This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
For those who know about the social-media site Parler, any thoughts regarding it? Anyone here have an account?
By Ill flame
LUminary wrote: June 30th, 2020, 4:14 pm For those who know about the social-media site Parler, any thoughts regarding it? Anyone here have an account?
I created an account just to see what it was all about. It seems like it's basically just a pro free speech version of Twitter without character limits. It wasn't really something that interested me but if you like Twitter's format then you will like that.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I find it confusing. But it’s new and I’m old. So...
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: June 30th, 2020, 5:38 pm I find it confusing. But it’s new and I’m old. So...
You're old, but you're not Ballcoach OLD. :oldhag
ballcoach15 liked this
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
Old = wise. At least that's what I keep telling myself. Anyhow, Twitter is such a cesspool so I'll check it out.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I signed up just to see it and the Interface is awful. I am sure it'll be a cess pool just like twitter in no time because people are the worst.
ATrain liked this
By LUDad
Ill flame wrote: June 30th, 2020, 4:48 pm
LUminary wrote: June 30th, 2020, 4:14 pm For those who know about the social-media site Parler, any thoughts regarding it? Anyone here have an account?
I created an account just to see what it was all about. It seems like it's basically just a pro free speech version of Twitter without character limits. It wasn't really something that interested me but if you like Twitter's format then you will like that.
It would be nice if it gains traction as an alternative to Twitter. MySpace was the first "Facebook" So first to market does not always make one the ultimate winner.
Purple Haize liked this
By chris leedlelee
Parler actually seems to be gaining quite a bit of traction, with some big name accounts on there, in addition to quite a few news orgs. Worth keeping on my phone and looking at from time to time. It seems like conservatives have no choice but to make a mass switch to a platform like that which actually respects them.
Purple Haize, LUminary liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Only thing any of them are good for is, passing on scores of ball games.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: June 30th, 2020, 4:48 pm
And there is quite a few forms of speech that are prohibited so it’s not really the true free speech bastion everyone was hailing it to be. Already seen reports from people complaining about how they can’t just say any dumb crap they feel like saying. In some ways it even cracks down on speech more than Twitter does.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Whoever did that hack deserves a medal
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: July 15th, 2020, 7:42 pm Whoever did that hack deserves a medal
Things seem to be back to normal now, but apparently a bunch of people fell for the scam.
Purple Haize liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Wait, you cancelled twitter??? What about cancel culture!!?? :lol:

I kid. I tried parler but the user interface was not good. Has it gotten better?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: June 30th, 2020, 5:56 pm
Purple Haize wrote: June 30th, 2020, 5:38 pm I find it confusing. But it’s new and I’m old. So...
You're old, but you're not Ballcoach OLD. :oldhag
All social media is good for, is relaying scores and updates of ball games, to those not in attendance.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Don't want Twitter hanging out on my phone tracking me or censoring what I can read. They are not my friend :lol:
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 10:23 am Boy do I have some bad news for you if you are worried about being tracked by technology...
Yea I know. I just don't want twitter making any money off my data.
Kricket liked this
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
Well, Amazon completed the mission last night. Apple and Google didn’t need to ban the app for Parler, because now the app won’t matter since Amazon cut off the sever use. Parler has been banished, just like a sitting US president has been on Twitter and Facebook, for now at least. Great job Big Tech. I know, private companies. But the excuse of what happened at the Capitol last week is bogus. Parlor had no more vile elements than do Twitter or Facebook — except as judged by the left. (I’m sure some on here can cherry pick some examples to contradict — go for it, I’m growing too weary to care). But the reason being used is bogus. This is about shutting down a potentially serious and threatening competitor because they can, being big and powerful enough to do what they want, and it’s about silencing conservative thought, expression and opinion. Two birds, one stone, zero right reason. Sad.
Kricket, LU 57 liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
One of the interesting things in this scenario is that I heard the Parler CEO say they were having a hard time finding any server hosts that would take them on after Amazon decided to pull the plug. I’m not sure what the answer is here. In one sense this is one of the best examples of “the market has spoken” in practice, but what if we don’t like what “the market” has to say? Do we increase regulation and government oversight? Do we break up these companies to loosen their control?

I’ve got a strong libertarian streak in me (shocking, I know 😂), so it’s hard to parse what the response to “the market” doing things I don’t like should be.
By Jonathan Carone
I don’t think shutting these things down was a smart move, but eight of the ten most shared and clicked links on Facebook are to conservative articles/sources. It’s hard to say it’s an overwhelming silence of conservative views.
lynchburgwildcats liked this
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
Befuddles me how this was a market-driven move. Haven’t heard that one. I was under the impression that Parler was growing. But I guess since one can get conservative content on Facebook (which bans a president and tags selected posts cleansed and clarified by their impartial fact checkers) or other sources, no need for Parler to exist.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I think the thought process is if they didn't make a move shareholders and customers may not be happy therefore the bottom line would be impacted. I don't know if I buy that but that is the logic.

I don't have s problem with them choosing to drop Parler. That is their right. The problem is these companies were allowed to get too large and control too much.
Jonathan Carone liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Facebook's data grab on WhatsApp has led to a tidal wave of movement over to Signal. I suspect allegiances to social networks will have a much shorter shelf life moving forward.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]