This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 11th, 2021, 5:39 pm I think the thought process is if they didn't make a move shareholders and customers may not be happy therefore the bottom line would be impacted. I don't know if I buy that but that is the logic.

I don't have s problem with them choosing to drop Parler. That is their right. The problem is these companies were allowed to get too large and control too much.
So Amazon (and Google and Apple) customers and shareholders drove this action? That’s not what Amazon and the others cited as the reason. It’s supposedly about purging violence and hate. I’m all for that. Funny thing is I didn’t see much of that in my experience on Parler. I used it to link easily to other news sources, kind of tired of Google foisting suggestions of New York Times, NBC and NPR on me. But there’s always Twitter. Safe space there. No violence or hate. And you can easily get that app through Google and Apple’s stores!
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Like it or not, other companies that Parler relies on to exist choosing not to do business with Parler is the market in action.

Should a few companies be allowed to be so large as to decide the fate of another company on a whim? That’s the root problem here, as others have said.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
LUminary wrote: January 11th, 2021, 6:20 pm
thepostman wrote: January 11th, 2021, 5:39 pm I think the thought process is if they didn't make a move shareholders and customers may not be happy therefore the bottom line would be impacted. I don't know if I buy that but that is the logic.

I don't have s problem with them choosing to drop Parler. That is their right. The problem is these companies were allowed to get too large and control too much.
So Amazon (and Google and Apple) customers and shareholders drove this action? That’s not what Amazon and the others cited as the reason. It’s supposedly about purging violence and hate. I’m all for that. Funny thing is I didn’t see much of that in my experience on Parler. I used it to link easily to other news sources, kind of tired of Google foisting suggestions of New York Times, NBC and NPR on me. But there’s always Twitter. Safe space there. No violence or hate. And you can easily get that app through Google and Apple’s stores!
I know the reason they gave because it is a PR move. PR moves are always done with money in mind.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
There is one powerful tech guy who's not like the others. After the smoke clears, he may step up. He had Alex Berenson's back when Amazon attempted to suppress his book last summer.

I could definitely see Elon Musk entering the social media market and anything else powerful enough to brazenly silence free thought and free discourse.
Kricket liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Nearly a 100 years later we are seeing the emergence of the new Rockefeller’s, Vanderbilt’s Getty’s etc along with their monopolies
stokesjokes, Jonathan Carone, JK37 and 1 others liked this
By cruzan_flame13
Who said the Rockefeller's are gone? Who do you think fund these tech corporations? Also there's a heir to the Vanderbilt estate telling narratives from the "news anyone can trust." His name is Anderson Cooper. They're still playing hand in hand; they just want many Americans to remain oblivious (which most are honestly).
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: January 11th, 2021, 9:26 pm There is one powerful tech guy who's not like the others. After the smoke clears, he may step up. He had Alex Berenson's back when Amazon attempted to suppress his book last summer.

I could definitely see Elon Musk entering the social media market and anything else powerful enough to brazenly silence free thought and free discourse.
I was saying this to my brother yesterday. I think he feels he's somewhat above social media, but this could change that perception. I also saw this article with his response to Babylon Bee on censoring Trump:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/ ... censorship
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: January 11th, 2021, 9:26 pm There is one powerful tech guy who's not like the others. After the smoke clears, he may step up. He had Alex Berenson's back when Amazon attempted to suppress his book last summer.

