This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I’m scheduled to be in San Antonio late September. I wouldn’t mind making a long weekend of it if anyone has suggestions of things to do not involving the Riverwalk
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
You rang!

Before I start making recommendations a couple of pieces of information would be helpful:

• 1. Will Mrs. Purple be able to join you?
  • 2. Where will you be staying? Downtown? Northside/Corporate? Hill Country/PGA Village?
  • 3. Where have you been in San Antonio in the past?

While I await your responses please keep in mind that Late September is still summer in the Alamo City. Triple Digits would not be unusual but typically it is sunny & 90s in that range. It is also still hurricane season for Texas. The cool fronts that push the storms away generally start back up for us in October.

It should also be noted that since San Antonio relies primarily on tourism and the military (shoutout to Postie) for its economy, the impact of COVID-19 has been particularly intense. Many of the restaurants that I typically recommend may no longer be in business by then. The good news is that because it is Texas, everything should be open including tourist attractions outside of the theme parks.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
We have a NSM there in September. Mrs Purple won’t be attending. I usually fly into a city a day or two ahead, rent a car and sight see. In the past it’s been Miami, Orlando, or Scottsdale. Road trips aren’t out of the question. Last time we were in SA we stayed downtown but not at the Riverwalk thingy. We could walk to it and the Alamo but didn’t tour. I imagine we will stay in that same area.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
That helps tremendously. Just a heads up that if you are considering making it a longer trip remember that you have flight options. SAT is a dinky little airport with limited flight options for such a large city. Many of my friends fly in and out of AUS because it has more flight options and typically Pre-COVID had better fares. It adds an extra hour of driving each way but does add the blessing of Austin BBQ if that lights a fire for you. And I know you have referenced that in the past.

First off, San Antonio is one of the few cities in America (and the only one in Texas) where you can sense old world-style history. The missions around San Antonio are amazing and anyone who appreciates history, architecture and Christian influence on the Western Hemisphere will feel it. The Alamo is the most famous of the missions for obvious reasons and is just blocks from the downtown hotels. Most foks just take a pic in front of the iconic entrance and move along. I STRONGLY encourage everyone to tour the place. Hearing the story of Daniel Boone & Davy Crockett and all those Texians and Tejanos who fought side by side for freedom is highly impactful. And now Phil Collins, yeah that Phil Colins, has donated his collection of Alamo artifacts that was the largest on the planet to the state for permanent inclusion in the Alamo itself. That makes it a much better experience than it was the many times I toured it back in the day when I first became a Texan.

Staying downtown creates plenty of walkable opportunities. Most sales meeetings usually work in floats around the Riverwalk and dinners at some of the restaurants I reference. Most folks only walk over to a small section of the Riverwalk and they see it and think, "That's cool. What's the big deal?" You haven't really experienced the cool vibe of the Riverwalk. Make sure you ride one of the barge tours and then walk significant sections of it. Other communities have tried to copy the essence of the Riverwalk but none have matched it. There are some chain restaurants like Hard Rock Cafe and others you expect in a tourist zone. But there are also hidden local gems any of which I recommended to Atrain a few years back when he lived in the most Un-Texan part of Texas.

My favorite section of downtown is actually the Mercado area. It is a blast to go through the markets during the day when they are open. But two of my favorite restaurants anywhere are owned by the same family inside the mercado. La Margarita and Mi Tierra are both quintessential TexMex experiences in very different ways. La Margarita is fajitas paradise. Order La Parrillada for a group. You enjoy it family-style and will never view TexMex the same way again. Just a few doors down is the most iconic eatery in the city called Mi Tierra. It is open 24 hours and is best known for its bakery and breakfast and most significantly being the place where folks head after a night on the town. But it is awesome all 24 of those hours.

My favorite restaurant in the city is in a barrio on the eastside called Pollos Asados Los Nortenos. It is my favorite chicken joint on the planet and no frying is involved. It is roasted in a smokehouse right out front that you can check out yourself. Don't expect anything upscale but expect awesomeness.

If you recall the old Adam Richman experience in the Alamo City in the first couple of episodes of Man v. Food you will find some of those remain among my favorites. I love going to Big Lous down on the SE side for the massive pizzas when I have group together. We stop there with several families when we are on our way eah summer from floating the Frio River.

Have I mentioned Buc-ees? The closest one to SA is in New Braunfels just north on the road to Austin. I know they are expending into Alabama, Georgia and Florida but it remains a Texan treasure. If you haven't actually gone inside one it is pointless to try and describe one. Just go there.

