This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: August 28th, 2021, 8:06 am The current situation has, IMHO, spotlighted what I think is a serious flaw with our chain of succession system. Even though it was updated fairly recently (2006) It seems antiquated to me, and is clearly intended to replace the President with someone like-minded in the event of his death. However, if a President is impeached or forced to resign due to corruption or incompetence, you are almost always going to have have people from the same party, many who were selected by the departing President, all the way down the line. While there has been some talk from the right about Biden needing to go, it certainly is being restrained by who his replacement would be; someone who is demonstrably incompetent/unqualified and was selected for her position based soley on her sex and skin color. It would certainly require a constitutional amendment, which is not an easy thing to do (and rightly so), but I would be in favor of requiring an expedited special election to replace a President who is impeached or resigns under pressure because of his misdeeds. This is not a novel concept, and is something done pretty much routinely in many other countries.
Our current order of succession can be found in this Wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... succession

Anyone else find this troubling?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
A little quick research reveals that the Constitution only specifies that the Vice-President succeeds the President. The 25th amendment covers the nomination of a new Vice-President by the President and confirmed by both houses of congress. None of this changes what I talked about in my prior post. The succession act of 1947 (amended in 2006) details the order from there, but only really would come into play if the POTUS and VP left (for whatever reason) at the same time, which would almost certainly be as a result of an assassination or act of war. It certainly looks like an amendment would be needed to change things.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: August 28th, 2021, 8:53 amAnyone else find this troubling?
It depends on what you mean by troubling.

If you don’t like the current “line of succession,” make sure qualified, honorable, electable people run in their place and get them in office.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: August 28th, 2021, 8:06 am The current situation has, IMHO, spotlighted what I think is a serious flaw with our chain of succession system. Even though it was updated fairly recently (2006) It seems antiquated to me, and is clearly intended to replace the President with someone like-minded in the event of his death. However, if a President is impeached or forced to resign due to corruption or incompetence, you are almost always going to have have people from the same party, many who were selected by the departing President, all the way down the line. While there has been some talk from the right about Biden needing to go, it certainly is being restrained by who his replacement would be; someone who is demonstrably incompetent/unqualified and was selected for her position based soley on her sex and skin color. It would certainly require a constitutional amendment, which is not an easy thing to do (and rightly so), but I would be in favor of requiring an expedited special election to replace a President who is impeached or resigns under pressure because of his misdeeds. This is not a novel concept, and is something done pretty much routinely in many other countries.
Cool then let’s bring on universal healthcare too then if we’re going with how things are done routinely in other countries.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: August 28th, 2021, 8:53 am
Our current order of succession can be found in this Wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... succession

Anyone else find this troubling?
Deeply troubling. As is the entire Democratic Party with very few exceptions.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: August 28th, 2021, 9:06 am A little quick research reveals that the Constitution only specifies that the Vice-President succeeds the President. The 25th amendment covers the nomination of a new Vice-President by the President and confirmed by both houses of congress. None of this changes what I talked about in my prior post. The succession act of 1947 (amended in 2006) details the order from there, but only really would come into play if the POTUS and VP left (for whatever reason) at the same time, which would almost certainly be as a result of an assassination or act of war. It certainly looks like an amendment would be needed to change things.
Not a disagreement, just a note- the last time the president and VP left was from neither an act of war nor an assassination.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
This administration hasn't done a quarter of the preparation needed for Ida. Praying for people in Louisiana.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Interesting analogy from israelnationalnews.com as to why the Afghan Army succumbed so quickly:

"An analogy could be made to a teacher instructing her students how to solve complex mathematical equations with the assistance of a calculator. But just as their final test commences, the teacher removes the batteries from her students' calculators. Some of the students futilely try to solve the math problems with great difficulty; others are discouraged and walk out, knowing that a failing grade is inevitable. When the entire class fails, the teacher then berates them, claiming that their own unwillingness to learn or take their education seriously is to blame.

