This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 7:19 pm
You really gonna fall for the same type of pettiness the left leveled at Trump?
My wife saw the video on FB and forwarded it to me.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
He is a practicing catholic. I don't get that concern at all.

With that said, you know better than that. Or at least I thought you did. The church has endured a lot over the years and will continue to do so.
By Jonathan Carone
Cider Jim wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 8:10 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 7:19 pm
You really gonna fall for the same type of pettiness the left leveled at Trump?
My wife saw the video on FB and forwarded it to me.
Example A of the reason we are where we are in our country.

The right: “Someone on Facebook shared it.”

The left: “I saw it on Twitter.”

The algorithms are winning.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 8:12 pm He is a practicing catholic. I don't get that concern at all.

With that said, you know better than that. Or at least I thought you did. The church has endured a lot over the years and will continue to do so.
Okay persauder in chief 😄. You do remember he had a law suit against them until Trump took over.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I have no idea what you're talking and I'm not trying to persuade you to change your opinion on Biden. I was challenging the notion that somehow Joe Biden is so powerful that he could somehow damage the church.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 8:23 pm I have no idea what you're talking and I'm not trying to persuade you to change your opinion on Biden. I was challenging the notion that somehow Joe Biden is so powerful that he could somehow damage the church.
Whether you agree with them or not they shouldn't be forced into something that violates their faith.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/scotus ... n-coverage
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 5:12 pm
Class of 20Something wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 2:20 pm
stokesjokes wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 10:00 am There was a RadioLab episode this week about the impact of injecting stimulus money into the economy- the conventional wisdom is that “printing money” just causes inflation to equally rise and doesn’t really fix the problem. Apparently during the Obama-era bailouts, they found this to not be true, injecting money into the economy didn’t change the inflation rate at all.

The currently accepted explanation is that “printing money” only devalues the currency depending on what it’s spent on. For example, if everyone who gets a $1000 check goes out and buys a TV, TVs get more expensive, simple supply and demand stuff. However, if that money is just going to pay for debt, rent, utilities, etc., it doesn’t have an impact on the price of goods, and subsequently no inflation.

And since we have a fiat system and we’re just making up money, we’re not even borrowing it from anywhere, so it’s not a national debt burden either.

Interesting ideas related to possible additional stimulus checks.
Of course if you pretend that it never needs to get paid back then it all makes sense. Everything seems like a great idea if there aren't consequences.
I'm old so I don't have to pretend, you guys can pay it back after I'm gone. :lol:
That’s their premise though- you don’t have to pay it back. It’s not a loan from anyone. It’s someone at the fed changing some numbers in a spreadsheet. With Fiat currency, the govt just decides how many dollars are out there. The concern with doing it is inflation and devaluing the dollar. Apparently that doesn’t necessarily happen, depending on circumstance.
By Jonathan Carone
Five days in and conservatives are negatively judging Biden’s faith while the NYT is claiming he’s the most religious president in 50 years totally forgetting they eviscerated W for being too religious.

Jesus only matters in politics if he fits your agenda.
ATrain, alabama24 liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Yeah it is so bizarre. I remember people complaining W was too religious and then earlier this week the press secretary is asked if Joe had picked a parish yet.

Then of course the past 4 years we have been told the Donald is the most pro-Christian POTUS ever by the evangelical right. So what can you do? Hypebole lives on.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 24th, 2021, 10:20 am Yeah it is so bizarre. I remember people complaining W was too religious and then earlier this week the press secretary is asked if Joe had picked a parish yet.

Then of course the past 4 years we have been told the Donald is the most pro-Christian POTUS ever by the evangelical right. So what can you do? Hypebole lives on.
I never cared if Trump (or any President) was a Bible thumping Evangelical. I just want them not to be antagonistic to Christian values. IMO, Biden is and Trump was not.
Kricket, jinxy liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Depends on what Christian values we are talking about but that has been argued ad nauseam on here for 5 years and I'm kind of done going down that road.
alabama24 liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
I can't believe I'm seeing some on this board saying Biden is a practicing Catholic.

It seems far fetched to me you can be any type of practicing Christian at all and not know how to say Psalms.

Inevitably there will respond with something about Trump. I wouldn't call him a practicing Christian either.

Both very well could be Christians, but it's hard to say either of them are doing much practicing.
TH Spangler, LU 57, jinxy liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I agree neither one are practicing. Remember Trump saying “Two Corinthians” @LU during his first campaign?

It seems to me another case of grasping At straws to fit a narrative. “He’s a dem, and I disagree with some policies, but he’s practicing in his faith.” Really?!
Kricket liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I mean he is more of a practicing Catholic than a lot of Catholics but I can certinaly understand why some catholics would be bothered by that assertion. I'll be honest, I'm pretty ignorant on what a good practicing catholic looks like. Biden goes to weekly mass, that alone makes him more of a practicing catholic than a lot of American catholics I've known over the years.
By Jonathan Carone
thepostman wrote: January 25th, 2021, 7:45 am Biden goes to weekly mass, that alone makes him more of a practicing catholic than a lot of American catholics I've known over the years.
I got eviscerated for questioning if a university president was faking Christianity in part because of his lack of church attendance but because it’s politics, it’s completely acceptable to say someone is faking it despite being a regular attender.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: January 25th, 2021, 7:39 am I agree neither one are practicing. Remember Trump saying “Two Corinthians” @LU during his first campaign?

It seems to me another case of grasping At straws to fit a narrative. “He’s a dem, and I disagree with some policies, but he’s practicing in his faith.” Really?!
I decided to give “Two Corinthians” some slack after I heard NT Wright say it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: January 25th, 2021, 8:25 am
JK37 wrote: January 25th, 2021, 7:39 am I agree neither one are practicing. Remember Trump saying “Two Corinthians” @LU during his first campaign?

