This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUDad
cruzan_flame13 wrote: July 24th, 2020, 7:34 pm
LUDad wrote: July 24th, 2020, 7:29 pm A number of universities are having budget issues right now...Wonder if the teams in the AAC would be interested in a nice paycheck in turn for a conference invite? They even have an opening right now with UConn going to Big East.
We wouldn't even have the majority presidents at those universities vote us in for political and academic reasons(claiming LU pursue psuedo-academics) plus the fact that we're still newbies in FBS. I want to see how schools will react if fall season are canceled. Will they place their ego to the side or keep doing what they're doing hoping to survive the financial drought.
At least they can no longer berate online education. It turned out to be visionary.
cruzan_flame13 liked this
LUDad wrote: July 24th, 2020, 7:50 pm
cruzan_flame13 wrote: July 24th, 2020, 7:34 pm
LUDad wrote: July 24th, 2020, 7:29 pm A number of universities are having budget issues right now...Wonder if the teams in the AAC would be interested in a nice paycheck in turn for a conference invite? They even have an opening right now with UConn going to Big East.
We wouldn't even have the majority presidents at those universities vote us in for political and academic reasons(claiming LU pursue psuedo-academics) plus the fact that we're still newbies in FBS. I want to see how schools will react if fall season are canceled. Will they place their ego to the side or keep doing what they're doing hoping to survive the financial drought.
At least they can no longer berate online education. It turned out to be visionary.
This. I hate to do it but I have to laugh. Everyone hated us for being an “online school” ... Then everyone went online. And who was the most equipped to go online? Oh...yeah...the school that’s been online since before Brad Paisley made it funny. Stones in glass houses and so forth. Let it burn?
Purple Haize wrote: July 25th, 2020, 5:00 pm LU wasn’t really that well equipped to go from brick and mortar to virtual
Half the time you respond to me I think it’s just for old time’s sake and not based in substance...but 8 years later, here we are, and here I go taking the bait once again.

Note - “most equipped” ...that is to assume I am comparing LU to others. Compared to others, we certainly were the most equipped to go online. Consider that the majority of professors already teach online, and the majority of students already take an online class or two, even as residential students. Consider the IT infrastructure and so on...No one else was more prepared to go online than the Flames.
Logic wrote: July 26th, 2020, 4:22 pm
Purple Haize wrote: July 25th, 2020, 5:00 pm LU wasn’t really that well equipped to go from brick and mortar to virtual
Half the time you respond to me I think it’s just for old time’s sake and not based in substance...but 8 years later, here we are, and here I go taking the bait once again.

Note - “most equipped” ...that is to assume I am comparing LU to others. Compared to others, we certainly were the most equipped to go online. Consider that the majority of professors already teach online, and the majority of students already take an online class or two, even as residential students. Consider the IT infrastructure and so on...No one else was more prepared to go online than the Flames.
Sounds like something Red Finch would post.
Whatisthetruth wrote: July 27th, 2020, 8:43 am

I don’t know who Red Finch is but I’ve heard it twice now in regards to this post and Trey Falwell. I just speak truth and logic. To say that Liberty was ill equipped to go online is astounding for someone in Lynchburg with long-standing ties to LU. Cmon Haize, you can do better. I can assure you with 100% certainty there was no one else better prepared than LU. We’ve averaged more than 60k online over the last 10 years. No other brick and mortar campus was in a better position.
ballcoach15 liked this
Logic wrote: July 28th, 2020, 5:54 pm

I don’t know who Red Finch is but I’ve heard it twice now in regards to this post and Trey Falwell. I just speak truth and logic. To say that Liberty was ill equipped to go online is astounding for someone in Lynchburg with long-standing ties to LU. Cmon Haize, you can do better. I can assure you with 100% certainty there was no one else better prepared than LU. We’ve averaged more than 60k online over the last 10 years. No other brick and mortar campus was in a better position.
Actually, LU couldn't translate their on campus product over to the weak online offerings they have. Converting on campus schooling to an online format is vastly different than the basic LU Online programs. My guess is you have never taught an upper level course in person. There experience a student expects in the campus environment is unlike that if the typical online program. This is why do many students are selling refunds and discounts from schools that are not giving then on campus opportunities this fall. Liberty just way overinflates the cost and the value of the online side of the school... It doesn't compare to what a student gets in person.
I'd also posit that LU's leadership has fallen pretty far behind the curve in their online program. Jerry better get his crap together or the state schools will be churning out lower level course for $60-70 a credit hour and LU will find that students will be making choices with their wallets.
I feel pretty safe in saying that there will be a continued (and likely growing) market for Liberty's course offerings, both on campus and on-line. We could go back and forth on the quality/value of what is taught in them. As long as the school is accredited and sticks by its mission, for a lot of students and parents, what is at least as important is what is NOT taught.
Purple Haize liked this
olldflame wrote: July 29th, 2020, 9:09 am I feel pretty safe in saying that there will be a continued (and likely growing) market for Liberty's course offerings, both on campus and on-line. We could go back and forth on the quality/value of what is taught in them. As long as the school is accredited and sticks by its mission, for a lot of students and parents, what is at least as important is what is NOT taught.
Amen brother!
TH Spangler wrote: July 29th, 2020, 10:33 am
olldflame wrote: July 29th, 2020, 9:09 am I feel pretty safe in saying that there will be a continued (and likely growing) market for Liberty's course offerings, both on campus and on-line. We could go back and forth on the quality/value of what is taught in them. As long as the school is accredited and sticks by its mission, for a lot of students and parents, what is at least as important is what is NOT taught.
Amen brother!
Perfect time to announce we are adding dorms, teachers and infrastructure for 25k residential students and a Future P5 level athletic budget and scheduling philosophy....the more radical left everyone else becomes the better for LU.
The issue will be the other players entering the field with the same mission but superior platform
LU was NOT well-equipped to "go online" in March. There is a world of difference between synchronous online teaching and asynchronous online teaching. LUO has been asynchronous all these years; in fact, they bristle at the idea of synchronous courses because offering them is far more costly and complicated than implementing asynchronous courses.