This is precisely what Biden did on August 16th, 2021. He even lied and falsely claimed specifically that the US was still adequately maintaining the Afghan air force when in reality he had already sent most of the contracted maintenance crews home. Even worse, rather than admit that his administration rejected the strong counsel of his own defense officials and ultimately crippled the Afghan military at their greatest hour of need, Biden instead had the audacity and the chutzpah to falsely accuse his demoralized Afghan allies of disloyalty, lack of motivation, and even cowardice.

With “friends” like these, no wonder the Afghans shrugged in despair and acquiesced to the Taliban takeover."

Here is the link to the full article.
https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News ... spx/312541
Purple Haize liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
One thing that concerned me regarding Biden's sit-down event with the Israeli PM---"Israel will defend herself." And she will, but at what price? Who knows? Historically, allied forces have always stepped in on Israel's behalf in order to avoid an escalation leading to a world war. Now what? The minute Israel starts mowing down those banana republics, we have a global problem on our hands. How long will it take for Russia or China to step in? There may be no coming back from that one.

Another thing...my cable has BBC News, France News, and CBC News for some reason. Watched a little over the weekend. They all paint a similar picture. America as the only free super-power has turned her back on the world. US leadership has been non-existent since 2009. Biden is a backstabber and the worst expression of what America has become. US can no longer be trusted because she hurts her so-called friends. The sense of betrayal is very real.

Lastly, Armin Laschet, who is presumed to be the next leader of Germany called it....the biggest fiasco in NATO alliance history.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: August 29th, 2021, 9:58 am One thing that concerned me regarding Biden's sit-down event with the Israeli PM---"Israel will defend herself." And she will, but at what price? Who knows? Historically, allied forces have always stepped in on Israel's behalf in order to avoid an escalation leading to a world war. Now what? The minute Israel starts mowing down those banana republics, we have a global problem on our hands. How long will it take for Russia or China to step in? There may be no coming back from that one.

Another thing...my cable has BBC News, France News, and CBC News for some reason. Watched a little over the weekend. They all paint a similar picture. America as the only free super-power has turned her back on the world. US leadership has been non-existent since 2009. Biden is a backstabber and the worst expression of what America has become. US can no longer be trusted because she hurts her so-called friends. The sense of betrayal is very real.

Lastly, Armin Laschet, who is presumed to be the next leader of Germany called it....the biggest fiasco in NATO alliance history.
First most of this fits in with Bible prophecy. Keep an eye on Iran Russia and Turkey.

Second, it seems like anytime Jake Sullivan and Susan Rice are involved in anything it's a disaster for us and Israel.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: August 29th, 2021, 9:58 am One thing that concerned me regarding Biden's sit-down event with the Israeli PM---"Israel will defend herself." And she will, but at what price? Who knows? Historically, allied forces have always stepped in on Israel's behalf in order to avoid an escalation leading to a world war. Now what? The minute Israel starts mowing down those banana republics, we have a global problem on our hands. How long will it take for Russia or China to step in? There may be no coming back from that one.

To be fair, our most significant attempts at “nation building” has seen a lot of failing ever since WWII ended

Used to rarely ever lose a conflict. Sure USA lost numerous individual battles, but rarely extended campaigns of any sort. Didn’t lose a single conflict until 1868 with the relatively minor Red Cloud’s War. Weren’t on the losing end of another conflict until the Russian Civil War in 1920, but the US was a relatively minor participant in that one.

Those were the only two L’s the US had suffered in the World War II era and earlier.

Post World War II? L’s all over the place.

Korea, L
Vietnam, L
Lebanon in the 80s, L
Somalia in the 90s, L and they are still embroiled in Civil War
Afghanistan, a 20-year royal #!@& up

Don’t like at all how the Afghanistan War is ending, it at least that forever war has finally come to an end. If after 20 years this was the best we could do, what was another 5, 10, 20 years going to accomplish? We can’t just stay there forever holding their hand into perpetuity.

