This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: February 28th, 2022, 11:29 pm
thepostman wrote: February 28th, 2022, 7:56 pm Yeah. I don't want to always be seen as a Biden apologist on this board because there is certainly plenty of valid criticism of him but I think he made the right call here. Making this into a Russia/US thing would've been a huge mistake. Now did he make the right call on purpose or just stumble upon it??? I'll let you all decide :lol:
He didn’t make it anything because he didn’t really do anything
I mean, decideding to take no action is still a decision and I think the right one. I don't know if that was on purpose or not, but I've been wanting Europe to get more involved in these kinds of things for a while so I am glad to see that they finally are. We don't need to be the world's police all of the time, especially when others closer to the region are much better suited to respond.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: February 28th, 2022, 4:29 pm
paradox wrote: February 28th, 2022, 4:12 pm Again, the most positive take from all this is the resolute European response. It's a good thing. Europe rightfully in the driver's seat with Joe & Kamala in the back, giggling & making fart noises.
Leading from behind
....or better known as the Biden Doctrine. We'll see where all of this leads. Russia becoming more isolated by the day. Their economy on brink of collapse. New Cold War era potentially looming. Make no mistake about it, we are the key player in the West. 90% of the world's nukes are in the hands of USA/Russia.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I also don't want to look like a Biden apologist, but y'all are so anti-everything he does that it makes it hard not to play the role. If Biden held a press conference tomorrow saying how much he liked ice cream, y'all would be on here talking about how dairy desserts are a communist plot.

That being said, Biden has made it clear since he took office that strengthening NATO was a top priority for his administration. I've heard US diplomats say that the job that the Biden administration has done regarding NATO is miles ahead of what they thought was realistic. NATO is strong and able to lead here in part because of the work of the Biden administration.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: March 1st, 2022, 9:15 am
thepostman wrote: February 28th, 2022, 7:56 pm Yeah. I don't want to always be seen as a Biden apologist on this board because there is certainly plenty of valid criticism of him but I think he made the right call here. Making this into a Russia/US thing would've been a huge mistake. Now did he make the right call on purpose or just stumble upon it??? I'll let you all decide :lol:
I mean, decideding to take no action is still a decision and I think the right one. I don't know if that was on purpose or not, but I've been wanting Europe to get more involved in these kinds of things for a while so I am glad to see that they finally are. We don't need to be the world's police all of the time, especially when others closer to the region are much better suited to respond.

He seems to be saying that, Biden, at best, is a non-factor on anything perceived as positive. If the Harvard poll holds, then the public seems to be taking it a step further. Not sure of the first number, but something like 65% say that this could've been prevented under Trump. The most interesting part of this poll, and I remembered this exact number, but 38% of Dems believe that it could've been prevented. So, if this poll is a legit representation, then Biden is largely viewed as a weak inept leader, even within a sizable chunk of his own party.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
But that goes back to the "everything revolves around the USA" mindset that way too many people have in this country.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
There have been military conflicts around the world over the last 20+ years on a regular basis. Why does this conflict get everyone's attention. We've been programmed to believe that this has some enormous consequences that requires every country's attention and/or resources. Does anyone remember Bosnia and Kosovo? Remember how important Afghanistan was to global stability until it wasn't. Why is this conflict so important? Last month, the US bombed Somalia with drone strikes. Why aren't we talking about that?

The World Economic Forum has an agenda. If the WEF is for something, I'm against it. If the leaders of countries, companies and NGOs around the world that graduated from the WEF program are for something, I'm against it. In unison, they've all jumped into the ring to support the government of Ukraine. Something in this conflict benefits the agenda of the WEF. Therefore, I'm against it.

I was born in the Viet Nam war era at the end of the Cold War. I remember doing nuclear drills in elementary school where we hid under our desks . Would that have helped anything? :shock: From my generation, the USSR has always been the bad guy. Putin is a former leader of the KGB. For years, Russia has taken the position that they do not want NATO on their border. It was no secret that any advances beyond the flirtations between the Ukraine and NATO would provoke a response from Russia. The EU and NATO I don't trust Putin or Russia.

I would prefer that the US would proactively take a public position that we are staying out of this conflict. I believe that scenario is unlikely with our defense dollars tied into biolabs in the Ukraine. If there is something to salvage, the US will get it.

Unfortunately, innocent people that just want to live their lives get caught up in the atrocities of military conflict. My concern is for these people.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: March 1st, 2022, 12:44 pm But that goes back to the "everything revolves around the USA" mindset that way too many people have in this country.
No, everything does not revolve around the USA, but it did revolve around the US Dollar. The grip has been weakened in the last 3 years.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
The fact is that it happened while Biden was president and didn’t happen while Trump was. Beyond that people are going to draw their conclusions based on their biases (me too).