I decided to give “Two Corinthians” some slack after I heard NT Wright say it.
I was surprised when people got all hot and bothered by Two Corinthians. I have heard it my entire life. Not as the primary pronunciation but enough where I thought the hubbub was about the chapter and verse!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 25th, 2021, 8:17 am
thepostman wrote: January 25th, 2021, 7:45 am Biden goes to weekly mass, that alone makes him more of a practicing catholic than a lot of American catholics I've known over the years.
I got eviscerated for questioning if a university president was faking Christianity in part because of his lack of church attendance but because it’s politics, it’s completely acceptable to say someone is faking it despite being a regular attender.
If this was a Theocracy then you’d have a point. But it’s not. But you do make a good point. If the guy claims to be a Catholic and attends weekly mass etc who are we to judge. I’m not going to judge his Presidency by his Mass Attendance.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, his administration shouldn't be judged on how good of a catholic he is. No argument there. It was brought up because there seems to be this unfounded belief that the Biden administration will come after religion even though he is fairly religious himself.
Jonathan Carone, JK37 liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
I feel like this post combines multiple thoughts and multiple people into one argument. I'm not really sure if it's referencing a specific person or just a post to make yourself feel better about past conversations. There's nothing wrong with either, just trying to judge if it's pointed at me.
By Jonathan Carone
Kricket wrote: January 25th, 2021, 9:24 am
I feel like this post combines multiple thoughts and multiple people into one argument. I'm not really sure if it's referencing a specific person or just a post to make yourself feel better about past conversations. There's nothing wrong with either, just trying to judge if it's pointed at me.
Not pointed at any one person in particular but more about how we change our definitions of how we judge someone's religion based on if we agree with their politics.

I think it's okay to judge someone's religion based on the fruit they bear - as long as you're consistent with those judgments. I refuse - on either side - to let someone's politics be the determining factor of if I believe they are living the faith they claim. I've seen too many people who honestly and authentically love Jesus fall on each side of the political aisle to let that be my litmus test. Well meaning Christians can read the Bible and believe Jesus teaches us to to treat people a certain way and then disagree how we apply that to politics and government.

I'm good disagreeing on a lot of things - anything really - as long as you (in general, not Kricket) apply the same logic across all your arguments. Hypocrisy is one of my pet peeves. I recognize I'm guilty of it more often than I'd like and it's something I actively try to work on.
Kricket liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Hard part for me is where politics and faith-in-practice blur. It’s not easy to keep both compartmentalized. Moral/social issues come to mind. Things like treatment of refugees, immigration law, taxes, abortion, gay rights. I struggle myself not just in judging political leaders but in my personal life. It’s not so easy to take a stance as just a political one when the Bible has things to say on such matters.
By Jonathan Carone
The Bible talks about how we apply God's law to ourselves and how he judges others. It does not talk about how the Romans should apply their tax laws or marriage rights within their government. There's a freedom to choose there.

I believe homosexuality is a sin and God's design for marriage was between one man and one woman for one life. That's what my religious beliefs tell me. But, as an American, based on the Constitution, I believe I can't apply my religious beliefs across the board for all Americans. There are those of other faiths (or not faith at all) that I'm required to respect and see as equals. As long as the government doesn't require ministers of a religious faith to perform weddings they disagree with religiously, I believe homosexual couples are afforded the same governmental rights as I have as a straight person.

The Bible doesn't say if we should have no taxes or a lot of taxes. The Kingdom of God is so much bigger than a political or governmental kingdom that Jesus wasn't concerned with those details. Because of that, we have the ability as Christians to determine how we think our tax dollars should be spent. As long as we're personally taking care of the poor and widows and following Jesus' teaching on living generously, we can disagree on how we think the government should tax us.

The disagreement is in the application of the theology. Some believe it's on the individual and government should stay out of it. Others believe the best way to apply the theology is through government.

Now - when it gets into the side of celebrating things that are against God's design and glorifying those things - that's wrong across the board. I can believe systemic racism is a problem while acknowledging many of the core tenets of Critical Race Theory are ungodly and anti-Christ. I can think gay marriage should be legal in the United States while not celebrating it or acknowledging it's part of God's design. It's rarely ever as black and white or as simple as we want to make it.
By Jonathan Carone
Justin Giboney of the AND Campaign wrote a great article on how Biden is going to receive pressure from the far left and could miss the true mandate from voters:

What is President Joe Biden’s mandate after handling the COVID-19 crisis? First and foremost, after the corruption and utter disorder of the Trump administration, the American people have mandated that Biden restore the integrity and reputation of the presidency at home and abroad. Next, last year’s civil unrest, requires Biden to promote justice by working against government abuses of authority like police brutality without defunding the police. The populist outcry means that he’s also been elected to correct the economic, educational, and health disparities, along race and class lines, that have stifled the American Dream for too many.

These tasks are more than enough to keep even the most competent and efficient administration busy. But Biden will be pressured, by well-funded activists and their elite donors, to deliver their desperately craved culture war wins. He’ll be prodded to focus on esoteric and premature policy prescriptions that have yet to undergo thorough public debate and scrutiny. The Democratic Party has, in large part, become captured by causes that are trending among celebrities and academics, but do nothing to address our country’s greatest issues. Biden will be tempted to spend political capital pursuing policies that have garnered little support outside of bourgeois progressive circles, policies that were not pivotal factors in shaping his electoral win and are not critical elements of his mandate.
Full Article
stokesjokes liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]