This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Gosh, for a few hours there, I thought Northam had shut down message boards. No new posts anywhere.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: April 24th, 2020, 10:29 am I good leader once told me, don't bother pointing out a problem if you don't want to be part of the solution.
Guess that demonstrates what type of leader we are dealing with....
thepostman liked this
Northern Virginia is 98% public sector employees. 98% vote Democrat. 98% are staying home and still getting pay checks. Just like they do when the government gets temporarily shutdown over a budget dispute. 🤔🤭 🤫 Paid vacation 🤣.

Not to mention their pay and benefits on average are 30% greater than their peers in the private sector.

Private sector out numbers public sector 4 to 1 nation wide. But public sector control all the levers of power. I don't include our enlisted serverman and woman in public the sector, some how they were excluded from excessive pay raises the rest of the sector has enjoyed the past 20 years.
It is 2020. I can guarantee you that the people working from home aren't on a paid vacation.

Where are you getting your numbers? Are you just making them up?

I am assigned to a federal agency in DC but have been working from home since March and it has been far from a vacation.
thepostman wrote: April 28th, 2020, 10:10 am It is 2020. I can guarantee you that the people working from home aren't on a paid vacation.

Where are you getting your numbers? Are you just making them up?

I am assigned to a federal agency in DC but have been working from home since March and it has been far from a vacation.
Yes.
He's shown over and over again that he doesn't have a clear grasp on things outside of his lane.

As someone who's transitioned from the private sector to the public sector I'd also add that my pay and benefits were much much much better in the private sector.

But yeah, public employees are working from home. Just like a lot of private employees.
adam42381 liked this
According to this business insider article I found about 25% of workers in DC work for the government.

https://www.businessinsider.com/percent ... ate-2019-1

A 2010 Gallup poll states 38% but puts federal and local governments in that number.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/141785/gov ... -ohio.aspx

Nowhere close to the 98% you claim @TH Spangler

I am well aware of how liberal the region is but you do yourself no favors by making up statistics and demonizing a group of people by claiming they are on some kind of a vacation.
Yacht Rock wrote: April 28th, 2020, 10:23 am He's shown over and over again that he doesn't have a clear grasp on things outside of his lane.

As someone who's transitioned from the private sector to the public sector I'd also add that my pay and benefits were much much much better in the private sector.

But yeah, public employees are working from home. Just like a lot of private employees.
Not the normal Yacht. Here's a 2012 article.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/p ... -rugy/amp/
Yacht Rock wrote: April 28th, 2020, 10:23 am He's shown over and over again that he doesn't have a clear grasp on things outside of his lane.

You went to become a Teacher in Central Virginia. That’s gonna be a pay cut regardless of where you transition from
TH Spangler wrote: April 28th, 2020, 10:43 am https://fee.org/articles/a-look-at-pay- ... nterparts/
This paragraph is properly why you don't get it Yacht.

"Across various education levels, federal employee compensation premiums ranged from a low of –18 percent for workers with a professional degree or doctorate to a high of 53 percent for workers with a high school diploma or less"

Most and I mean MOST public sector jobs are basic high school some college type jobs. And their pay and benefits are 50% plus higher than their public sector peers.
TH Spangler wrote: April 28th, 2020, 10:53 am My northern Virginia number includes house holds with at least one member receiving pay or benefits almost directly from the treasury. And maybe lobist, that line certain people's pockets.
Ok, that is a start but where did you get the 98% number from? You had to have gotten it from somewhere because if you didn't and are just making it up based on some anti-Northern Virginia bias then it kind of hurts your credibility.

Living in this area the past 7 years as someone who leans left, I'm well aware of the liberalism around here but if 98% vote democrat then this doesn't make sense:

https://www.npr.org/2016/11/08/50107070 ... on-results

A by county breakdown of the presidential election in 2016.
gvt sector jobs can have very little fulfillment, require lots of work, and often time run you in circles with red tape.

that said the security and benefits packages that come with federal jobs is far and away more attractive than the private sector. I believe you can make more money with ambition in the private world but the public sector has a pretty good pay scale.

My buddy is a GS12 step 3. started off at GS 5 out of college. straight up steady eddied his way into his current position. he doesn't have much ambition, his job is ok, but the backend benefits are tremendous.
TH Spangler liked this
Okay I'll give you the 98% argument. But if you apply what I said to DC and its surrounding bedroom communities (county's) in northern Virginia you are at 80%.

