This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By puttincomputers
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: I don’t know how much you were around Liberty 4 years ago, but the push to vote was huge, spearheaded by Jr. This time around it didn’t really happen, I think the administration has had too many other things to worry about.

For instance: my wife said at the beginning of the semester they went through a rundown about how they were supposed to go over voter registration with the students in their classes, but they never ended up giving them the materials or hearing anything further about it when the time came.
I was at LU during that time. I graduated in the summer of 2016 but continued to work in my position (actually moved to full time) until the fall term and students came to fill out the roster (which I knew ahead of time). I won't go into too many details about my position or what I did because it would easily allow people to figure out exactly who I am. I am actually quite vocal on social media. I will say this though, I have more knowledge about LU than most people on the board due to the nature of my position. It was also due to the nature of position that I forsook the Republican party, never voted for sketch Hillary though.

I actually find it very disappointing that the current administration apparently fell flat on the job of giving information of voter registration. Even though disagreed with Jerry on many things, I actually agreed with him on the importance of voting. I don't care if you agree with my version of Christianity or my worldview, you need to vote. It would be very sad if fundamentalist Baptists returned to the non-voting position they had before Jerry Sr came along with the Moral Majority. At least the fundie Baptists are engaged with society now. I hope we can learn things from each other about how the world operates. We all have blind spots that should be changed. That's actually why I am on this board, perhaps there are things I need to learn. I wish my former church (will not identify it because it will reveal who I am) would take that to heart. Much like the Baptists of old, my former denomination believed all non-"denomination" and politicians were evil and they believed that God would put into power whoever was supposed to be in power. It was a very fatalistic fearmongering worldview. Liberty was actually my first stop when I left my former cult. At the time I thought LU was a moderate institution! My old church though LU was extremely liberal! LOL! LU provided an avenue to spiritual and general wellness that I am grateful for.
stokesjokes liked this
By puttincomputers
Registration Days Posts
Say! Did anyone see the awesome news out of Utah! The voters removed slavery and involuntary servitude from being options for punishments from their constitution. If Utah can do it, the rest of the US can do it. Whose up for another constitutional amendment banning slavery once and for all. (If you don't know what I am talking about, look up US Constitution Amendment 13.)
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
puttincomputers wrote: November 5th, 2020, 7:29 pm Say! Did anyone see the awesome news out of Utah! The voters removed slavery and involuntary servitude from being options for punishments from their constitution. If Utah can do it, the rest of the US can do it. Whose up for another constitutional amendment banning slavery once and for all. (If you don't know what I am talking about, look up US Constitution Amendment 13.)
And amazingly something like 30+% of people (if I remember correctly, I admit I could be wrong) voted to approve slavery and indentured servitude.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
puttincomputers wrote: November 5th, 2020, 7:29 pm Say! Did anyone see the awesome news out of Utah! The voters removed slavery and involuntary servitude from being options for punishments from their constitution. If Utah can do it, the rest of the US can do it. Whose up for another constitutional amendment banning slavery once and for all. (If you don't know what I am talking about, look up US Constitution Amendment 13.)
Why ban something that’s already illegal? Gotta love leftist logic :lol:
By puttincomputers
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:
Why ban something that’s already illegal? Gotta love leftist logic :lol:
The 13th amendment of the US constitution expressly permits slavery and involuntary servitude as a form of punishment. Are you saying it is "leftist" to want to ban slavery as a form of punishment? I sincerely hope that is not what you are saying!
stokesjokes liked this
By puttincomputers
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote: And amazingly something like 30+% of people (if I remember correctly, I admit I could be wrong) voted to approve slavery and indentured servitude.
I'm not actually surprised by that. It was actually 19.35%
lynchburgwildcats liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: November 5th, 2020, 2:58 pm
paradox wrote: November 5th, 2020, 2:02 pm Does it really matter anymore if the media calls the election? Someone will have to concede. If AZ goes to Trump, then the focus is going to be squarely on the corruption in Philly. It's about to get real ugly.
Why are we assuming corruption in Philly?
I dunno. Maybe because people in Philly have for years ?

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2012/11/ ... ladelphia/
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: November 5th, 2020, 4:24 pm They halted the count earlier there and now there are Trump campaign officials watching so it has resumed. If there is corruption, it would be pretty hard to cover up at this point.
See Point #1 of my summary from earlier. It’s about where the votes came from
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
If you guys are bored feel free to read this Twitter thread. There are a lot of weird stories out there that have been quickly debunked. This does a good job at covering those and provides sources as well. If you take the time to read though it all and follow down all the rabbit trails it will take you a while but is well worth it to get some clarity.

And look guys, I know some of you all are ride and die Trump guys and sometimes I wonder why I keep responding to you all because it is not like I'm going to change your mind. I just hope I can as least provide a different perspective.

I do want things done legally. It seems like that is happening overall. If it is proven by the courts that they weren't, then throw votes out. But we have processes. Let's do things right instead of trying to make a complete mockery of our entire system.

