This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Does he lean lefft? No doubt but my jab has always been people claiming that he is some kind of radical far left liberal. I've lived in the DC region for nearly a decade now and so by default am around a lot of pretty radical leftist. Biden just isn't it. I'm pretty thankful for that.
adam42381 liked this
By LU 57
paradox wrote: July 17th, 2021, 6:20 pm William Wilhelm III (changed to Bill DeBlasio to sound more ethnic) is a man of the left. As is NJ Governor Phil Murphy. My sense is that those guys really believe in all that utopian stuff.
Had no idea. Hysterical.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Remembering when Gov. Murphy arrested 15 for attending synagogue...Tucker's direct question to Murphy..."By what authority did you nullify the Bill of Rights in issuing this order?"
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Biden's official response as to whether Facebook and other social should be policing free speech for what authorities label "misinformation," "We gotta do it...they're killing people."
Purple Haize liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: July 19th, 2021, 9:13 am Biden's response as to whether Facebook should be limiting free speech for what authorities label "misinformation," "We gotta do it...they're killing people."
Facebook has every right to police what happens on their site, that doesn’t have anything to do with free speech; they’re a private company and freedom of speech is specifically about the government restricting speech. That being said, once the government is pressuring Facebook to do it, then you’re talking about the violating the bill of rights. Biden is absolutely wrong to make a statement like that. A better statement would be “I support the right of private companies to decide what kind of content gets published on their platform” and leave it at that.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote:Biden's official response as to whether Facebook and other social should be policing free speech for what authorities label "misinformation," "We gotta do it...they're killing people."
How can free speech exist on a private platform? Don't businesses have the right to police the content that they are hosting?

I'm confused. I thought conservatives supported businesses.

Now, for the record, Biden was 100% wrong to say "WE..." As my grandpa would say, "Who's 'we?' Do you have a turd in your pocket?"

He should have said "THEY..."

If I start a website, I hope I have the right to police the content I host and won't be forced by the government to host content against my will.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
The funny irony to me is that “fake news” was a conservative rallying point, but once the social media companies actually start trying to do something about “fake news,” conservatives don’t like it bc it turns out they’re the ones buying into it and spreading it the most.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: July 19th, 2021, 10:28 am The funny irony to me is that “fake news” was a conservative rallying point, but once the social media companies actually start trying to do something about “fake news,” conservatives don’t like it bc it turns out they’re the ones buying into it and spreading it the most.
You're 100% right. If I had a dime I've seen right-wing die hards complain about fact checking, I'd be rich. "You can't trust them, they voted democrat in the past."

I'm going to clue people into something, most people voted one way or another in the past. Does that mean that they can't be objective? Do you want someone who's never voted for anything?
lynchburgwildcats liked this
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote: July 19th, 2021, 10:12 am
paradox wrote:Biden's official response as to whether Facebook and other social should be policing free speech for what authorities label "misinformation," "We gotta do it...they're killing people."
How can free speech exist on a private platform? Don't businesses have the right to police the content that they are hosting?

I'm confused. I thought conservatives supported businesses.

Now, for the record, Biden was 100% wrong to say "WE..." As my grandpa would say, "Who's 'we?' Do you have a turd in your pocket?"

He should have said "THEY..."