Color me skeptical that the guy whose campaign was managed by a guy who worked for a pro-Russian Ukrainian party for a decade and made the GOP remove support for Ukraine from its 2016 platform and then was impeached for trying to extort Ukraine by withholding aid from them was somehow acting as a deterrent from Russia invading Ukraine.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
What you're saying here is pure party-line advertising. You're right that most people have leanings. But you can have a leaning and still desire to know what's real. You're passionate and committed. I'll give you that.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: March 1st, 2022, 12:44 pm But that goes back to the "everything revolves around the USA" mindset that way too many people have in this country.
I have to ask, is that the Biden apology? "You people who tease Biden think everything revolves around the USA. Well, I got news for ya, it doesn't.....so there."
By rtb72
stokesjokes wrote: March 1st, 2022, 1:18 pm The fact is that it happened while Biden was president and didn’t happen while Trump was. Beyond that people are going to draw their conclusions based on their biases (me too).

Color me skeptical that the guy whose campaign was managed by a guy who worked for a pro-Russian Ukrainian party for a decade and made the GOP remove support for Ukraine from its 2016 platform and then was impeached for trying to extort Ukraine by withholding aid from them was somehow acting as a deterrent from Russia invading Ukraine.
Biden was impeached???
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: March 1st, 2022, 1:43 pm
I have to ask, is that the Biden apology? "You people who tease Biden think everything revolves around the USA. Well, I got news for ya, it doesn't.....so there."
I have no idea what the Biden apology would be. I doubt it would be that.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: March 1st, 2022, 1:36 pm What you're saying here is pure party-line advertising. You're right that most people have leanings. But you can have a leaning and still desire to know what's real. You're passionate and committed. I'll give you that.
Which part of what I said isn't true? If you desire to know what's real, those are pretty easily confirmable facts. I think that who happened to be president when Russia invaded Ukraine is probably more incidental than anything, but this insistence that Trump could have or even would have wanted to prevent this doesn't seem to be based on much.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
C'mon now. Not everyone goes "all in" with Chris Hayes. The Russian conspiracies are a black eye on the Dems. It's silly and excessive.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I'm not talking Russian conspiracies. Manafort worked for Viktor Yanukovych, prime minister of Ukraine with the pro-Russia "Party of Regions." He joins the Trump campaign and someone serendipitously changes the 2016 GOP platform to soften language around supporting Ukraine against Russia, despite majority support from Republicans for providing that support. Several sources come out and say this was at the direction of the Trump campaign.

Fast forward a couple of years and the president was, in fact, impeached for withholding aid to Ukraine as an attempt to extort political favors. There's no conspiracy here.
Just John liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: March 1st, 2022, 3:32 pm I'm not talking Russian conspiracies. Manafort worked for Viktor Yanukovych, prime minister of Ukraine with the pro-Russia "Party of Regions." He joins the Trump campaign and someone serendipitously changes the 2016 GOP platform to soften language around supporting Ukraine against Russia, despite majority support from Republicans for providing that support. Several sources come out and say this was at the direction of the Trump campaign.

Fast forward a couple of years and the president was, in fact, impeached for withholding aid to Ukraine as an attempt to extort political favors. There's no conspiracy here.
Biden's were making crony money in Ukraine, right?
Purple Haize liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Manipulating and redirecting partial truths is a major player in the art of deception. These Trump/Russian political narratives were never intended for you or I. They appear to be targeted toward the blue-collar Cold War era boomer, many of whom left the Dem base and went with Trump. Guys like these are fertile ground for conspiracies like this. It's all about politics.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote: March 1st, 2022, 1:46 pm
stokesjokes wrote: March 1st, 2022, 1:18 pm
Biden was impeached???

In order to be impeached in the modern era, you need to be a colossal threat to the opposing party. It usually means you're tapping the other guy's base. Reagan would be the exception. Dems called him tephlon because they couldn't get anything to stick. His popularity and support was too wide and vast. But fiercely hated by Dem diehards nonetheless.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
So any stories that paint Trump in a negative light are lies and all stories that paint Biden in a negative light are true. Did I do it right?
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Depends on what your goal is. It's not like it's obligatory to play it that way. There's always the option to think for yourself. But, everyone gets deceived by political spin from time to time.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: March 1st, 2022, 9:15 am
I like that Europe is stepping up. But these measures are way to late in the game His decision to do nothing is killing people
By rtb72
paradox wrote: March 1st, 2022, 5:06 pm
rtb72 wrote: March 1st, 2022, 1:46 pm
stokesjokes wrote: March 1st, 2022, 1:18 pm
Biden was impeached???

In order to be impeached in the modern era, you need to be a colossal threat to the opposing party. It usually means you're tapping the other guy's base. Reagan would be the exception. Dems called him tephlon because they couldn't get anything to stick. His popularity and support was too wide and vast. But fiercely hated by Dem diehards nonetheless.
My point was simply that, Biden's "caught on tape" moment was nothing short of blackmail to have a prosecutor fired. Of course he wasn't impeached. Nor will he be. The last thing the R's need to do is go down that silly road if they get into power, UNLESS it is very well warranted. I think there might be an argument that you can't impeach Biden, because he can't even remember what he had for breakfast, much less a decision "he made".
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Agreed. And there's probably zero interest to impeach him. He's a threat to no one, except his own party.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]