This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUDad
I thought it would be helpful if we had a thread where people can discuss personal experiences they may have had with the virus. Either themselves, relatives or friends. What helped, what did or didn't work, symptons, duration, things one needs to be aware of, etc. Prayfully, this thread will never be used. But, if so, info may help others.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
i think its possible that my wife and kids and i would assume by proxy we had it the last week of february. my middle daughter has asthma and needed albuterol treatments regularly and they all had mild fevers for over a weak. were achy and tired and at times had chest congestion. still skeptical but it wasn't the flu.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
My 7 year old son's uncle Pocho (his mother's younger brother) has the virus. He was sick for a few days before he was tested, and was moved to a non medical quarantine facility in the capital. He's doing well now (he's in his mid 20s and is in incredible shape because he makes his living spear fishing.) He will be released from quarantine when they consider it safe, which will probably be another 10 days to 2 weeks. He thinks he caught it from an Italian guy he sold some lobster to a couple of weeks ago in Bayahibe, which was the initial epicenter of the epidemic here. Because of the possibility he may have spread it to other family members before he was diagnosed, I'm keeping my distance and wearing a cloth mask whenever I'm around them (actually whenever I'm around anyone). I would say about 75% of people out in public here are wearing some sort of face covering.
By LUDad
RubberMallet wrote: April 15th, 2020, 10:04 am i think its possible that my wife and kids and i would assume by proxy we had it the last week of february. my middle daughter has asthma and needed albuterol treatments regularly and they all had mild fevers for over a weak. were achy and tired and at times had chest congestion. still skeptical but it wasn't the flu.
I think we are really missing out by not having the home antibody test readly available. I had what I thought was the flu in February also. Took 2 full weeks to get over it and had to sleep in a reclining position because of breathing. Would be nice to rule out if I had it or not.
By LUDad
oldflame wrote: April 15th, 2020, 1:28 pm My 7 year old son's uncle Pocho (his mother's younger brother) has the virus. He was sick for a few days before he was tested, and was moved to a non medical quarantine facility in the capital. He's doing well now (he's in his mid 20s and is in incredible shape because he makes his living spear fishing.) He will be released from quarantine when they consider it safe, which will probably be another 10 days to 2 weeks. He thinks he caught it from an Italian guy he sold some lobster to a couple of weeks ago in Bayahibe, which was the initial epicenter of the epidemic here. Because of the possibility he may have spread it to other family members before he was diagnosed, I'm keeping my distance and wearing a cloth mask whenever I'm around them (actually whenever I'm around anyone). I would say about 75% of people out in public here are wearing some sort of face covering.
What is the medical care like over there? Is it a concern?
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:
RubberMallet wrote: April 15th, 2020, 10:04 am i think its possible that my wife and kids and i would assume by proxy we had it the last week of february. my middle daughter has asthma and needed albuterol treatments regularly and they all had mild fevers for over a weak. were achy and tired and at times had chest congestion. still skeptical but it wasn't the flu.
I think we are really missing out by not having the home antibody test readly available. I had what I thought was the flu in February also. Took 2 full weeks to get over it and had to sleep in a reclining position because of breathing. Would be nice to rule out if I had it or not.
like none of us puked or had the squirts. we just thought it was some mild strain my wife went in and tested negative for the flu.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote: April 15th, 2020, 3:49 pm
oldflame wrote: April 15th, 2020, 1:28 pm My 7 year old son's uncle Pocho (his mother's younger brother) has the virus. He was sick for a few days before he was tested, and was moved to a non medical quarantine facility in the capital. He's doing well now (he's in his mid 20s and is in incredible shape because he makes his living spear fishing.) He will be released from quarantine when they consider it safe, which will probably be another 10 days to 2 weeks. He thinks he caught it from an Italian guy he sold some lobster to a couple of weeks ago in Bayahibe, which was the initial epicenter of the epidemic here. Because of the possibility he may have spread it to other family members before he was diagnosed, I'm keeping my distance and wearing a cloth mask whenever I'm around them (actually whenever I'm around anyone). I would say about 75% of people out in public here are wearing some sort of face covering.
What is the medical care like over there? Is it a concern?
Yes, it is to some extent. There are some very good doctors and clinics here (I got incredible care a couple of years ago when I had cataract surgery in both eyes) but the medical infrastructure and number of professionals could become strained pretty quickly in an epidemic, which is why I need to be super careful. Over 300 new cases yesterday in the country (pop 11 million), which is the most in 1 day so far. I am 67 and have a history of asthma (although I haven't had symptoms in almost 20 years) so I guess you could say I am high risk, although my overall health has been excellent.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
There is a strong chance all three of my kids had the virus back in February which means I was likely the asymptomatic carrier. I was flying back and forth from Seattle before everything broke wide open. My oldest daughter had it first and was extremely sick for two weeks Then my son & youngest daughter both got the bug immediately thereafter and suffered for about a week and half. We didnt suspect COVID-19 at the time but we did the precautions of home quarantining, disinfecting and changing out the sheets everyday. It would be great if we could be tested to see if we now have immunity to the virus.