If I start a website, I hope I have the right to police the content I host and won't be forced by the government to host content against my will.
Problem is the WE is the truth in this situation. His press secretary said they (the White House) were making sure that Facebook and the others were censoring what they deem to be misinformation.
Sounds like you are trying to run damage control for Biden.
Purple Haize liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: July 19th, 2021, 11:17 am How are guys coming up with this stuff based off what was presented? Talk about knee-jerk reactions.
A little zigging, a little zagging. Not in direct response, but related.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: July 19th, 2021, 10:06 am
paradox wrote: July 19th, 2021, 9:13 am Biden's response as to whether Facebook should be limiting free speech for what authorities label "misinformation," "We gotta do it...they're killing people."
Facebook has every right to police what happens on their site, that doesn’t have anything to do with free speech; they’re a private company and freedom of speech is specifically about the government restricting speech. That being said, once the government is pressuring Facebook to do it, then you’re talking about the violating the bill of rights. Biden is absolutely wrong to make a statement like that. A better statement would be “I support the right of private companies to decide what kind of content gets published on their platform” and leave it at that.
They are kind of a Public Private hybrid thing.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: July 19th, 2021, 5:57 pm
I think you could argue that for the internet itself, which has a lot of implications for how ISPs should be regulated, but it’s tougher to get there for the social media companies themselves. I’ve seen people try to make that jump, I just don’t see it.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Maybe they are suggesting that private companies be nationalized? Which, once again...seems counter to general conservative ideology.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
1st Joe Biden and his administration were wrong when they were telling Facebook how to run their private business. He could have easily just said he believed they were being irresponsible and left it at that. He didn't. He stepped back a big from that today but that is far too late in my opinion. Trying to regulate these companies in how they moderate speech is wrong. It was wrong when Trump said similar things when he was president but I was much more critical of him because he is suppose to be a conservative. That isn't conservativism. It is some kind of hybrid liberalism.

Just another example of how Trump and Biden aren't really that different.
Yacht Rock liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: July 19th, 2021, 6:17 pm
Purple Haize wrote: July 19th, 2021, 5:57 pm

I think you could argue that for the internet itself, which has a lot of implications for how ISPs should be regulated, but it’s tougher to get there for the social media companies themselves. I’ve seen people try to make that jump, I just don’t see it.
Again, the argument is whether or not FB is the Public Square or a Private concern. Is it a Publisher? Or a Podium. In my mind when you have the Feds openly saying they are handing posts to FB to take down that don’t pose a threat to National Security you’ve got an issue.
As always I’m a fan of addition not subtraction. FB should let people have their say. Others come up with a better argument. But as it stands …. It’s kinda Orwellian. Which is not a thing I say often
LU 57, rtb72 liked this
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: July 19th, 2021, 7:23 pm 1st Joe Biden and his administration were wrong when they were telling Facebook how to run their private business. He could have easily just said he believed they were being irresponsible and left it at that. He didn't. He stepped back a big from that today but that is far too late in my opinion. Trying to regulate these companies in how they moderate speech is wrong. It was wrong when Trump said similar things when he was president but I was much more critical of him because he is suppose to be a conservative. That isn't conservativism. It is some kind of hybrid liberalism.

Just another example of how Trump and Biden aren't really that different.
I 100% agree with this. I'd rather have a private entity regulate speech on the platform they own than the government regulate the speech of a private entity. Even if it is a private entity that a lot of the public uses.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Another interesting angle here is the vaccine itself. Harris and Cuomo publicly voiced passionate skepticism as to whether a Trump administration vaccine could be trusted. Now, of course, the mere liberty to voice skepticism about the vax somehow makes you complicit in C19 deaths.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: July 19th, 2021, 8:41 pm Another interesting angle here is the vaccine itself. Harris and Cuomo publicly voiced passionate skepticism as to whether a Trump administration vaccine could be trusted. Now, of course, the mere liberty to voice skepticism about the vax somehow makes you complicit in C19 deaths.
Yes, but the other side is just as interesting. "Operation Warp Speed" was Trump's thing. Shouldn't all the MAGA folk be the first in line to get the vaccine?
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Live and let live. Herd immunity is what GOP was after. Some would say we're already there. So, keep moving forward. Deal with the hypocrisy at hand.
Purple Haize liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: July 19th, 2021, 10:58 pm
paradox wrote: July 19th, 2021, 8:41 pm Another interesting angle here is the vaccine itself. Harris and Cuomo publicly voiced passionate skepticism as to whether a Trump administration vaccine could be trusted. Now, of course, the mere liberty to voice skepticism about the vax somehow makes you complicit in C19 deaths.
Yes, but the other side is just as interesting. "Operation Warp Speed" was Trump's thing. Shouldn't all the MAGA folk be the first in line to get the vaccine?
No. But they also shouldn’t be denigrating it either.
Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Were not done https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/s[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]