This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Friend who's still employed at AA, 40 years of service (now on vol 24 month leave of absence due to the virus), would not have a casual conversation with any of the new insourced help he worked with (sad). He said it was because its not safe ... what you say can be twisted and someone accuse you of something and you're fired whether it's true or not. Obviously he does not partake of social media either :lol:

Hope people push back against this stuff.

Local news

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/u-s-world/co ... etirement/

Buzz Feed headline?

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml/sk ... ssor-death
Last edited by TH Spangler on July 26th, 2020, 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Jonathan Carone
I think two things are true here:

1) It’s a tragedy that his life was lost.

2) He’s caused issues at UNCW for decades long before the current climate became what it is now.

There’s extreme ugliness on both sides here and it’s led to a tragedy. Yet another example how activity on the fringes always leads to harm.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 25th, 2020, 9:43 pm I think two things are true here:

1) It’s a tragedy that his life was lost.

2) He’s caused issues at UNCW for decades long before the current climate became what it is now.

There’s extreme ugliness on both sides here and it’s led to a tragedy. Yet another example how activity on the fringes always leads to harm.
Certainly a lot to unpack here. If you click some of the links and read articles, especially the interview with him, you have a hard time disagreeing with most of what he says. At very least, he's just a man openly sharing his views. Something that's becoming harder and harder to do these days and stay employed. That's concerning.

http://www.ncpolicywatch.com/2020/07/02 ... to-an-end/
By Jonathan Carone
My sister is a UNCW grad. Her husband did graduate work in the same department as this professor. He purposefully avoided the professor because of the things he would say and the way he would treat people. That was over ten years ago.

You have a right to say whatever you want. You do not have a right to continue to be employed when the things you say contradict your employer’s policies.

At the same time, we’ve got to do better as a country than the continue to bully and shame those with opinions we disagree with. We have to be able to disagree and protest civilly without turning personal or vindictive. That wasn’t the case in this man’s situation. People took it too far and a life was lost because of it.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
I don't know a lot about uncw. Had a friend send his son to odu to go the rotc route. His grandfather was career Army and his Dad was a Marine. Things went well at odu. He actually won his roommate to Christ. Then he got some bad news, he had a medical issue that halted his military service hope's. So he decided to come home to Greensboro, live at home and finish at uncg. Big mistake, I don't think he lasted 2 semesters. Said uncg was the most anti Christian environment he had ever encountered. He got tired of standing up to his professors.
Last edited by TH Spangler on July 26th, 2020, 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 26th, 2020, 8:02 am My sister is a UNCW grad. Her husband did graduate work in the same department as this professor. He purposefully avoided the professor because of the things he would say and the way he would treat people. That was over ten years ago.

You have a right to say whatever you want. You do not have a right to continue to be employed when the things you say contradict your employer’s policies.

At the same time, we’ve got to do better as a country than the continue to bully and shame those with opinions we disagree with. We have to be able to disagree and protest civilly without turning personal or vindictive. That wasn’t the case in this man’s situation. People took it too far and a life was lost because of it.
I had never heard of this gentleman until this week. Ive read a couple of fair articles on him the past couple days. Skip the liberal headlines from the usual outlets, get to the acual facts, look past the liberal spin and he was spot on with most his opinions. If what my friend told me about unc system is true I'm sure they were losing their minds with him on campus with tenure.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 26th, 2020, 8:02 am My sister is a UNCW grad. Her husband did graduate work in the same department as this professor. He purposefully avoided the professor because of the things he would say and the way he would treat people. That was over ten years ago.

True. Did you read some of the post and issues he responded to. It's a two way street. A case could easily be made that he was bullied and decided to make a stand, now with a tragic ending. Do you think it was suicide or murder. The odd thing I picked up on, one story said he had reconciled with an x wife and believe it or not she was once a student and critic of his. Her name is on the deed to his home. It also said she had remarried. Who knows where this goes.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Loved reading his articles Had not seen much from him recently. I’m sorry this happened
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]