There are more than one. The Telegram guys are hardcore libertarians and their network is enormous. Gab has also seen huge growth in light of recent events, though their leadership are believers, so they have more restrictions to what they allow.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 11th, 2021, 9:31 pm Nearly a 100 years later we are seeing the emergence of the new Rockefeller’s, Vanderbilt’s Getty’s etc along with their monopolies
You probably never saw the movie. But that sounds like a classic line from an old Mike Meyers film. I think he added Colonial Sanders chicken into the mix as well.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: January 12th, 2021, 10:38 am

I was saying this to my brother yesterday. I think he feels he's somewhat above social media, but this could change that perception. I also saw this article with his response to Babylon Bee on censoring Trump:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/ ... censorship
I agree, he is above social media. But you never know what that guy is gonna do. And I'm sure he's not a fan of the suppression.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: January 12th, 2021, 11:23 pm
Purple Haize wrote: January 11th, 2021, 9:31 pm Nearly a 100 years later we are seeing the emergence of the new Rockefeller’s, Vanderbilt’s Getty’s etc along with their monopolies
You probably never saw the movie. But that sounds like a classic line from an old Mike Meyers film. I think he added Colonial Sanders chicken into the mix as well.
Are you kidding? It’s one of my favorite movies of all time. It became Mrs Purple and My date movie of choice!

By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Back to Paler. I was an aviation guy. I wish American, Delta and United could have legally cut Southwest off at the knees before they caused them to completely changes their business model. :lol:

I have no idea how Amazon, Google and Twitter are doing (getting away with ) what they're doing :lol:
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
I guess they do it because they can--and the reason they can is because they are so big--with no real competition.

The reason why is probably not much different from the many individuals out there who would rather avoid conflict than take a stand for what's right. Intimidation works. No one wants to take the heat from the mob by being out of step with their authoritarian assumptions.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Comparing the airline industry to the tech industry isn't a fair comparison. Especially when talking about companies like Amazon and Google who have the cloud market really cornered which hosts a large portion of websites, etc.. It is why tech companies have gotten to where they are, people don't know how to regulate them properly. All you have to do is watch some of the hearings and hear some of the insane questioning they get. As someone who works in the tech world day in and day out, it is always comical to watch these lawmakers asking guys like Mark Zuckerberg these absurd questions that have absolutely zero bearing on their business. Part of the problem is a lot of these elected officials aren't the most tech savvy people in the world. Tech companies love that and use it for their advantage.

Major airlines don't own the sky but companies like Amazon and Google own a good portion of the internet.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: January 14th, 2021, 10:38 am I guess they do it because they can--and the reason they can is because they are so big--with no real competition.

The reason why is probably not much different from the many individuals out there who would rather avoid conflict than take a stand for what's right. Intimidation works. No one wants to take the heat from the mob by being out of step with their authoritarian assumptions.
In the 90's the government hammered the big airlines that had little to no competition on antitrust violations. Made room for upstarts.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
@postman, maybe we need a "government option" for web hosting to keep them honest. :lol:

Frightening when one political party gets invited in bed with a monopoly.
Last edited by TH Spangler on January 14th, 2021, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: January 14th, 2021, 10:58 am Maybe we should seize the means of production, comrades
No, just need nonpartisan antitrust oversight. Like AA, DL, UA got :lol:
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: January 14th, 2021, 10:55 am @postman, maybe we need a "government option" for web hosting to keep them honest. :lol:

Frighting when one political party gets invited in bed with a monopoly.
I get where you are coming from but that would absolutely cripple innovation.

Edit: I think that was your point. Haha
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 14th, 2021, 11:07 am
TH Spangler wrote: January 14th, 2021, 10:55 am @postman, maybe we need a "government option" for web hosting to keep them honest. :lol:

Frighting when one political party gets invited in bed with a monopoly.
I get where you are coming from but that would absolutely cripple innovation.

Edit: I think that was your point. Haha
No, just like a goverment healthcare option, it's the solution. :lol:
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Mr. Fluffy Pillow Guy Mike Lindell banned from Twitter for questioning the integrity of the election.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
All these guys are getting sued by Dominion so I sure hope they actually have evidence for everything they have been saying because if not, being banned from Twitter will be the least of their worries as Dominion is filing lawsuits left and right against all these guys.
Jonathan Carone liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
It has nothing to do with that. Twitter cannot be sued. They have legal protection under the com act.
Purple Haize liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]