This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

That is a whole other discussion though. Though I'm not sure I, John Cooper or anybody on this board can really articulate what being "woke" is. It seems like a forever evolving definition.

But that isn't what John Cooper was talking about. What he is talking about is underestimating the power of God. Similar to the fundies claiming rock music was of the devil and would destroy us all. It is just ridiculous and underselling the God we serve.
thepostman wrote: April 30th, 2021, 8:02 pm That is a whole other discussion though. Though I'm not sure I, John Cooper or anybody on this board can really articulate what being "woke" is. It seems like a forever evolving definition.

But that isn't what John Cooper was talking about. What he is talking about is underestimating the power of God. Similar to the fundies claiming rock music was of the devil and would destroy us all. It is just ridiculous and underselling the God we serve.
https://www.theamericanconservative.com ... term-woke/
Thanks, that article helped prove my point. It made it pretty clear that the definition changes depending on who you talk to. It is a forever evolving definition.

It also won't "wreck Christianity". How fragile do you or John Cooper think our God is?

Ecclesiastes 1:9-10 wrote:What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
Is there anything of which one can say,
“Look! This is something new”?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.
In public schools and state universities the term is not confusing. Nor is it in the secular workplace. Certain influential theological people are wrestling with these concepts. It's evolving for them, only because they want to incorporate it. It's confusing for those who listen to them because ideology counters orthodoxy. It counters orthodoxy because ideology as a doctrine claims moral superiority over all other claims.

Having said that, only a few are actual ideologues. But they are very effective intimidators. The majority seem to give tepid assent, only because they have to, and then they move on and go about their business. It is kind of annoying. But no one seems to know how to stop it.
I’ll take issue with a couple of things in this article, because that’s my job around here.

I don’t like the use of the term “woke” to describe “anything progressive I don’t like.” The way Cooper uses it here is making the term essentially meaningless.

Woke means suddenly aware of (awake to) injustice. That’s how it has been used for a long time before it became hijacked as a pejorative. Let’s not forget that the God of the Bible is deeply concerned about injustice. When used sarcastically or pejoratively, it can mean someone who over-diagnoses or overcorrects on matters of justice.

Now, what Cooper is really taking issue with is post-modern relativism. However, I’d want to be careful here. I believe in objective truth and objective morality. That does not mean that traditional understandings or morals are those objective truths. For how many years did Christianity teach that slavery was either a moral good or at least morally neutral? How many would say it is now?

There’s a progressive revealing at work here, and there’s a tendency to overcorrect on both of these points:

Don’t be so “anti-woke” that you become blind or apathetic to injustice.

Don’t be so “anti-postmodern” that you’re fearful of new ideas or understandings.
thepostman liked this
The Skillet guy isn't really making much sense with what he's saying about relativism and absolutes. Social justice theories are presented as moral absolutes.

Aside from him though, there are broad common concerns that many share.
The notion that a certain ideology must be embraced in order for a person to be in good moral standing is uneccessarily divisive to say the least. That's what most seem to be objecting to. And of course, you can't question their orthodoxy without getting barraged with insults. So, that's why no one speaks up.

The extremism is out there and it's very real for those who are positioned inside the broader mainstream public culture. (and outside the Christian sub-culture.)
Purple Haize wrote: May 1st, 2021, 7:47 pm I feel old. Who is John Cooper?
Depends on which John Cooper you are referring to, which I touched on in an earlier post.
One of them founded a company which makes cute little cars which are incredibly fun to drive.
I believe this thread is referring to the guy who is the front man for Skillet.
olldflame wrote: May 1st, 2021, 8:07 pm
Purple Haize wrote: May 1st, 2021, 7:47 pm I feel old. Who is John Cooper?
Depends on which John Cooper you are referring to, which I touched on in an earlier post.
One of them founded a company which makes cute little cars which are incredibly fun to drive.
I believe this thread is referring to the guy who is the front man for Skillet.
Skillet will be at the BRRF. Solid!
the problem US christianity has is many have turned conservative politics into their true religion. Like are we really certain Jesus would hate things like immigration and welfare? I'm uncertain that he also would have treated minority groups like lbgt and other races with the disdain we have as a nation for years and years. So either we know better than Christ or all this "woke" pushback should give us pause to consider maybe we should handle this in another way. because the way we have been handling it has sent gen x, millenials, and gen z running from the church en masse.
flamehunter, stokesjokes, thepostman and 3 others liked this
Specifically, who are these "Christians" who are anti-diversity on every level as previously explained? I mean are these people actually promoting those positions or is this just seminarian-talk? Or maybe we are talking about the white underclass? The outcasts? The dejected? Who?

Do they have podcasts? Do they write blogs? Do they get published? Who are these guys? Maybe, we're just afraid that people may think that they are us. Is our fear driving us to scapegoat this barely visible straw-man?
RubberMallet wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 10:55 am the problem US christianity has is many have turned conservative politics into their true religion. Like are we really certain Jesus would hate things like immigration and welfare? I'm uncertain that he also would have treated minority groups like lbgt and other races with the disdain we have as a nation for years and years. So either we know better than Christ or all this "woke" pushback should give us pause to consider maybe we should handle this in another way. because the way we have been handling it has sent gen x, millenials, and gen z running from the church en masse.
:dontgetit

Most Christians tend to be socially conservative politically, that's the only connection to politics for me. All the Christians I know support a financial safety net. All the Christians I know favor legal imagration. Jesus was middle eastern so most US Christians are "another race". Most Christians defend life. Most defend biblical marriage between a man and women for the church. Most Christians respect the governments civil union law for others. You've been listening to demacrat falsehoods.

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]