This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Jonathan Carone
Last week I noticed something and wanted to bring it here since you all are mostly more conservative politically than me. I ask this not in a gotcha! way, but with a genuine curiosity.

In general, conservatives hold the American flag in the highest esteem. You don’t mess with the flag. You don’t change it. You don’t kneel.

Why then is it acceptable for the Three Percenters to take the Betsy Ross flag and insert their logo onto it?

I saw multiple versions of this flag flying at the beach last week and didn’t understand why this one thing is acceptable but others aren’t.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
1 I’m not familiar with what a 3% is
2 The Betsy Ross flag isn’t really the US Flag
3 It’s more about respecting the US flag and not disrespecting it or desecrating it than it is about following US Flag Code
olldflame, flameshaw liked this
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
I travel quite a bit and I can honestly say I’ve never seen this flag. I agree with your point that its no different than the left, but I also don’t believe in worshipping flags.

I do believe in respecting one’s country, however.
By Jonathan Carone

Three Percenters are a far right militia type group. Heavily focused on gun ownership and hate the federal government. It’s been around since the Obama election but has really gained more and more popularity over the last year, especially in very strong conservative areas.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
FYI, the 3% name is based on the assertion (which I believe has been fairly well debunked) that only 3% of the colonists actually took up arms in the revolutionary war.
Jonathan Carone liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: August 16th, 2020, 2:33 pm Last week I noticed something and wanted to bring it here since you all are mostly more conservative politically than me. I ask this not in a gotcha! way, but with a genuine curiosity.

In general, conservatives hold the American flag in the highest esteem. You don’t mess with the flag. You don’t change it. You don’t kneel.

Why then is it acceptable for the Three Percenters to take the Betsy Ross flag and insert their logo onto it?

I saw multiple versions of this flag flying at the beach last week and didn’t understand why this one thing is acceptable but others aren’t.
I don’t fully agree with your premise. One can hold the American flag in high esteem and choose to believe its wrong to kneel, and also believe its wrong to deface the flag in the way this militia group apparently does.

Sounds like it’s only acceptable in this instance to the 3% Militia. If they feel that strongly in the abolishment of the federal government, they might burn the American flag as well. Which I believe is their right, even if I won’t choose to do the same.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: August 16th, 2020, 3:47 pm Image

Three Percenters are a far right militia type group. Heavily focused on gun ownership and hate the federal government. It’s been around since the Obama election but has really gained more and more popularity over the last year, especially in very strong conservative areas.
I think it’s kinda cool looking. Not sure what’s to be offended about. Do you think you might be spending too much time looking at the extremes and not the mainstream? I mean I like guns. I’m not a fan of the Federal Government. But that doesn’t make me a 3% or White Supremacist or Nazi or whatever
If you’re not careful I’m fearful you will end up like these people... :D

https://nypost.com/2020/07/29/norwegian ... rate-flag/
By Jonathan Carone
I came across the organization because a dad at daycare had the logo on his window. I’d never seen it so I looked up who they were. Then last week there was a flag flying on a condo across from where we were staying so I saw it any time I walked outside. Those are my main two interactions. Again - I’m more curious in rationale than anything. I have my own feelings on the flag but I’m fascinated by how people with different views than me interpret things.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: August 16th, 2020, 7:07 pm I came across the organization because a dad at daycare had the logo on his window. I’d never seen it so I looked up who they were. Then last week there was a flag flying on a condo across from where we were staying so I saw it any time I walked outside. Those are my main two interactions. Again - I’m more curious in rationale than anything. I have my own feelings on the flag but I’m fascinated by how people with different views than me interpret things.
Maybe they were just normal dudes and thought it looked cool? That’s how I see it.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
They aren't a white nationalist group but there are white nationalist who agree with their poltics and wear their patch and wave their flag even though they aren't part of the group. Much like a lot of right wing groups, there is some overlapping but the group's leadership does not speak highly of white nationalists.

Anyways, I wouldn't be waving the flag but if you do have fun I guess.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
i'm not sure modifying the flag into your own version has the same bearing as burning/destruction of the flag which is what most conservatives seem to be the most critical of. projecting them to be the same thing seems absurd.
Purple Haize liked this
By Jonathan Carone
I don't view modifying and destroying at the same level at all and would agree they don't have the same bearing.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I don't think it's any different than the blue line flag for police or red line flag for firefighters, etc. You'll probably find that those who take issue with the "modification" of the flag are taking issue with the belief behind it, not with the act itself. After all, flags are symbols.
By Jonathan Carone
stokesjokes wrote: August 18th, 2020, 11:19 am I don't think it's any different than the blue line flag for police or red line flag for firefighters, etc. You'll probably find that those who take issue with the "modification" of the flag are taking issue with the belief behind it, not with the act itself. After all, flags are symbols.
This is a really great comparison.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
I have a Liberty flag that has red and blue stripes, and a few stars around the LU logo on the field of blue. I also have a VT flag that has maroon and orange stripes. I find no issue with it, and I find no issue with those who kneel during the anthem either. The beauty of America is, you can do those things, and the right to do them is worth fighting for.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: August 16th, 2020, 2:33 pm Last week I noticed something and wanted to bring it here since you all are mostly more conservative politically than me. I ask this not in a gotcha! way, but with a genuine curiosity.

Curious. What beach did you visit? I was at Nags Head and one would think there was a Trump rally going on.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
3%s are idiots but I don’t care what they or anyone else does to or with the flag.

I just find it funny that the stereotypical huge flag worshippers frequently violate the flag code but will complain if someone does something that they perceive as disrespectful to the flag. Like man some of them have American flag underwear, they’re literally rubbing their genitals and butt on the flag and getting skid marks on it.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
lol like really lol. yeah i was someone who mentioned that back during the whole kneeling thing.

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]