This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Sly Fox wrote: May 27th, 2020, 9:48 pm Well written!

I haven't experienced the A220 yet. And who knows if any of us ever will at this stage.
Thank you.

The A220 isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Delta hasn't grounded any of theirs, Air Canada is still flying them, and JetBlue is still accepting them. Not sure if United and American are ever going to fly it though, but it is a smaller plane (similar to the 717) with greater fuel efficiency, making it perfect for airlines who have them to fly them while larger jets (The 737 and A320 families) remain parked.
My one disappointment will be if our European adventure goes off we probably won’t be going on a 747. I have flown on several but not Mrs Purple. There is just “something “ about those planes that’s special.
Purple Haize wrote: May 28th, 2020, 8:00 am My one disappointment will be if our European adventure goes off we probably won’t be going on a 747. I have flown on several but not Mrs Purple. There is just “something “ about those planes that’s special.
We specifically chose the route we did to South Africa so we’d get to fly on the 747. Even had seats on the upper deck. Thanks for nothing, Rona.
JK37 wrote: May 28th, 2020, 10:40 am I can honestly say I’ve never considered the equipment when traveling. And I used to travel A LOT. But I’m open to learning more. What’s the appeal?
I’m with you mostly. But there is just something about a 747 that was cool. Whether you rode up top or not
The equiment matters significanty for the experience on long hauls. The 787s & A380s have better cabin compression use of carbon fiber technology that makes that minimizes jet lag. And depending on the airline, the equiment can determine the width of seats and the amount of recline. If you are flying long haul to places like South Africa or Down Under it can have a MAJOR impact on your experience.

For the record, I am not a huge fan of the 747. My first two choices are Dreamliner & A380 with the Triple-7 lagging behind. I am sad to see the A380s disappearing so quickly. My pilot buddies all love the 777 the most. I suspect that is because the new aircraft take much of the control of the flight away from the pilots.
Sly Fox wrote: May 28th, 2020, 3:34 pm The equiment matters significanty for the experience on long hauls. The 787s & A380s have better cabin compression use of carbon fiber technology that makes that minimizes jet lag. And depending on the airline, the equiment can determine the width of seats and the amount of recline. If you are flying long haul to places like South Africa or Down Under it can have a MAJOR impact on your experience.

For the record, I am not a huge fan of the 747. My first two choices are Dreamliner & A380 with the Triple-7 lagging behind. I am sad to see the A380s disappearing so quickly. My pilot buddies all love the 777 the most. I suspect that is because the new aircraft take much of the control of the flight away from the pilots.
We flew on the 777 from Atl to Joburg last year. We were going to be on the 747 to Paris going then coming back would stop in Amsterdam and fly on the A380 back to Dulles. Would have been really cool to check those big birds off the list. Hopefully we can go next spring.
Sly Fox wrote: May 28th, 2020, 3:34 pm The equiment matters significanty for the experience on long hauls. The 787s & A380s have better cabin compression use of carbon fiber technology that makes that minimizes jet lag. And depending on the airline, the equiment can determine the width of seats and the amount of recline. If you are flying long haul to places like South Africa or Down Under it can have a MAJOR impact on your experience.

The Dreamliner looks nice. Mrs Purple and I are going to do at least one leg of the trip Biz Class. But after seeing the cabins I might shell out for it both ways
I've been on a 340, 76 and 77 but never got to fly on a 74. Favorite is the 75 and oddest flight was in a DC10-30 with 15 other folks from Rio to Brasilia. Oh, the fleeting memories of my youth!
rogers3 wrote: May 28th, 2020, 7:52 pm I've been on a 340, 76 and 77 but never got to fly on a 74. Favorite is the 75 and oddest flight was in a DC10-30 with 15 other folks from Rio to Brasilia. Oh, the fleeting memories of my youth!
L1011 from Chicago to Orlando with about 30 people
Honestly, I have flown weird connections just to fly on the 757. As far as long haul, I've done the A330 (multiple models), A346, 789, and the A350-900. The 789 and 359 are definitely my favorites. Larger windows, better air circulation, etc...
PAmedic liked this
It will interesting to see who is flying what in the near future. Family members heads up AA's res training dept and has relationship with several vp's. They told me they look for AA to be 25-30% smaller, primarily domestic with A few intl routes ... 4 years before any growth.
TH Spangler wrote: May 30th, 2020, 6:36 am It will interesting to see who is flying what in the near future. Family members heads up AA's res training dept and has relationship with several vp's. They told me they look for AA to be 25-30% smaller, primarily domestic with A few intl routes ... 4 years before any growth.
Yeah, Delta's taking their 777s, MD-88s, MD-90s, out of the skies, and has currently parked all their A320s. I think AA has retired, most - if not all - of their E190s, 757s and 767s. Southwest has announced their intention to fly a full schedule in December with 11 new routes, but we'll see if that happens.

As of now we're scheduled to fly to Oklahoma City in October. We'll see what equipment Delta's using.
ATrain wrote: May 30th, 2020, 7:50 am
TH Spangler wrote: May 30th, 2020, 6:36 am It will interesting to see who is flying what in the near future. Family members heads up AA's res training dept and has relationship with several vp's. They told me they look for AA to be 25-30% smaller, primarily domestic with A few intl routes ... 4 years before any growth.
Yeah, Delta's taking their 777s, MD-88s, MD-90s, out of the skies, and has currently parked all their A320s. I think AA has retired, most - if not all - of their E190s, 757s and 767s. Southwest has announced their intention to fly a full schedule in December with 11 new routes, but we'll see if that happens.

As of now we're scheduled to fly to Oklahoma City in October. We'll see what equipment Delta's using.
Southwest is primarily a domestic carrier. The big 3 will look more like them the next 4 years I guess.
TH Spangler wrote: May 30th, 2020, 4:08 pm
ATrain wrote: May 30th, 2020, 7:50 am

Southwest is primarily a domestic carrier. The big 3 will look more like them the next 4 years I guess.
You are not incorrect on Southwest, but they have also been my preferred airline flying to Indiana from here in the DR (PUJ). The 2 free bags are especially nice on the return flight after Christmas. 8) 737 every time, which is pretty much all they use.
Oldflame he said Southwest was not cutting any flights, even adding a few. Sounds like big 3 are cutting tons of international flights, equal to 25 to 30 % of their total. AA, DL, UA will look more like WN after the cuts. Not sure what you mean about being wrong on WN.
oldflame wrote: May 31st, 2020, 5:25 pm Actually, I said you were right. I just used the term "not incorrect". 8)
If we're going with terminology, I'm going to point that the 737 is ALL that Southwest uses, no "pretty much," about it :wink:

The only other planes that Southwest ever flew were the 727, and that only lasted a few years, and the 717 under their subsidiary AirTran. Those 717s are now in Delta's fleet, but many have been parked and Delta may try to trade them in for the 737 MAX.

Speaking of the 737 MAX, here's my article about the MAX 9. It was kinda cool being able to walk around Boeing's Renton facility.
https://www.airlinereporter.com/2017/04 ... -one-goal/

Long snapper from Elon/UCLA with one year of eligi[…]

A Liberty-Longhorns matchup would be incredible. I[…]

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]