This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 12:05 pm
thepostman wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 11:55 am
Tnobes wrote: Really? Fact check.org? If a fact checker days it's true you can be sure it's false and the defamation league and southern poverty law center are both hate organizations themselves. As far as white supremacists go, more people believe elvis is still alive, Charlottesville proved white supremacy is dead, they held a national rally and got less than 500 people to attend, you'd get more people in your backyard if you said you saw bigfoot
Ok, so can you give me a list of acceptable list of sources? They specifically quote justice department statistics that are linked.

Factcheck.org is a non partisan organization that goes out of their way to be fair in their analysis which often brings criticism from those on the left and the right.
Tnobes wrote:
I don't draw lines, the Bible does. To be a Christian, it helps to believe what Jesus taught, if you read a publication and it's telling you things that are the opposite of Christianity, it disqualifies itself, I'm not disqualifng it
As far as refugees go, here is a really good write up from world vision. One of the leading Christian organizations on this topic. They have also included a ton of scripture.

https://www.worldvision.org/refugees-ne ... t-refugees
Did you just say fact-check .org is “non partisan “? Ok.....
You can disagree all you want but the fact the right and the left have gotten their feathers ruffled by things they have put out kind of says they are closer to non partisan than not. Regardless there is a ton of data included in that link but clearly nobody is interested in that around these parts.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Tnobes wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 11:54 am
stokesjokes wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 11:43 am Man, you are so obsessed about drawing lines about who is “in” and who is “out.” It seems like anyone who doesn’t ascribe to your strict fundamentalism is some kind of apostate or heretic. This is the worst kind of divisive, schismatic, antagonistic version of Christianity.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... rsion=NKJV
Hey look, I can cherry pick scripture to support my side too!

Titus 3:9-11
But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless. As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him, knowing that such a person is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Tnobes wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 11:30 am There is no "white nationalist" movement, it doesn't exist, there are American people who want Christian American values again
This poster is the poster child of who the article by French was describing, perhaps to the nth degree. I don't want to describe his view as conservative because I think conservatism is a righteous and noble cause and his, IMO, is extremism.
phoenix liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 12:27 pm
Purple Haize wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 12:05 pm
thepostman wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 11:55 am

Ok, so can you give me a list of acceptable list of sources? They specifically quote justice department statistics that are linked.

Factcheck.org is a non partisan organization that goes out of their way to be fair in their analysis which often brings criticism from those on the left and the right.

As far as refugees go, here is a really good write up from world vision. One of the leading Christian organizations on this topic. They have also included a ton of scripture.

https://www.worldvision.org/refugees-ne ... t-refugees
Did you just say fact-check .org is “non partisan “? Ok.....
You can disagree all you want but the fact the right and the left have gotten their feathers ruffled by things they have put out kind of says they are closer to non partisan than not. Regardless there is a ton of data included in that link but clearly nobody is interested in that around these parts.
I guess that I would be the guilty one as far as questioning the data. It's always good to know what's behind the data. That actually matters even more. If this were a business or engineering meeting, you wouldn't be able to get your project past senior management without putting everything down on the table. There are issues that stand out immediately for me.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I question data too but my main focus was the data from the justice department. I guess I should've just linked that but I thought the entire writeup was well done and written well and provided a ton of sourced material.

The world vision piece was even more well done and discussed the very topic this thread is about and what God call us to do as Christians in regards to refugees. Whether the government supports it or not.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 1:37 pm Quarrels about the law?
Religious law in this case. This is a separate aside from our discussion about refugee resettlement. This has to do with Tnobes’ habit of declaring people and things to be unchristian when they don’t align with his specific version of Christianity.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 1:55 pm I question data too but my main focus was the data from the justice department. I guess I should've just linked that but I thought the entire writeup was well done and written well and provided a ton of sourced material.

The world vision piece was even more well done and discussed the very topic this thread is about and what God call us to do as Christians in regards to refugees. Whether the government supports it or not.

Yeah, when you said data, I thought you were referring to the American Baptist study. The World Vision piece is solid.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Tnobes wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 12:12 pm
alabama24 wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 11:59 am
Tnobes wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 11:44 am Charlottesville proved white supremacy is dead, they held a national rally and got less than 500 people to attend
Which is it? There isn't a "White Nationalist" movement OR "less than 500 people" showed up? If there wasn't a "white nationalist" movement, there wouldn't have been a rally.
Less than 500 people means there is no movement, you realize that there are hundreds of million of people in the united states. 500 people means it doesn't exist
So 20 people who hijack four planes and take down the twin towers isn’t a movement. Got it. :oops:
By Jonathan Carone
paradox wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 2:07 pm Different people are going to draw different conclusions. There's no one size fits all. The only thing non-negotiable would be the Gospel.
First off - I agree with this statement 100%.

