This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

I’m not sure “distract” is the appropriate word. Isn’t it fair to say we’ve been distracted from the issues at hand for too long? In that vein, could it be fair to say that COVID-19’s leading role in removing so many distractions has caused us to finally address issues from which we’ve been distracted for far too long?
I freely admit the lack of distraction has allowed there to be room to tackle some things in my own life and it appears to be what is helping force some of these tough conversations.

So yes, we have probably been too distracted for too long.

With that said, I really miss live sports.
JK37 wrote: June 7th, 2020, 5:04 am I’m not sure “distract” is the appropriate word. Isn’t it fair to say we’ve been distracted from the issues at hand for too long? In that vein, could it be fair to say that COVID-19’s leading role in removing so many distractions has caused us to finally address issues from which we’ve been distracted for far too long?
I’m going to say the opposite is true. Nothing is being addressed. People are looking for the next thing to take their mind off of doing nothing and the bad news. Talk to mental health experts and your local pastor. This has not been a good time. People are not all coming together in Kumbiyah Moments on large scales. People are getting into their own heads and weird things are happening.
On Sunday afternoon, a veto-proof majority of Minneapolis City Council members will announce their commitment to disbanding the city’s embattled police department, which has endured relentless criticism in the wake of the police killing of George Floyd, an unarmed Black man, on May 25.
For years, activists have argued that MPD has failed to actually keep the city safe, and City Councilmembers echoed that sentiment today during their announcement. MPD’s record for solving serious crimes in the city is consistently low. For example, in 2019, Minneapolis police only cleared 56 percent of cases in which a person was killed. For rapes, the police department’s solve rate is abysmally low. In 2018, their clearance rate for rape was just 22 percent. In other words, four out of every five rapes go unsolved in Minneapolis. Further casting doubt on the department’s commitment to solving sexual assaults, MPD announced last year the discovery of 1,700 untested rape kits spanning 30 years, which officials said had been misplaced.
https://theappeal.org/minneapolis-city- ... ic-safety/
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 7th, 2020, 5:17 pm
On Sunday afternoon, a veto-proof majority of Minneapolis City Council members will announce their commitment to disbanding the city’s embattled police department, which has endured relentless criticism in the wake of the police killing of George Floyd, an unarmed Black man, on May 25.
For years, activists have argued that MPD has failed to actually keep the city safe, and City Councilmembers echoed that sentiment today during their announcement. MPD’s record for solving serious crimes in the city is consistently low. For example, in 2019, Minneapolis police only cleared 56 percent of cases in which a person was killed. For rapes, the police department’s solve rate is abysmally low. In 2018, their clearance rate for rape was just 22 percent. In other words, four out of every five rapes go unsolved in Minneapolis. Further casting doubt on the department’s commitment to solving sexual assaults, MPD announced last year the discovery of 1,700 untested rape kits spanning 30 years, which officials said had been misplaced.
https://theappeal.org/minneapolis-city- ... ic-safety/
The idea that any municipality is better off without a police force is ludicrous, but the MPD is certainly a dumpster fire, to the point where starting over from scratch may be a legitimate option. There may be a few others as bad, but IMHO they are rare. The big question is what do they replace it with? They can call it whatever they want, but unless it functions basically as a police department, it will be a disaster.
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 7th, 2020, 6:11 pm I wonder if they’re using the Camden, NJ model. They completely disbanded and then rebuilt the department less than a week later with totally new policies and procedures plus a different funding model.
If I understand the Camden Model they just expanded County resources. I have a sense this will be different.
There are a handful of Departments that probably could use a good cleaning out that’s for sure (looking at you Baltimore).
ATrain liked this
Purple Haize wrote: June 7th, 2020, 6:27 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 7th, 2020, 6:11 pm I wonder if they’re using the Camden, NJ model. They completely disbanded and then rebuilt the department less than a week later with totally new policies and procedures plus a different funding model.
If I understand the Camden Model they just expanded County resources. I have a sense this will be different.
There are a handful of Departments that probably could use a good cleaning out that’s for sure (looking at you Baltimore).
Camden laid off the entire department then rehired most of them once the new department was set up.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... department

The transformation began after the 2012 homicide spike. The department wanted to put more officers on patrol but couldn’t afford to hire more, partly because of generous union contracts. So in 2013, the mayor and city council dissolved the local PD and signed an agreement for the county to provide shared services. The new county force is double the size of the old one, and officers almost exclusively patrol the city. (They were initially nonunion but have since unionized.) Increasing the head count was a trust-building tactic, says Thomson, who served as chief throughout the transition: Daily, noncrisis interactions between residents and cops went up. Police also got de-escalation training and body cameras, and more cameras and devices to detect gunfire were installed around the city.

This is what I found. It sounds like they hit a “Reset” button and the County still does what local Police did but just by a different name.
Purple Haize wrote: June 7th, 2020, 6:27 pm
Baltimore needs to clean out more than just its PD.
thepostman liked this
I'm going to chime about Buffalo in as someone that has worn riot gear before.

You don't break the line. Full stop. I'm going to go full gate keeper here and say there are a lot of people that have a lot of opinions that are based upon nothing other than the breeze.

What happened in Buffalo absolutely sucks but was handled properly. He knew what was going on. He was defying an order from riot police. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

The cop is human and went to check on him. His supervisor guided him back on line to do his job. He put his fellow officers at risk by not being focused on the line.

The supervisor immediately got on the radio for medical.

They didn't move him because they can clearly see this was a head injury and they aren't going to touch a head/neck injury is EMT is nearby.

That entire detail resigned from that detail because it was made clear that they were not going to be supported for doing the job as they have been trained to do.

As a whole, I have a lot of issues with the militarization of police and think there are a lot of rights violations that are real. But these cops did riot control properly. They used an appropriate amount of force in both the choice to use the shove and how hard they pushed.

All of this measured and appropriate response days after two of that same PD were clearly the victims of attempted vehicular manslaughter.
JK37, Purple Haize, LU 57 and 2 others liked this
@Class of 20Something your opinion on the matter is certainly much more valid than the majority of us who post on here so I do appreciate your perspective.

I can't really disagree that they did the right thing but I think that may be part of the problem. But I honestly don't know. It's super easy to Monday morning QB this all day long.

Police departments are put in terrible situations and it is clear to almost everybody that changes need to be made but change is hard and there will be resistance to it. I wish I had the answer but I just don't.
First off - I appreciate the perspective. And the service it took to get that perspective. I don’t want my comments to not first express that appreciation.

I fall where Posty does. While this may have been the tactical policy, I think it’s a prime example of a policy that is out of line for what these protests have been and tend to cause more harm than good.
This could fit in several threads but I went with this one. LU apparently the only school with problems. Gundy is certainly no Falwell but this is bigger news than a WBB player leaving. I guess F the Police and Amerikka is fine but a OAN t shirt is beyond the pale

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootbal ... shirt/amp/
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]