Demacrat are constantly looking for ways to divide us. This is one they seem to ignore. In fact the old Republican establishment has played along for years.

Purple central Virginia teachers are probably not left enough for a raise. Move to an urban center and join a union. I know all about how they work. I was a CWA shop steward for 5 years. :roll:
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I merged this with the Virginia governor thread as both are very connected.

@TH Spangler you're numbers should be verified by sources to help your argument and not just based on your personal beliefs. It makes it really hard to have any kind of real dialogue when fake numbers are being used.
I posted two articles that back me up. Anyone can read them? Second one quoted several GOVERMENT studies and broke it down by job type and education level. I'll let them repsent the facts.

What does the gs12 mentioned above do?

Salary for a GS-12 employee Step 1 is almost 70K, with a maximum base pay of $86,021.00 per year. I have a friend that retired a gs13 or 14. She dropped out of what was Ferrum Jr College at the time. You should see her retirement package at age 55. All I can say is it's a good gig now days. If I were getting out of college now I would be knocking on doors.
TH Spangler wrote:I posted two articles that back me up. Anyone can read them? Second one quoted several GOVERMENT studies and broke it down by job type and education level. I'll let them repsent the facts.
That was in regards to benefits packages. There are tons of great benefits in the public sector that you pointed out .

That wasn't my issue. This was.
TH Spangler wrote: April 28th, 2020, 9:58 am Northern Virginia is 98% public sector employees. 98% vote Democrat.
You started your entire post with things that are at all accurate and no data out there backs it up. Not even close to 98% voted against Trump in the election pretty much proves your correction if 80% isnt accurate either. It is just stats pulled out of the air making it tough to take the rest of your post seriously.

You also insinuated that the government workers are somehow on some kind of paid vacation right now. It is insulting to a lot of people and not accurate of the situation in 2020.

It seems to me, correct me if I'm wrong, you are frustrated that northern virginia realities seem to be creating policy statewide and I completely understand that frustration. Lynchburg and Alexandria are 2 totally different worlds in regards to the Virus and a whole lot of other ways as well.

But you can't allow that frustration to cause you to speak half truths and resort to these kinds of tactics.
TH Spangler wrote:
What does the gs12 mentioned above do?

Salary for a GS-12 employee Step 1 is almost 70K, with a maximum base pay of $86,021.00 per year. I have a friend that retired a gs13 or 14. She dropped out of what was Ferrum Jr College at the time. You should see her retirement package at age 55. All I can say is it's a good gig now days. If I were getting out of college now I would be knocking on doors.
GS rates are different depending on region.
So what you’re saying is government jobs pay an appropriate compensation package in order to retain quality employees whereas the private sector suppresses wages in the name of profit for the company and executives?
Jonathan Carone wrote: April 28th, 2020, 1:32 pm So what you’re saying is government jobs pay an appropriate compensation package in order to retain quality employees whereas the private sector suppresses wages in the name of profit for the company and executives?
Goes much deeper. I could write a book on how government over site distroyed the legacy airline carriers, the ones that offered a middle class wage, a defind pension and retirment healthcare benefits. The same government over site that offshored manufacturing in the name of cheep goods, from Chinese forced labor. In a land were the environment ment little.

Posty did you know most private sector seniors will have to work till age 67 to 71 now. Public sector still averages age 55. Here's a link.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/what- ... ge-1669787

Look guys, I busted my butt and worked around all this mess and retired. It's your future now.

End of rant. Good luck. :lol:
I'm well aware of the subpar benefits being offering by a lot of private companies but that isn't what I am debating. You claimed 98% of this region in which I live is 98% employed by the government and that 98% also vote democrat. You changed that to 80% but never once provided where you got that number.

You also insinuated that these government employees working from home are on some sort of vacation.

Since that is how you started, it makes it hard to put much stock in what you're saying.
adam42381 liked this
thepostman wrote: April 28th, 2020, 2:19 pm I'm well aware of the subpar benefits being offering by a lot of private companies but that isn't what I am debating. You claimed 98% of this region in which I live is 98% employed by the government and that 98% also vote democrat. You changed that to 80% but never once provided where you got that number.

You also insinuated that these government employees working from home are on some sort of vacation.

Since that is how you started, it makes it hard to put much stock in what you're saying.
Ignore me then. It's your future. I'm retired. If you're in the public sector you're good, no worries. Unless we completely distroy the middleclass private sector that pays you or if money press runs out of ink. :lol:
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]