With that said, wouldn’t you agree people saying Democrats can’t be Christians or people who have center to left of center views on some things aren’t real Christians is a major issue (major meaning importance, not scale)?

I disagree with many on here on taxes and the role of government but I’m not going to say those on the other side aren’t Christians. If Matthew and Simon can both follow Jesus together, surely the rest of us can disagree on politics and follow Jesus together.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 11:43 am Man, you are so obsessed about drawing lines about who is “in” and who is “out.” It seems like anyone who doesn’t ascribe to your strict fundamentalism is some kind of apostate or heretic. This is the worst kind of divisive, schismatic, antagonistic version of Christianity.
"You don’t sense hard edges, dogmatism or self-righteous judgment from gracious people. There’s a tenderness about them that opens doors that had previously been bolted shut. People who have been transformed by grace have a special place in their hearts for those living in the shadows of society. They’re easily moved by stories of suffering and step into the breach to heal. And grace properly understood always produces gratitude."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/23/opin ... anity.html
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 5:18 pm
paradox wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 2:07 pm Different people are going to draw different conclusions. There's no one size fits all. The only thing non-negotiable would be the Gospel.
First off - I agree with this statement 100%.

With that said, wouldn’t you agree people saying Democrats can’t be Christians or people who have center to left of center views on some things aren’t real Christians is a major issue (major meaning importance, not scale)?

I disagree with many on here on taxes and the role of government but I’m not going to say those on the other side aren’t Christians. If Matthew and Simon can both follow Jesus together, surely the rest of us can disagree on politics and follow Jesus together.
Sure. That would be a serious issue. Unfortunately, there are far too many red herrings out there, diverting our attention from the real thing. It's easy to get lost.
By LUDad
Curious, would the compassionate left or the incoming administration be willing to open the borders for a flood of persecuted Hong Hong refugees? We're talking 100's of thousands, if not millions.
ATrain liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote: December 25th, 2020, 8:40 pm Curious, would the compassionate left or the incoming administration be willing to open the borders for a flood of persecuted Hong Hong refugees? We're talking 100's of thousands, if not millions.
Considering how they've tightened the reigns on Cuban refugees, probably not. Probably wouldn't consider Uighur refugees either.
By Jonathan Carone
I am by no means the left, but I’d be all for allowing Hong Kong refugees at reasonable limits. I don’t think we could support hundreds of thousands of them, but we should absolutely be welcoming to as many as we can support.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote: December 25th, 2020, 8:40 pm Curious, would the compassionate left or the incoming administration be willing to open the borders for a flood of persecuted Hong Hong refugees? We're talking 100's of thousands, if not millions.
No, they are addicted to communist Chinese money under the table and that wouldn't go over well.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: December 26th, 2020, 1:11 pm I am by no means the left, but I’d be all for allowing Hong Kong refugees at reasonable limits. I don’t think we could support hundreds of thousands of them, but we should absolutely be welcoming to as many as we can support.
Did Jesus say there should be limits? In for a Pint in for a Pound.
By Jonathan Carone
Purple Haize wrote: December 26th, 2020, 1:14 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: December 26th, 2020, 1:11 pm I am by no means the left, but I’d be all for allowing Hong Kong refugees at reasonable limits. I don’t think we could support hundreds of thousands of them, but we should absolutely be welcoming to as many as we can support.
Did Jesus say there should be limits? In for a Pint in for a Pound.
He also didn’t say how to apply our religious beliefs to government. I’ve said that all along.

My personal belief is a combination of government help for refugees and Christian responsibility to contribute (time, talent, treasure) towards the issue as well.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Unfortunately there aren’t many big names in the athletic world whose convictions are strong enough to sacrifice their paycheck.

Say what you want about whether you agree with Kaepernick, but at least he was willing to walk away in service of his ideals. LeBron et al protecting China because of the NBA’s brand over there says a lot about their ideals.

I think something has to give here. You can’t grandstand about a $15 minimum wage at home while allowing business with companies that profit off of slave labor abroad.
TH Spangler liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
He has discovered now that "sacrificing" can be extremely lucrative, but let's not forget that the whole thing started because he was trying to impress a sjw hottie. I guess it worked, because apparently they are still "together".
Purple Haize liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: February 16th, 2021, 12:48 pm He has discovered now that "sacrificing" can be extremely lucrative, but let's not forget that the whole thing started because he was trying to impress a sjw hottie. I guess it worked, because apparently they are still "together".
"Kaepernick, the 49ers quarterback-turned-social justice activist, asked Nike to pass on a Fourth of July sneaker because of its objectionable symbolism."

But he's okay with slave labor? :dontgetit
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]