This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By rtb72
lynchburgwildcats wrote: August 16th, 2021, 11:28 pm
Purple Haize wrote: August 16th, 2021, 8:44 pm
thepostman wrote: August 16th, 2021, 8:10 pm If it ain't broke?? What are you talking about?
How many combat deaths did we have in Afghanistan the last 2 years?
By every measure the Taliban was contained. Everyone was on board with the fact that the US would always have a residual 2-3000 person force there to bolster the Afghan Army and continue what had become a very successful mission. We had finally figured out what success looked like in Afghanistan and were prepared and willing to invest in it. Until The Biden Administration pulled this out of there butt
Trump was the one to initiate the plans to start the withdrawal, Biden just continued to carry it out. Though I’m going to assume parts of it changed along the way, not that I would be privy to what any of the “plan”
Was.

And if the USA needs to be in a never ending war in Afghanistan to prevent the Taliban from taking over, that’s not success. In less than a week, the Taliban went from having control of half the country to taking over the whole dang country with barely any resistance at all from the Afghan military that had been trained by the US for nearly 20 years. That’s a failure of the highest order.
Trump started the exit strategy, but DID NOT pull the trigger and conduct the withdrawal. Perhaps because he was listening to some of his military leaders that told him what would happen. Perhaps an ease in intervention was in process. I have no idea on "the plan" exactly. But I think he had sense enough (apparently) to yield and pause from something of this nature. Regardless, President Biden executed the withdrawal AGAINST what he was being told. He double downed by saying what happened would absolutely not happen. Just FYI....US military was not in a war in Afghanistan at the time. It was a support force to the Afghan military. Part of the reason the Taliban was able to move so quickly is because the Afghan forces depended on our advisors and air support. That was taken away without warning or notification....in the middle of the night! So yeah...I'd say the Taliban could have manipulated that advantage and moved their takeover more quickly.

Again, there is blame that can go around about some of the past issues in Afghanistan, but not the withdrawal "strategy". As for the training of native troops. That did not start at the commencement of the conflict. There were and are some very faithful and solid military personnel and operatives who wanted what was best for their country. Unfortunately, those who are still alive and in country will be tortured and killed once found. That is one of the greatest tragedies here.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Have a love one in the 82nd there. Praying for their safety. That all that matters now.

We get another chance to fix Washington in 2022 and 24.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
The images from Kabul yesterday are deeply troubling. And then this absurdist press conference. The so-called leader of the free world unable to articulate anything intelligible from the telepromter, other than to scapegoat the victim. And then we get this strange follow-up from an official State Spokesmen with perfect articulation, who calls for an inclusive government in Afghanistan. Can't make this stuff up. Didn't seem real. Played out like a comedy sketch. Yet, very troubling as a whole.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: August 16th, 2021, 12:38 pm
stokesjokes wrote: August 16th, 2021, 11:33 am I get a flu shot every year, I’ve had boosters of plenty of other vaccines, I’m not that worried about it. Hopefully it’s a placeholder until something better is developed. We got lucky that they had decades of research to build off to make this vaccine. It will take some time to identify and develop better therapeutics and I’m doubtful we’ll ever get to full-blown “cure.” We don’t really have those for other viruses either.

Also, you’ve gotta think bigger than Biden/Trump dichotomies here. This is a global pandemic. Everyone around the globe is throwing weight behind developing treatments and preventatives. Don’t get me wrong, I think Project Warp Speed helped us get large amounts of vaccines available to the American public quickly, but it’s not like they were even developed in America.
We have never developed a vaccine for HIV, yet a diagnosis with that disease has gone from being an absolute death sentence to something which is now deemed to be quite manageable.
Weird synchronicity:

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2021/08/mod ... cine-week/
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: August 17th, 2021, 8:52 am The images from Kabul yesterday are deeply troubling. And then this absurdist press conference. The so-called leader of the free world unable to articulate anything intelligible from the telepromter, other than to scapegoat the victim. And then we get this strange follow-up from an official State Spokesmen with perfect articulation, who calls for an inclusive government in Afghanistan. Can't make this stuff up. Didn't seem real. Played out like a comedy sketch. Yet, very troubling as a whole.
You end up with this kind of POTUS when a brainwashed, bought out media shields a senile old man in a basement and at the same time butchers a setting president with false accusation for 4 years while he's tiring to turn our country around.

