This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
God tells us prioritize the care and provision for our families. Real estate is one of the best financial investments one can make, especially in this era of ridiculously low interest rates.
I believe a person should own as much home as they can afford, unless one is independently wealthy. In fact, reaching a little bit to pay for a little more home can be a very good financial decision. (Not so cars and stuff).
I have purchased 5 homes and in hindsight, wished I had bought a bigger one each time. When retirement time arrives, it sure is a good feeling, and financially prudent, to have a good deal of equity built up in real estate. It doesn't go down in price very often.
chris leedlelee liked this
flameshaw wrote: March 15th, 2021, 11:58 am God tells us prioritize the care and provision for our families. Real estate is one of the best financial investments one can make, especially in this era of ridiculously low interest rates.
I believe a person should own as much home as they can afford, unless one is independently wealthy. In fact, reaching a little bit to pay for a little more home can be a very good financial decision. (Not so cars and stuff).
I have purchased 5 homes and in hindsight, wished I had bought a bigger one each time. When retirement time arrives, it sure is a good feeling, and financially prudent, to have a good deal of equity built up in real estate. It doesn't go down in price very often.
In an era of mass money printing and inflation, real estate is one of the surefire things to retain your own personal wealth. Owning assets which accrue value, rather than lose them, is one of the most important means of having a positive net worth.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Very true. For a variety of reasons, some his own doing and others not, my father did not leave my mom with much in the bank when he died at the relatively young age of 71. What he did leave her was a house that was 100% paid for. As a result, she lived comfortably for 25 years after he was gone, and when she passed was able to leave something to her children.
flameshaw liked this
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Some of the best financial advice I have received over the years:

- Live within your means so that you can save and give
- Consumer debt is bad (therefore, live within your means)
- Have an emergency fund
- To create wealth, buy and hold assets
- In all circumstances, be content with what you have and where you are
- Write down the reasons why you purchased an investment and when and why you will sell it someday
- If your buddy offers you a stock tip, smile, nod and do not purchase.
By LUAlum1215
RubberMallet wrote: March 15th, 2021, 11:00 am
LUAlum1215 wrote:I've long followed Dave and subscribed to the FPU plan/method/etc back since his TV show on Fox Business more than a decade ago. I've taught FPU at church and pushed/given the program to those I thought could benefit from it. As far as the practical advice I agree with almost all of it. But in all likelihood I'm done with FPU. I follow a FB group of FPU coordinators to keep tabs on the program and how it changes and issues others are coming across. Since I last taught, the program has been morphed into several different "memberships" now where the only thing that changes much is the name and cost but the benefits stay the same. Every book I've read from Ramsey Solutions seemingly has the same text with a different cover. After a few different runs through the same ringer, I'd pretty much decided to be done with FPU. I'd heard some rumors that Dave was going off the deep end but didn't realize to the extent that was true until reading some of the articles linked in this thread. Instead of continuing to push this company and their product my wife and I have decided to study money, finances, and possessions from a Biblical perspective ourselves and "write" our own study to lead at church. We really believe personal finance is one of the most important but lacking areas of knowledge for a lot of people so if we can help we want to, but not by using FPU any longer.
Great post. its definitely crossed my mind as well. I listened to a sermon that talked about giving and gave statistics and it was pretty disheartening. a year or so later I was approached about advertising FPU to the class we ran. At that time full of newlyweds and people just beginning to start families. I did and to encourage people to do it, we did it too.

They began with everyone writing down their non mortgage debt and what was in savings. and the leader tallied it all up and put it up on the board. I was absolutely awestruck by the number. It was HUGE. and it kind of hit me, no wonder people don't often give like they should. they are mired in so much debt! So i asked the guy if i could lead it in the fall, he was basically like this is the last year for me and I took it over.

We did not do it last year, due to covid. the year prior it was still the workbook. I began looking at the way its done now and i'm kind of in the same boat as you.

Have you ever looked at Crown Financial?
My dad taught a Crown class when I was in middle school so I know what it is but that's about it. I have one of Larry Burketts books, but not sure I've read it through. That would be a good class to look at and do some research on though.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
LUAlum1215 wrote:
RubberMallet wrote: March 15th, 2021, 11:00 am
LUAlum1215 wrote:I've long followed Dave and subscribed to the FPU plan/method/etc back since his TV show on Fox Business more than a decade ago. I've taught FPU at church and pushed/given the program to those I thought could benefit from it. As far as the practical advice I agree with almost all of it. But in all likelihood I'm done with FPU. I follow a FB group of FPU coordinators to keep tabs on the program and how it changes and issues others are coming across. Since I last taught, the program has been morphed into several different "memberships" now where the only thing that changes much is the name and cost but the benefits stay the same. Every book I've read from Ramsey Solutions seemingly has the same text with a different cover. After a few different runs through the same ringer, I'd pretty much decided to be done with FPU. I'd heard some rumors that Dave was going off the deep end but didn't realize to the extent that was true until reading some of the articles linked in this thread. Instead of continuing to push this company and their product my wife and I have decided to study money, finances, and possessions from a Biblical perspective ourselves and "write" our own study to lead at church. We really believe personal finance is one of the most important but lacking areas of knowledge for a lot of people so if we can help we want to, but not by using FPU any longer.
Great post. its definitely crossed my mind as well. I listened to a sermon that talked about giving and gave statistics and it was pretty disheartening. a year or so later I was approached about advertising FPU to the class we ran. At that time full of newlyweds and people just beginning to start families. I did and to encourage people to do it, we did it too.

They began with everyone writing down their non mortgage debt and what was in savings. and the leader tallied it all up and put it up on the board. I was absolutely awestruck by the number. It was HUGE. and it kind of hit me, no wonder people don't often give like they should. they are mired in so much debt! So i asked the guy if i could lead it in the fall, he was basically like this is the last year for me and I took it over.

We did not do it last year, due to covid. the year prior it was still the workbook. I began looking at the way its done now and i'm kind of in the same boat as you.

Have you ever looked at Crown Financial?
My dad taught a Crown class when I was in middle school so I know what it is but that's about it. I have one of Larry Burketts books, but not sure I've read it through. That would be a good class to look at and do some research on though.
i believe its changed somewhat since Burkett is gone but I think fundamentally its still what it always has been. i think it focuses more on the stewardship part of it and less about the get out of debt (which IMO FPU is geared towards).
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]