This is when homeschooling and living in the boonies works in our favor.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
The first cousin of a deacon at the church I grew up in has it. She's a nurse at the Centra hospital in Farmville, and has since developed pneumonia from what I've heard.
By LUDad
Sly Fox wrote: April 15th, 2020, 8:13 pm There is a strong chance all three of my kids had the virus back in February which means I was likely the asymptomatic carrier. I was flying back and forth from Seattle before everything broke wide open. My oldest daughter had it first and was extremely sick for two weeks Then my son & youngest daughter both got the bug immediately thereafter and suffered for about a week and half. We didnt suspect COVID-19 at the time but we did the precautions of home quarantining, disinfecting and changing out the sheets everyday. It would be great if we could be tested to see if we now have immunity to the virus.

This is when homeschooling and living in the boonies works in our favor.
So your wife did not get sick? If not, is there anything special that she did to not catch it?
By rtb72
We lost one of our local law enforcement officers to it in Montgomery County (NC). He was an SRO and the kids absolutely loved him. He was a big kid himself. He found out it had it on a Sunday...and passed on a Monday. He was in his 30's but had several pre-existing conditions, all of which have been identified as aggravating factors. It was a huge hit to a small community. That one event really brought it home for me; until then I probably wasn't taking it as seriously as I should have.
By Class of 20Something
Does anyone know if flu or strep swabs from February could be retested? I'm sure the answer is no, but I would be very curious. My wife, daughter, and I both had some serious crud earlier in the year.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
I had an upper respiratory virus right at Christmas and couldn't shake it and went to dr on New Years Day. They said this was going around and they were seeing around 100 patients per day with it then, across all Lynchburg area locations. They said it wasn't the flu but referred to it more as an unknown virus.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
I had an upper respiratory virus right at Christmas and couldn't shake it and went to dr on New Years Day. They said this was going around and they were seeing around 100 patients per day with it then, across all Lynchburg area locations. They said it wasn't the flu but referred to it as an unknown virus.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
I've had similar experience as others here, but it was hardly any different than any other time I get sick, whether cold, sinus, etc. I still have a lingering occasional cough that won't go away. But honestly, how can you even know? All these viruses have virtually the same symptoms, and when you throw in allergy cycles, everybody's got something.

I will say, I've really been craving a cigar, and it's the perfect weather for it, but with this being a respiratory thing, I've been hesitant. The sacrifices we make. Does that make me as heroic as the Walmart worker or trash man?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote: April 15th, 2020, 9:16 pm So your wife did not get sick? If not, is there anything special that she did to not catch it?
While she didn't wear gloves as suggested now, she did an immense amount of handwashing and laundry. That's all I can determine. She may have also been asymptomatic. I felt a stomach bug for a couple of days but nothing out fo the ordinary when this all went down.

Abbott just announced they have a new screening that will tell whether or not your body has immunity based on past exposure. Once it gets available widespread we will get tested it will hopefully answer our questions.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I had the exact same story as mallet. My 3 year old has some asthma like symptoms and had to go to er with “upper respiratory infection”. Both other kids had it as well and maybe my wife. I never seemed to get it but i had a cough on and off for 3 months that didnt go away completely until a few days after the asun title game.

Thickest mucus ive had in my lifetime. Drainage was brutal as well.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I’ve known more people who have lost their job because of the Virus than who have had the Virus
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Me, too. Keeping me busy 12-14 hours a day with folks. I’m grateful for the job and helping people; just wish it didn’t come about due to a pandemic.
By LUDad
A former coworker had a relative who had some symptoms when to get a test and they immediately called an ambulance. He ended up on a respirator but still survived.

What made this an emergency was that they used a finger oxygen meter and found out he had a really low oxygen level even though he did not have difficulty breathing and did not feel out of breath. I started reading up on this and found out this is not uncommon with covid19.

Point is, it might be wise to have one of the meters at home. The home devices are not as accurate as one in a dr's office but it will show if you are abnormally low.
By LUDad
Jonathan Carone wrote: April 28th, 2020, 8:55 pm That silent hypoxia is one of the scariest parts of this.
Just read the post below where a Doctor gave a covid patient a blood thinner to help circulation in her feet and it ended up helping her breathing to recover. That matches other things that I have read that led me to mention a regiment of low dose aspirin to help with the clotting.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/04 ... gen-levels
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: April 17th, 2020, 5:19 am Me, too. Keeping me busy 12-14 hours a day with folks. I’m grateful for the job and helping people; just wish it didn’t come about due to a pandemic.
+1
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Were not done https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/s[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]