This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: March 11th, 2021, 7:54 am Democrats' $1.9 Trillion 'COVID Relief' Bill Includes $86 Billion in Pension Bailouts

https://trib.al/DaMpM3G
The pension system for government employees in California is a disaster. There are retirees who worked relatively low skilled jobs taking home six figures.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: March 11th, 2021, 9:57 am
TH Spangler wrote: March 11th, 2021, 7:54 am Democrats' $1.9 Trillion 'COVID Relief' Bill Includes $86 Billion in Pension Bailouts

https://trib.al/DaMpM3G

The pension system for government employees in California is a disaster.
There are retirees who worked relatively low skilled jobs taking home six figures.
Not anymore Nancy just got you and I to fund it. Now she's free to start buying more votes :lol:
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I am not a Biden guy at all. In fact I'm pretty unimpressed by him early on but that tweet is extremely misleading as YR said. I happen to know by first hand accounts how the soldiers have been treated. Not the partisan crap being spewed my the media and polticians via Twitter.

You guys are better than buying into misleading tweets aren't you?
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I am not a Biden guy at all. In fact I'm pretty unimpressed by him early on but that tweet is extremely misleading as YR said. I happen to know by first hand accounts how the soldiers have been treated. Not the partisan crap being spewed my the media and polticians via Twitter.

You guys are better than buying into misleading tweets aren't you?
Yeah, I’m in the same place. There’s enough real things in our country to feel strongly about or outraged on all sides of the political spectrum. No need to peddle misleading stuff when there’s so much out ripe for the picking if you want to look. It just might not look as sexy in sound bites and on social media posts.
thepostman liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
As each Biden day passes, the more concerned I am for our country. I have no idea who's calling the shots now. Everything's up for sale to China. Our boarders have been thrown wide open. People are entering from all over, some from terrorist regions, some are on our terrorist watch list . Covin19 concerns don't seem to matter on the southern boarder. Someone wants to get rid of the genders God created. As time passes it becomes clear that BLM is not about black lives mattering, its a movement to divide us, rooted in Marxism. Our schools are a mess. Who gets canceled next :cry:
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Those things are all great talking points from Fox News and all of the conservatives media talking heads so I can see why those are the things that concern you, however they aren't based in reality. There is a ton of pressure being put on China which is why the Chinese officials weren't exactly pleased in their meeting in Alaska over the weekend. Both China and Russia are being challenged at appropriate levels right now. The border has been a mess for years and despite what you may have been told by Trump, the amount of encounters at the southern border continue to rise under Trump. It is a mess and I don't think Trump should hang his hat on his immigration policy considering the facts. I also do not believe the Biden administration has any clue what to do either. It is a disaster and one in which we can not fix on our own. We need the help of Mexico but they have never seemed interested in helping us with the immigration problem.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/cbp- ... statistics

With that said, I don't think this current administration has a clue in how to fix the economy and the amount of money being thrown around at things that don't matter, have me concerned. That isn't what gets the clicks though. Instead conservative media would rather talk about cancel culture and pretend they are all somehow martyrs.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Why did Biden stop securing the boarder the day he took office? Why did he start sending money to foreign countries to pay for abortions? Why is he so set on endangering women's spots by allowing biological males in. He's as limp as a wet dish rag. I suspect some billionaire is paying for the agenda to be fourced on us.

Sign of the times.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Malcolm Gladwell did an interesting deep dive on the immigration problem for his podcast, Revisionist History.

He argues that if you look at the history, illegal immigration only really became a “problem” once we started enforcing it more strictly. Before that time, something like 90% of all illegal immigration was cyclical, meaning workers would cross the border, do their work (mostly seasonal stuff), and then return home. Since we started enforcing more strictly, it became too cumbersome to go back and forth, so now almost all illegal immigration is permanent, the workers don’t return to Mexico. This also has the added burden of having entire families entering illegally and staying, whereas before the family would stay in Mexico since the worker would be coming back.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
They came on work visas for agg work in the beginning. Then they were "incoraged" to stay and do other work. They were used to undercut US wages in construction etc. It was bipartisan. Then democrats started eyeballing them as potential votes. Pre Trump no one really wanted to fix imagration. Trump pulled the curtain back. He even offered to make a DACA deal to go along with controlling the boarder.

The fear of the "new Trump Republican party" getting back into power is a positive. Establishment can't ignore that possibility. They can't continue under cutting Americans.

