This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I didn’t see anyone mention these but to icons in their fields passed away this week
Carman was once described to me as the Tom Jones of Christian music. While I like Tom Jones I wasn’t a big Carman fan even though I appreciated his talent. First time I saw him was one of his very first concerts. Like ever. I believe we took him out to eat after he performed at our church. People I’ve know who interacted with him had only good things to say about him (some surprisingly so). He was very genuine and caring. It amazed me that he could put out music that could appeal to the Blue Hairs, Parents and Youth of a church. I’d also love to see an Artist Tree, similar to a Coaching Tree, of all the artists he mentored or discovered etc.

Rush Limbaugh also lost his battle with lung cancer. I was an avid listeners back in the old Rush Room days having discovered his program when I was overseas. He almost alone saved AM radio at a time before we had a lot of options. He was a bold fresh voice of Conservatism that made you proud to be both an American and Conservative. He was absolutely entertaining and brought Political Talk. Radio into the mainstream. I stopped listening to him when I could no longer get a good signal on a station that carried him and switched to another host. He was controversial for sure. But despite all the bombast, he was a pretty caring person and had a diverse group of friends (see Elton John) I just happen to have the station on Thursday when the familiar music started and thought I’d listen to hear who was filing in. As soon as I heard his wife...I knew. He will be sorely missed by those who both loved and loathed him
LU 57, flamehunter, rtb72 and 2 others liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Did Rush ever speak at LU? To the best of my knowledge, he didn't. But my memory isn't quite what it used to be. :oldhag
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
When I was 13 years old I ran the spot light for my church's youth group's Champion skit. Champion by Carman that is. I applied the red lense cover for the spotlight when the devil came out to signify evil.

That's my Carman story.
Purple Haize, LU 57 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: February 21st, 2021, 4:07 pm When I was 13 years old I ran the spot light for my church's youth group's Champion skit. Champion by Carman that is. I applied the red lense cover for the spotlight when the devil came out to signify evil.

That's my Carman story.
That explains so much about you...
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
My grandmother loved Rush. I remember back in the day she'd record his TV show everyday. Fun times. I never really cared too much for him but he was an undeniable force in the broadcasting world.

That's my Rush story.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:When I was 13 years old I ran the spot light for my church's youth group's Champion skit. Champion by Carman that is. I applied the red lense cover for the spotlight when the devil came out to signify evil.

That's my Carman story.
HAHA we ALSO had a Carman skit to the champion
thepostman liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Rush will forever be remembered as a great conservative icon and the best that radio has ever had, or likely to produce. He cared for others and was mercilessly hammered by the hateful left. RIP Rush. America will miss you.
TH Spangler, Chippy liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: February 21st, 2021, 4:05 pm Did Rush ever speak at LU? To the best of my knowledge, he didn't. But my memory isn't quite what it used to be. :oldhag
I have it on good authority that Carman played in Vines back in 89. I’m sure he was on campus more than once through the years.
phoenix liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 3:52 pm
Cider Jim wrote: February 21st, 2021, 4:05 pm Did Rush ever speak at LU? To the best of my knowledge, he didn't. But my memory isn't quite what it used to be. :oldhag
I have it on good authority that Carman played in Vines back in 89. I’m sure he was on campus more than once through the years.
He was never invited when Doc was around because even though he liked his politics, Doc didn't like the occasional "salty" language and sexual innuendo that was part of Rush's show (moreso back then than recently) and the cigar smoking, whiskey drinking image he portrayed in his life style. I am a bit surprised JR never had him.
flameshaw liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I once heard Jerry say that he wasn't sure he wanted Rush to get saved. It might mess him up.

I don't see a whole lot of difference between Rush being a drinker, smoker, etc. than having a murderer like Ted Kennedy speak at convo.

I suspect Rush was asked, but probably refused, due to the fact that there was nothing to be gained for him to do so. Bigger fish, same pond.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 6:14 pm
He was never invited when Doc was around because even though he liked his politics, Doc didn't like the occasional "salty" language and sexual innuendo that was part of Rush's show (moreso back then than recently) and the cigar smoking, whiskey drinking image he portrayed in his life style. I am a bit surprised JR never had him.
I thought you were talking about Carman at first, and I was thinking, “I don’t remember any salty language or innuendo.” Although, apparently he had addiction problems:

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I’ve been waiting for the Sly Fox name drop stories...
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
My second Carman concert as at LU, but it wasn't in the Vines. My first was at the Salem Civic Center (I misremembered that it was Roanoke before) with the lady who would be my wife (about ten years later). I remember at Salem that Carman asked how many people of different denominations were in the crowd. The biggest cheer was for Baptists - then he asked how many of us were Liberty Baptists, and told us to tell Jer that Carm said "Yo." I think it was the following year that Carman played at Liberty for the first time - that would have been '87 or '88, I think.

It wouldn't have been the Vines in 1989, though. It wasn't there yet - it wasn't finished until '90.
stokesjokes liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I was proudly part or the last generation of LU students that attended hockey games in Salem and had many fun run ins at the guard shack since we always stopped for food on the way back. LUPD always gave us a hard time for being "too late".

Fun times.
stokesjokes, 47/5-2 liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: February 26th, 2021, 10:43 pm I was proudly part or the last generation of LU students that attended hockey games in Salem and had many fun run ins at the guard shack since we always stopped for food on the way back. LUPD always gave us a hard time for being "too late".

Fun times.
Umm, the hockey games in our time were played in Roanoke at some facility not far from the airport. Matshark and I went to nearly every one my freshman and sophomore years, but because I lived on East Campus I didn't have to deal with the guard shack 8)
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
The Ice Station in Roanoke? It’s a gymnastics facility now. Growing up I played ice hockey there. It was right by the airport so that must be the place!
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]