I have a slew of recmmmendations for the northside and up into the Hill Country. But this should be a nice way to get the conversation started. We are planning on spending a few days over there in the next month or so as a getaway. Hopefully then I will have a better read on what has survived the pandemic.
Purple Haize liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: May 31st, 2020, 10:50 am hit new Braunfels and tube the comal. It's fresh spring water in Texas heat. It's glorious.
Tube traffic on both the Comal & Guadalupe Rivers these days are insane due to it being one of the few recreational areas that has been open. I prefer the Frio a little over an hour west of SA. But I used to date Mrs. Sly floating the Comal and splashing around the original Schlitterbahn. I feel ya!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
@Sly Fox, thanks for the recommendations. I walked around the Alamo when I was there last time but did not take the tour because of time constraints. I will look further at the Riverwalk. Last time I was completely underwhelmed. I’ll be flying into SA because corporate is paying. Doesn’t sound like I’ll need to rent a car based on what you said unless I wanted to drive to Austin for the weekend. I’ll revisit this as we get closer.
Kinda hoping for a good bbq recommendation but you’ve failed me there. But I’ll just assume you have NDA’s with the owners :D
thepostman liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
TexMex is San Antonio's specialty. Even though it is just an hour south of Austin there is very little in common between the two cities. Most folks just grab 'cue at Rudy's which are all over the Alamo City since the chain began nearby. Purists may turn up their noses at a chain but they never disappoint me and the prices are reasonable. Whatever you do avoid Bill Millers like the plague ven though they are all over town. I have horror stories.

The one place in San Antonio that gts all the buzz is the Smoke Shack over int he museum district about 15-minute Uber from the downtown hotels. Honestly I have never been there because it just hasn't been convenient plus I am usually focused on south of the border flavors when I am SA. I believe there still is a County LIne on the Riverwalk. My dad and my daughters love the place as much for he aesthetics as the ribs. They serve up terrific sloppy backbacks (very similar to Montgomery Inn in Cincy or old school KC-style) and you can eat right along the river under live oaks and enjoy the people-watching.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: May 31st, 2020, 2:44 pm TexMex is San Antonio's specialty. Even though it is just an hour south of Austin there is very little in common between the two cities. Most folks just grab 'cue at Rudy's which are all over the Alamo City since the chain began nearby. Purists may turn up their noses at a chain but they never disappoint me and the prices are reasonable. Whatever you do avoid Bill Millers like the plague ven though they are all over town. I have horror stories.

The one place in San Antonio that gts all the buzz is the Smoke Shack over int he museum district about 15-minute Uber from the downtown hotels. Honestly I have never been there because it just hasn't been convenient plus I am usually focused on south of the border flavors when I am SA. I believe there still is a County LIne on the Riverwalk. My dad and my daughters love the place as much for he aesthetics as the ribs. They serve up terrific sloppy backbacks (very similar to Montgomery Inn in Cincy or old school KC-style) and you can eat right along the river under live oaks and enjoy the people-watching.
This “County Line” intrigues me. I’m an avid people watcher and enjoy KC Style ribs. It sounds like I may just fly in Sat instead of Friday and that will exhaust my list of to do things. An Alamo Tour though is on the list
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Check out Gruene (pronounced Green) which is technically in New Braunfels if you go up there. Gristmill River Restaurant is amazing, they have BBQ but their chicken fried steak if what they're known for . Rudy's is also good for BBQ, and if you go northwest out of the city, you'll enter Texas Hill Country, with some nice wineries. Also, as Sly said, Buc-ee's is a must. It is the Disney World of gas stations, has good food and a ton of merchandise.

Here is the menu for Gristmill:
http://gristmillrestaurant.com/menu/
Purple Haize liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I have never checked out this Taco Loco you are referencing in New Braunfels. But that is a bold declaration considering its proximity to the breakfast taco mecca of Austin. Don't waste your time at the New Braunfels Smokehouse. It has been overrated for decades.

Gruene Hall is a Texas instutution for live music. Atrain gives great counsel on the Gristmill.

One place close to Downtown SA that I failed to reference earlier is the Pearl. It is a coverted brewery (that used to produce Pearl & Lone Star) that now hosts a hotel and restaurants that iare actually rather cool. I have been inside but have not eaten there yet. The locals love it.

Most of my clients in recent years have been on the Northside where all the corporate HQs are lined up. So I don't get down into the city quite as much. But my kids enjoy TexMex along the T in the RIverwalk at a place called Casa Rio. I believe Atrain has been there.