I’d be perfectly fine if the USA stopped acting like the police for the world and started taking care of our own for once. We have numerous problems that significantly effect the daily life of millions of Americans that would be a much better investment of US dollars than continually losing international conflicts (or seeing the US win only to have the benefits of the win be eradicated in less than a decade).
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
No one wants the US policing the world. The whole point with NATO was to prevent future world wars. America emerged as the lone free super-power after WW2 because we prospered immensely from the war, while our European allies were devastated and bankrupted by it. Obama & Trump certainly did some unconventional things, but nothing that even closely scratches the surface of the absurdity that we have been witnessing over the past two weeks under Biden.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: August 29th, 2021, 9:04 am Interesting analogy from israelnationalnews.com as to why the Afghan Army succumbed so quickly:

"An analogy could be made to a teacher instructing her students how to solve complex mathematical equations with the assistance of a calculator. But just as their final test commences, the teacher removes the batteries from her students' calculators. Some of the students futilely try to solve the math problems with great difficulty; others are discouraged and walk out, knowing that a failing grade is inevitable. When the entire class fails, the teacher then berates them, claiming that their own unwillingness to learn or take their education seriously is to blame.

This is precisely what Biden did on August 16th, 2021. He even lied and falsely claimed specifically that the US was still adequately maintaining the Afghan air force when in reality he had already sent most of the contracted maintenance crews home. Even worse, rather than admit that his administration rejected the strong counsel of his own defense officials and ultimately crippled the Afghan military at their greatest hour of need, Biden instead had the audacity and the chutzpah to falsely accuse his demoralized Afghan allies of disloyalty, lack of motivation, and even cowardice.

With “friends” like these, no wonder the Afghans shrugged in despair and acquiesced to the Taliban takeover."

Here is the link to the full article.
https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News ... spx/312541
Huh. They must have read some of my FB and online posts. That’s a perfect analogy.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I saw a good tweet over the weekend. It originated in a Prague newspaper.

"Danger to America isn't Joe Biden, but a citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him, with the presidency "
TH Spangler liked this
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I'm guessing the Taliban took down the BLM and Pride flags put up over the embassy in Kabul when Biden took office.
ballcoach15, LU 57 liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote: August 30th, 2021, 3:27 pm I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I'm guessing the Taliban took down the BLM and Pride flags put up over the embassy in Kabul when Biden took office.
Those flags and religious flags are not appropriate over government owned building. US and arm forces flags are the only ones that should be flown.
Last edited by TH Spangler on September 1st, 2021, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: August 27th, 2021, 10:40 am
thepostman wrote: August 27th, 2021, 7:22 am
TH Spangler wrote: August 26th, 2021, 11:53 am If we start sending out draft notices, might that cause people to give more thought when casting their votes. Might they start demanding more truth from Journalist. More skin in the game.
Out of curiosity, why do you keep bringing up the draft?
The all volunteer armed forces is the way to go. But I worry about its sustainability when a former CIA Director Gen. Michael Hayden equates President Trump’s supporters in the United States with the Taliban in Afghanistan. And military brass are saying the military has a problem with domestic extremists. Who are they talking about?
So you're just suggesting the draft may be a thing without having much of anything to back it up? I don't really get your point.

There is absolutely ZERO need for a draft and if there is one thing everybody with military ties can agree on, I'd imagine that would be one of them.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
I hope it stays that way. If enlistments drop it might be required. One news outlet was discussing the fact some military families are becoming discouraged with leadership.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Everyone ages 18-25 should at least, go through Basic Training, and maybe Advanced Individual Training. This would enrich them physically and mentally. Too many young whippersnappers today are lazy, have no vision towards the future, and many are existing with no purpose in life.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Putting that burden on the military isn't an efficient use of the military.

On top of that, there are plenty of hard working young people in our country. Your statement isn't based on anything factual.
Purple Haize liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 11:39 am Putting that burden on the military isn't an efficient use of the military.

On top of that, there are plenty of hard working young people in our country. Your statement isn't based on anything factual.
The facts are in my eyes. I see them every day.

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]