, Tin Star, Breaking Bad, Downton Abbey. Not sure which one to watch next. Don't have Apple TV, but pretty much everything else. I still watch the Sopranos ever couple of years. Looking forward to the next seasons of Ozarks, Outlander.
I enjoyed Lupin Season 1 and didn't realize that Season 2 had dropped. Good show that reminds me old shows from the '60s & '70s.

I watched some of the original Bosch years ago when it was basically the only thing on Prime. Perhaps I need to give it another try.

I love the Andy Griffith suggestion. When not dialed in on Loki, my youngest daughter is piling through Boy Meets World which likely generates a smile on a several posters's faces. She also had us watch the John Stamos hoops series Big Shots with her on Disney+. It was more watchable than I expected.
LU 57 liked this
It was very Disney in how it rolled out. But I was willing to sit through the entire season with my wife & daughter. I can't say that happen very frequently. Then again I am a sucker for any series incorporating sports.

Now that I am back flying again for work, I am loading up on content for cross-continental flights. I find docu-series to be the easiest for me to enjoy when traveling.
By LU 57
Mare of Eastown on HBO was solid. It was my wife’s pick and I was a bit dubious, but I enjoyed it.

The scenery in Yellowstone is amazing and I watched the first season but ultimately lost interest. My wife kept going with it.

Sly, have you tried Longmire? It’s like a PG-13 version of Yellowstone. We really liked it, but found it hilarious there was that much crime in one Wyoming county.

I lean toward “reality” based TV. Obviously you know about F1. We liked that one. All of the Last Chance U’s are pretty awesome. Have you checked out the basketball? Coach Mosley that is featured is a believer and an awesome role model for the team.

QB1 is pretty cool, following highly recruited HS QBs. One of the seasons is Fromm and Fields, which is pretty interesting.

If you like cooking shows, Chef’s Table is pretty cool. Going to have to check out The American BBQ Showdown that I just stumbled upon.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Longmire is good. The West Wing on HBO+ is, IMO, the greatest show in the history of TV. Going through Downton Abbey now a second time. Big Shots was surprisingly watchable. The Might Ducks series was good for its flashbacks and connections to the old movies.

There are a surprising number of documentaries on Netflix, and I’ve enjoyed several. The latest was Icarus, about the Russian doping scandal. Not the same as binging a series, but….
LU 57 wrote: July 5th, 2021, 6:23 pmHave you checked out the basketball? Coach Mosley that is featured is a believer and an awesome role model for the team.
Coach Mosley played and coached at the Masters College, which has a few LU basketball connections. Wouldn’t want him here, though, he’s nuts 😂
LU 57 liked this
By LU 57
stokesjokes wrote: July 5th, 2021, 9:46 pm
LU 57 wrote: July 5th, 2021, 6:23 pmHave you checked out the basketball? Coach Mosley that is featured is a believer and an awesome role model for the team.
Coach Mosley played and coached at the Masters College, which has a few LU basketball connections. Wouldn’t want him here, though, he’s nuts 😂
No doubt. HCRM for life!
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: July 5th, 2021, 9:46 pm
If there were more behind-the-scenes docs like this, you’d realize most coaches are nuts. Even a lot of LU coaches. Which is precisely why there are not that many BTS/docs about coaches. And many that do exist were produced with strict content rights to the coaches.
LU 57, stokesjokes liked this
I haven't watched a ton of new stuff lately but did catch the newest season of last chance U and loved it. I never was a huge last chance U fan because the coaches just weren't likable but loved Coach Mosley and it was by far my favorite last chance U season.

Since I've been working from home far more often, I tend to put on an older show to put on in the background. I have a long list of shows I want go catch up on and threads like this just make that list longer. Haha
JK37, LU 57 liked this
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
The Expanse on Amazon Prime has been one of my favorites. Though, once Amazon took it over from SyFy, the amount of expletives dramatically increased.
The Americans is really good, but it has a lot of sex in it.
A good movie on Prime is The Vast of Night, which is really well done and is filmed in a long take much like 1917.

My teen girls have the tv on in the background constantly, so my Netflix queue is clogged with crap. They're really into Manifest right now, but I honestly don't think it's that good.
I lose interest in more series than I actually finish.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Also, this is going back a bit, but if you enjoy the superhero stuff, the new content on Disney+ is okay, but go back and watch DareDevil and The Punisher on Netflix. They were phenomenal. I was really bummed when they got discontinued.

And Chef's Table is the best food doc series out there, so well done.
LU 57 liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I admit that I have starred a number of the places featured on Chef's Table on my Google Maps . Exceptionally well done show. Sadly the attention from the show has made experiencing those places much more challenging. After the series dropped, waits at one of the places near me went from lining up 2-3 hours before opening to camping out for a day. The pandemic changed that temporarily but those lines are now back here in Texas.
LU 57 liked this
By LU 57
Sly Fox wrote: July 6th, 2021, 11:21 am I admit that I have starred a number of the places featured on Chef's Table on my Google Maps . Exceptionally well done show. Sadly the attention from the show has made experiencing those places much more challenging. After the series dropped, waits at one of the places near me went from lining up 2-3 hours before opening to camping out for a day. The pandemic changed that temporarily but those lines are now back here in Texas.
Was saying to my wife and daughter that I thought this would be the case. I remember trying to go to the Cake Boss’ bakery with my kids during the peak of that show. The line was multiple blocks. :lol:
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]