I mentioned the missions earlier. I am a sucker for historic churches. These days you can rent a bike or scooter and hit all seven of the missions down paths along the rivers. Mission Concepcion is my favorite of the others beyond the Alamo.
Purple Haize liked this
By LUAlum1215
Purple Haize wrote: May 31st, 2020, 12:26 pm @Sly Fox, thanks for the recommendations. I walked around the Alamo when I was there last time but did not take the tour because of time constraints. I will look further at the Riverwalk. Last time I was completely underwhelmed. I’ll be flying into SA because corporate is paying. Doesn’t sound like I’ll need to rent a car based on what you said unless I wanted to drive to Austin for the weekend. I’ll revisit this as we get closer.
Kinda hoping for a good bbq recommendation but you’ve failed me there. But I’ll just assume you have NDA’s with the owners :D
Antler Cafe and Texas 46 BBQ on Highway 46 in Spring Branch, TX. The two restaurants are directly across from each other. About 40 minutes north of SA, 10-15 minutes west of New Braunfels. I was in Spring Branch for 3 weeks about 2 years ago for work, actually just a mile or two up 46 from these places. We ate at both at least twice a week while we were there. Granted there aren't a ton of options in the area, but those places were fantastic.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The area you are referencing is the Canyon Lake/Smithson Valley are that is a lower area of the Texas Hill Country that I mntioned earlier. It looks a bit like the Smith Mountain Lake area. We've had members of our football, basketball & track teams from there over the years. AC Reid comes to mind. These places would require a rental car as you can get out there in a Uber but good luck getting back.

This discussion has me pondering whether Sea World will actually survive this year. They were hurting badly from animal rights perspective before they had their summer decimated by the pandemic. Six Flags might survive particularly business-friendly states like Texas. What an awful time to be in the theme park business.
By ElmersTwin
Purple Haize wrote: May 31st, 2020, 2:53 pm
Sly Fox wrote: May 31st, 2020, 2:44 pm TexMex is San Antonio's specialty. Even though it is just an hour south of Austin there is very little in common between the two cities. Most folks just grab 'cue at Rudy's which are all over the Alamo City since the chain began nearby. Purists may turn up their noses at a chain but they never disappoint me and the prices are reasonable. Whatever you do avoid Bill Millers like the plague ven though they are all over town. I have horror stories.

This “County Line” intrigues me. I’m an avid people watcher and enjoy KC Style ribs. It sounds like I may just fly in Sat instead of Friday and that will exhaust my list of to do things. An Alamo Tour though is on the list
I can't confirm since I have not been there, but I've heard good things about Valentina's in San Antonio. It's a Tex-Mex barbecue hybrid working out of a trailer.

Also, if you decide to venture from Austin down to SA, take a detour out to the far west of Austin (almost out to Dripping Springs) and hit up Jester King Brewery. Easily some of the best beer in the state and a super cool, family-friendly vibe.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
That area between Oak Hill & Drip has become lifestyles of the rich & famous with billionaires and celebrities snatching ranches. I have friends and colleagues who have lived in the area for generations getting squeezed out due to taxes going aky high. Thanks, Cali.
By LUDad
Sly Fox wrote: May 30th, 2020, 12:29 pm You rang!

Before I start making recommendations a couple of pieces of information would be helpful:

• 2. Where will you be staying? Downtown? Northside/Corporate? Hill Country/PGA Village?

While I await your responses please keep in mind that Late September is still summer in the Alamo City. Triple Digits would not be unusual but typically it is sunny & 90s in that range. It is also still hurricane season for Texas. The cool fronts that push the storms away generally start back up for us in October.

It should also be noted that since San Antonio relies primarily on tourism and the military (shoutout to Postie) for its economy, the impact of COVID-19 has been particularly intense. Many of the restaurants that I typically recommend may no longer be in business by then. The good news is that because it is Texas, everything should be open including tourist attractions outside of the theme parks.
I always used NSM and conferences to vacation with the family. Couldn't afford those type vacations any other way. Of course I only saw my family at night.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 9:43 pm

I always used NSM and conferences to vacation with the family. Couldn't afford those type vacations any other way. Of course I only saw my family at night.
Yeah, one guy always brings his wife. It’s kinda awkward. But Mrs purple can’t attend. I just like going out places early and sight see. Last year I flew in to Scottsdale and drove to Tucson.
By LUDad
Purple Haize wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 9:46 pm
LUDad wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 9:43 pm

Yeah, one guy always brings his wife. It’s kinda awkward. But Mrs purple can’t attend. I just like going out places early and sight see. Last year I flew in to Scottsdale and drove to Tucson.
Oh no, brought the childern too when it was Orlando, Carlsbad, etc. I alway when by myself to Vegas. These were usually conferences. Sales meeting I always went by myself.

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]