Asynchronous online courses through LUO are the equivalent of a frozen TV dinner. "Here's your course: microwave on high for 3 minutes, stir, then cook for 2 more minutes." These meals are prepared by low-wage assembly line workers, just like LUO courses are.

Residential, brick-and-mortar courses are like a hibachi dinner -- the professional chef puts on a live show just inches away from the audience, and the audience can actively participate. They cost much more than a frozen dinner, and rightfully so.

Synchronous online courses attempt to reproduce the hibachi dinner show live on Zoom. The audience sees the chef perform on the screen, and they can participate in a limited way, but four of their five senses are shut out from the experience, making it far inferior to actually being there. These courses, as complicated as they are to implement, should be offered at a significant discount because they offer an inferior experience. The entire LU faculty (especially those who taught mostly online) wasn't prepared to teach asynchronous courses, given a week's notice to convert from residential to online. Most of them did the best they could, but none of them could make a flaming onion volcano as much as they wanted to.

The LUO program is indeed a diploma mill. Are the courses challenging and do students learn from them? Sometimes, just like a microwave dinner can provide the promised nutrients and satisfaction. But, by design, LUO courses are cheaply mass-produced on an assembly line, and the audience consumes them on the go. It is a travesty that the same diplomas are awarded to LUO students as those earned by residential students.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I tots want a Hungry Man Salisbury Steak TV dinner now. With mashed potatoes corn and chocolate brownie!

Would this be Red Finch Solutions, owned by Liberty's CIO John Gauger, whom Michael Cohen hired to rig online polls for Trump? :lol: Trey and he were pictured with thousand in cash received from Cohen, laid out on a bed in front of them.
Thirdbase wrote: July 29th, 2020, 10:10 pm
LU was NOT well-equipped to "go online" in March. There is a world of difference between synchronous online teaching and asynchronous online teaching. LUO has been asynchronous all these years; in fact, they bristle at the idea of synchronous courses because offering them is far more costly and complicated than implementing asynchronous courses.

Asynchronous online courses through LUO are the equivalent of a frozen TV dinner. "Here's your course: microwave on high for 3 minutes, stir, then cook for 2 more minutes." These meals are prepared by low-wage assembly line workers, just like LUO courses are.

Residential, brick-and-mortar courses are like a hibachi dinner -- the professional chef puts on a live show just inches away from the audience, and the audience can actively participate. They cost much more than a frozen dinner, and rightfully so.

Synchronous online courses attempt to reproduce the hibachi dinner show live on Zoom. The audience sees the chef perform on the screen, and they can participate in a limited way, but four of their five senses are shut out from the experience, making it far inferior to actually being there. These courses, as complicated as they are to implement, should be offered at a significant discount because they offer an inferior experience. The entire LU faculty (especially those who taught mostly online) wasn't prepared to teach asynchronous courses, given a week's notice to convert from residential to online. Most of them did the best they could, but none of them could make a flaming onion volcano as much as they wanted to.

The LUO program is indeed a diploma mill. Are the courses challenging and do students learn from them? Sometimes, just like a microwave dinner can provide the promised nutrients and satisfaction. But, by design, LUO courses are cheaply mass-produced on an assembly line, and the audience consumes them on the go. It is a travesty that the same diplomas are awarded to LUO students as those earned by residential students.
Truth. I’ve never taken issue with what LUO can be. My problem is that there’s a need to keep the bottom line high, and in doing so the product is cheapened. My past life at LU involved rejecting potential residential students with GPAs under a 3.0 and mediocre test scores, while a fair share of LUO students were sliding in with a quarter of the admissions documents and 1.5 GPAs.
Just John wrote: July 29th, 2020, 10:53 pm

Would this be Red Finch Solutions, owned by Liberty's CIO John Gauger, whom Michael Cohen hired to rig online polls for Trump? :lol: Trey and he were pictured with thousand in cash received from Cohen, laid out on a bed in front of them.
Just John,

Gauger also received a boxing glove. Don't forget the twitter account 'Women for Cohen' where he made Cohen into a sex symbol. You can also read about other things in various articles such as posting on message boards with fake accounts to support or attack positions based on directives from the LU leadership. One really has to wonder about the quality of decision-making at LU.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

I'm not a fan of Cleveland trying to play point gu[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://x.com/ChrisVannini/status/17825216333887[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

I bet those are a joy. Texas poltical ads are a […]

New Mexico State

1 change and a couple of tweaks. But we swung ba[…]