Multinational corporations and offshoring is another problem. They have bought US policy and have very little loyalty to the American worker.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I'm still not sure what Trump did or put in motion to "fix immigration". A quick review of the numbers at the link helps proves that.

I'm a huge fan of what Trump did with our trade deals and it appears the Biden administration is going to reverse those as well but hasn't yet. I'd be way more vocal about that than this imaginary "immigration win".

Those are the kind of things Trump did well. The immigration stuff is just empty promises that he never even came close to achieving. I don't understand why people are still trying to pretend otherwise.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 6:52 am They came on work visas for agg work in the beginning. Then they were "incoraged" to stay and do other work.
I’m talking about illegal immigration, not workers on visas. The data on this is pretty clear. When we tightened border security, the risk of crossing became too great for return trips, so the immigrants who would have just gone home stayed.

Here’s a good summary of the stats:

https://ordinary-times.com/2018/11/02/h ... ent-fails/
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Postman, He tried to compromise, secure the boarder and offer a bigger DACA deal than dems had ask for. Dems rejected it??

I'm in favor of "legal" imagration, that way no one gets used. If they come that way they will be successful quicker and love their new country more. And I hate to break it to dems, ecept for a few criminals, these are conservative leaning people.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 8:42 am
TH Spangler wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 6:52 am They came on work visas for agg work in the beginning. Then they were "incoraged" to stay and do other work.
I’m talking about illegal immigration, not workers on visas. The data on this is pretty clear. When we tightened border security, the risk of crossing became too great for return trips, so the immigrants who would have just gone home stayed.

In a post 911 world you can no longer let people come and go that way.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 8:53 am Postman, He tried to compromise, secure the boarder and offer a bigger DACA deal than dems had ask for. Dems rejected it??

I'm in favor of "legal" imagration, that way no one gets used. If they come that way they will be successful quicker and love their new country more. And I hate to break it to dems, ecept for a few criminals, these are conservative leaning people.
So then you agree, he didn't actual succeed in securing the border. :D
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 9:00 am
stokesjokes wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 8:42 am

In a post 911 world you can no longer let people come and go that way.
Yeah, not sure you can un-ring that bell. On the other hand, a terrorist attack has never been committed by anyone who entered the country illegally.

“ The hazard posed by foreigners who entered on different visa categories varies considerably. For instance, the chance of an American being murdered in a terrorist attack by a refugee is about 1 in 3.86 billion per year, while the annual chance of being murdered in an attack committed by an illegal immigrant is zero. By contrast, the chance of being murdered by a tourist on a B visa, the most common tourist visa, is about 1 in 4.1 million per year. Compared to foreign‐​born terrorists, the chance of being murdered by a native‐​born terrorist is about 1 in 28 million per year.”

https://www.cato.org/publications/polic ... -1975-2017
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 8:53 am I'm in favor of "legal" imagration, that way no one gets used. If they come that way they will be successful quicker and love their new country more.
This is an interesting point from that ordinary times article above. The illegal Mexican immigrants by and large still see themselves as migrants, aka Mexicans who will return to Mexico. From that point of view, why would they assimilate? If they were viewing themselves as permanent residents they would be much more inclined to assimilate.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 9:34 am
TH Spangler wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 8:53 am I'm in favor of "legal" imagration, that way no one gets used. If they come that way they will be successful quicker and love their new country more.
This is an interesting point from that ordinary times article above. The illegal Mexican immigrants by and large still see themselves as migrants, aka Mexicans who will return to Mexico. From that point of view, why would they assimilate? If they were viewing themselves as permanent residents they would be much more inclined to assimilate.
The people coming today are not from Mexico. They are from Honduras, Guatemala, Nicaragua, and El Salvador.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Mexico is obviously the largest country of origin for undocumented workers curreently residing in the US. Most of those folks have been here for decades or were born here. But to THS's point, the arrivals in the past few years have been primarily from Central America. In fact, AMLO has been pretty tough on attempting to restrict the flow along Mexico's southern borders.

Believe it or not, in spite of the narco violence the economy in Mexico has steadily improved to the point where most in Mexico see enough opportunity that they don't need to head north. You can thank or blame NAFTA depending on your perspective.
stokesjokes liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Sly think how much better off we would be today if we hadn't gotten greedy and opted for communist Chinese labor over democracies in Central and South American. Giant global corporations don't think that way.
Last edited by TH Spangler on March 23rd, 2021, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ATrain liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
There is little use looking toward the past. I admit that I would like to see us having better relations in the Americas. Right now even our northern neighbor isn't very pleased with us and I can't blame them.
Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]