With that, I leave you with some humor

By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: November 5th, 2020, 10:58 pm
thepostman wrote: November 5th, 2020, 4:24 pm They halted the count earlier there and now there are Trump campaign officials watching so it has resumed. If there is corruption, it would be pretty hard to cover up at this point.
See Point #1 of my summary from earlier. It’s about where the votes came from
I mean, it’s not like it’s just stacks of unmarked ballots. These are all postmarked and signed by the voters, which is then matched against signatures on record for those people. This process is also watched by representatives from both parties. Even in the PA lawsuit that @thepostman mentioned, the representatives were already there, they just wanted to be allowed to be closer.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I believe I predicted Nancy would start claiming a Mandate Fron The American People

By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
That sounded like a fun phone call :shock:

Spanberger is right, the Dems would have been demolished by a normal candidate. One of the stats I’ve seen is that, at least in GA, one of the things hurting Trump was a big chunk of moderates moving away from him. I don’t see moderates moving towards the Dems if they keep drifting left like Nancy wants.
By puttincomputers
Registration Days Posts
I hope Pelosi is tossed from the speaker role. The dem's need new leadership. (No, I am not a Dem. I only voted for Biden because my preferred party didn't get on my state's ballot. My official state changed from 2016. In 2016, I voted third party.)
lynchburgwildcats liked this
By Jonathan Carone
stokesjokes wrote: November 6th, 2020, 12:05 am That sounded like a fun phone call :shock:

Spanberger is right, the Dems would have been demolished by a normal candidate. One of the stats I’ve seen is that, at least in GA, one of the things hurting Trump was a big chunk of moderates moving away from him. I don’t see moderates moving towards the Dems if they keep drifting left like Nancy wants.
After 2016, Pod Save America did a podcast called The Wilderness where they examined everything that went wrong for the Democratic Party in 2016 and where to go in 2020. One of the theories was there were enough women and minorities in the country that they could run a very progressive campaign and not have to worry about traditional white moderates as long as the women and minorities voted.

Meanwhile the Republican Party ran a campaign that went further and further right, leaving those moderates as well.

I’m highly intrigued to see if anyone will come back to the middle in 2024 or if it’ll be a continued race to the edges.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
@Jonathan Carone

So if left runs further left, and right runs further right...left wins? I’m just trying to understand.

There just aren’t that many “undecideds” anymore, are there?
By Jonathan Carone
JK37 wrote: November 6th, 2020, 7:02 am @Jonathan Carone

So if left runs further left, and right runs further right...left wins? I’m just trying to understand.

There just aren’t that many “undecideds” anymore, are there?
Their theory - and it was just one of a bunch and many disagreed with it - was that if the left could motivate the women and minorities to actually vote, they would win because there’s more of them then there are white conservatives.

The popular vote is playing that out from a total number standpoint, but they haven’t been able to get the numbers right in states that really matter.

Georgia just sent slightly Biden, and PA is closing, so maybe they end up being right? I think it’s a bad strategy long term.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
If we look strictly at changing demographics, the assumption is that the country is moving further left. However, it remains to be seen if that would hold true. It will be interesting to see what the exit polling reveals this time. We know in FL that the Hispanic vote went more Red than it has before, for instance.

Also, I think the lack of undecideds this year is an aberration. It’s hard to be undecided about Trump, love him or hate him.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
@Jonathan Carone based on the fact the Republicans just gained over 10 seats in the House when they were supposed to lose around 15. And the fact they held the senate when they were supposed to lose....I’d say the Democrats were off in their judgement. Popular vote this time is even more of a red herring because a solid portion of people voted for Biden then split their ticket.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Jonathan Carone
I agree that theory was wrong. I think they need to come back to the middle. There are tons of fiscally liberal but more socially moderate people in the Midwest that are totally alienated by this run to the left socially.

And again, that was just one theory from some strategists. That entire podcast is fascinating.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: November 6th, 2020, 8:14 am @Jonathan Carone based on the fact the Republicans just gained over 10 seats in the House when they were supposed to lose around 15. And the fact they held the senate when they were supposed to lose....I’d say the Democrats were off in their judgement. Popular vote this time is even more of a red herring because a solid portion of people voted for Biden then split their ticket.
Them dems really missed the mark on the voter fraud :lol:
Jonathan Carone liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
If Biden gets in he's going to have to answer questions from a VERY angry "new" Republican party on years of pay to play business deals. After 4 years of of false accusation against Trump, it's built up. And Biden has a lot of skeletons in the closet.

Can you say President Harris? I hope you Biden supporters know what you're doing. :lol:
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: November 5th, 2020, 11:56 pm I believe I predicted Nancy would start claiming a Mandate Fron The American People

That's really funny. I missed that one. Possibly the most incompetent high profile politician of all-time.

There's actually a really nice balance of power coming out of this election. The GOP should end up with a slight edge in the Senate and the Dems have only a slight edge now in the House. If anything got repudiated in this election, it's the House. So, you can say goodbye to the Green New Deal, packing the courts, ending the electoral college, and higher taxes.
Athens Regional

We open the regional with a win over Charlotte, 6-[…]

This year's men’s basketball?

Looks like both Jaylen Davis and Ben Southerland a[…]

2025 Recruiting Discussion

Now that we have the current roster finalized, by […]

Future Schedules.... Again

Did Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and Qatar join the […]