I enjoy listening to Victor Davis Hanson

Victor Davis Hanson is a distinguished fellow of the Center for American Greatness and the Martin and Illie Anderson Senior Fellow at Stanford University’s Hoover Institution.

https://amgreatness.com/2021/08/15/are- ... n-know-it/

I do find some comfort knowing it matches Bible prophecy.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
It's an interesting question to consider: "Are we in the midst of a revolution and don't even know it?" A dozen or so years ago, you had to attend a university to get inundated with radical ideologies. But now, it starts day one with grade school and gets validated constantly with virtually every media message presented in the artificial smart phone world.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: August 17th, 2021, 10:58 am It's an interesting question to consider: "Are we in the midst of a revolution and don't even know it?" A dozen or so years ago, you had to attend a university to get inundated with radical ideologies. But now, it starts day one with grade school and gets validated constantly with virtually every media message presented in the artificial smart phone world.
Just your imagination :lol:
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: August 17th, 2021, 11:05 am The revolution will not be televised. It will be on TikTok :lol:
Your TikTok might come in handy for viewing the two witnesses.

And for three and a half days, all peoples, tribes, languages, and nations will stare at their bodies. No one will be allowed to bury them. All the people who belong to this world will gloat over them and give presents to each other to celebrate the death of the two prophets who had tormented them.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: August 17th, 2021, 11:05 am
paradox wrote: August 17th, 2021, 10:58 am It's an interesting question to consider: "Are we in the midst of a revolution and don't even know it?" A dozen or so years ago, you had to attend a university to get inundated with radical ideologies. But now, it starts day one with grade school and gets validated constantly with virtually every media message presented in the artificial smart phone world.
Just your imagination :lol:
Yeah, it seems surreal. The Hanson piece sheds a little light though. it's hard at times to identify the world we grew up in. It's weird. Growing up, I had a friend who had family in Greenwich Village. We'd find our way over there from time to time. Always enjoyed the conversations. But that place was hyper-idealistic. There was a radical position for everything. It was fun to repeat the ideologies and even almost believe them at times. Even bring it in conversation when we return to suburbia. But now, sadly, it's in suburbia. it's here, there, everywhere.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: August 17th, 2021, 11:41 am
stokesjokes wrote: August 17th, 2021, 11:05 am The revolution will not be televised. It will be on TikTok :lol:
Your TikTok might come in handy for viewing the two witnesses.
I can see it now, the two witnesses appearing on a TikTok duet
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
The Biden fiasco has forced us to finally face the music. Apparently, the hatred for Trump was so intense that some people were reduced to lying to themselves about Biden's character. The Biden they portrayed was a moderate, skillful, reasonable, judicious, thoughtful humanitarian. But in reality, only a negligent, callous, simpleton would be capable of this kind of dubious decision-making.
Purple Haize liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: August 17th, 2021, 1:41 pm The Biden fiasco has forced us to finally face the music. Apparently, the hatred for Trump was so intense that some people were reduced to lying to themselves about Biden's character. The Biden they portrayed was a moderate, skillful, reasonable, judicious, thoughtful humanitarian. But in reality, only a negligent, callous, simpleton would be capable of this kind of dubious decision-making.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/suprem ... t-n1237630

:cry:
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
From Mike Pence: "It's a foreign-policy humiliation unlike anything our country has endured since the Iran hostage crisis." Afghanistan is only in its infancy w/potential to be far worse.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: August 16th, 2021, 8:48 pm Obviously since I’m a pacifist, I don’t think we should have military forces in Afghanistan
Yeah, I'm probably an even bigger pacifist than you. But every humane pacifist must make exceptions. Many would draw the line with not standing by idly while the young and innocent are raped, enslaved and murdered. I think we can all get on board with that one. But for me, there are other humane exceptions as well, such as Nazis, Bolsheviks, Ted Bundy, Charles Manson, Marilyn Manson. And, also, Nine Inch Nails, Korn, and all adult Minecraft addicts. But other than that, I'd say that I'm pretty much against self-preservation in general.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Watched Biden's press conf. I don't think anyone told him theres trouble in Afghanistan. He didn't even address it.

Praying for our men and women. We all need to just pray.
Last edited by TH Spangler on August 18th, 2021, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
CIA warned him. He was even pressed on this. NYTimes & NBC among others are reporting this. It's mystifying that he defied their guidance in such a stubbornly misguided manner. Why?
NCAA Realignment Megathread

At what point in history was the ACC ever any bett[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

With all due respect, Atrain was in Dallas in his […]

LaTech

I also keep tab with JMU because there is a player[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]