This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Its the movie thread returning for another year
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
I’m looking forward to A Quiet Place 2. And then maybe Top Gun?? Just not too sure what to think about that. Not necessarily a movie but anything Star Wars on Disney+. The Mandalorian was incredible.
Biloro liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
There is no question that the pandemic has taken the lustre off of the cinematic experience. Most theaters are on either life support or have already closed up shop.

My question is have we seen the transition occur from big theatrical releases to the longer form streaming phenomenon into homes?

Obviously we have now been conditioned to expect content in different ways than we ever have been in the past. I am just curious to see how others feel they find themselves on the cinema to home theater scale.

The lack of content as a result of lockdowns is going to make for a frustrating 2021 at the box office even with shelved titles like Top Gun.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:There is no question that the pandemic has taken the lustre off of the cinematic experience. Most theaters are on either life support or have already closed up shop.

My question is have we seen the transition occur from big theatrical releases to the longer form streaming phenomenon into homes?

Obviously we have now been conditioned to expect content in different ways than we ever have been in the past. I am just curious to see how others feel they find themselves on the cinema to home theater scale.

The lack of content as a result of lockdowns is going to make for a frustrating 2021 at the box office even with shelved titles like Top Gun.
I made my bones in business in the cinema industry. They've been in for a reckoning due to the changing landscape for years and COVID has only accelerated it.

That being said, I'm a huge fan of a good cinema experience. I've been lucky enough to travel around the world to some of the best cinemas that exist. It's a passion of mine. I don't think it will go away, but it won't look the same.

I believe that tentpole films/blockbusters will always find a home on available big screens.

What will change is the number of showtimes available to smaller films.

The number of available screens will go down. The need for a 20 screen theater isn't going to be necessary in most towns aside from the opening weekend of an Avengers Endgame type event. What happens to that extra space?

One good thing has been the transition to digital projection in a majority of theatrical cinema venues. This allows greater flexibility in how a screen is being utilized and it makes it easier to have a one-off showing of a smaller film when needed.

Whichever exhibitors come through the other side of this will have to consider the changing model.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Anything A24 does
The French Dispatch
Dune
A Quiet Place 2

Couldn’t tell you anything else off the top of my head. If it’s not a major movie that’s in the headlines a lot then I don’t generally become aware of it until around release time though.
By rtb72
Just wanted to insert this. My wife and I watched a movie called 'Safety' on Disney+. Not sure when it was made, but i had not seen or heard of it. Great story and sports movie about the kid from Clemson who essentially raised his little brother while going to school full time. The movie really shined a positive light on Clemson during that time. I had heard about the story, but didn't know they had made a movie. Great movie in my opinion.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote: January 9th, 2021, 11:58 am Just wanted to insert this. My wife and I watched a movie called 'Safety' on Disney+. Not sure when it was made, but i had not seen or heard of it. Great story and sports movie about the kid from Clemson who essentially raised his little brother while going to school full time. The movie really shined a positive light on Clemson during that time. I had heard about the story, but didn't know they had made a movie. Great movie in my opinion.
It was a big deal. Changed an NCAA rule and allowed a waiver!
rtb72 liked this
By Biloro
aredd33 wrote: January 6th, 2021, 7:15 pm I’m looking forward to A Quiet Place 2. And then maybe Top Gun?? Just not too sure what to think about that. Not necessarily a movie but anything Star Wars on Disney+. The Mandalorian was incredible.
Yes, Top Gun is the one that I really want to see. When is it coming out in the cinemas?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
For the record, if you have younger kids I would highly recommend Flora & Ulysses on Disney+. My daughter and I laughed out loud numerous times abd that doesn't happen when we watch movies together very often.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]