This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUDad
Watching segment on fox concerning how virus is affecting college endowments for the worst. Wondering how LU will fare? I imagine a lot is in real estate and will simply be unaffected over time. But is there cash available that LU can go shopping with to actually boost endowment? Or is that foolish?
By cruzan_flame13
LUDad wrote: March 19th, 2020, 8:57 pm Watching segment on fox concerning how virus is affecting college endowments for the worst. Wondering how LU will fare? I imagine a lot is in real estate and will simply be unaffected over time. But is there cash available that LU can go shopping with to actually boost endowment? Or is that foolish?
That's a good question. I'm going to say that LU will remain stable since there has been an increase in admissions (people are realizing how effective online schooling is in situations like we're dealing with now). This may be an advantage; hopefully LU promotes their brand more.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote: March 19th, 2020, 8:57 pm Watching segment on fox concerning how virus is affecting college endowments for the worst. Wondering how LU will fare? I imagine a lot is in real estate and will simply be unaffected over time. But is there cash available that LU can go shopping with to actually boost endowment? Or is that foolish?
It's not foolish. There is a very likely real opportunity in the near future (2 months to 1 year) to invest in solid companies that will double in value in a couple of years. That is from a public stock standpoint. As a private university, LU does not publish how the endowment is invested. I am sure there is a diversified portfolio that includes a healthy cash position. It would be surprising to learn that there was not a considerable stake in the market which has had a historic bull market run over the last 10 years. I know a number of universities also speculatively invest in private businesses that are often associated with the university's alumnus. I have asked about similar programs at Liberty and I do not believe they exist.
By LUDad
Class of 20Something wrote: March 20th, 2020, 8:18 am I'm looking at the K-12 LU Online Academy to explode right now. It's the next big thing for LU. An online homeschooling curriculum with teachers is going to be a big deal soon.
I never thought of that. We sent our kids to Christian school because we didn't consider ourselves equipped to home school. We struggled financially at times but it was worth it. No telling how many families would pull their kids out of public school if they had the teaching tools available at an affordable price.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: March 20th, 2020, 8:18 am I'm looking at the K-12 LU Online Academy to explode right now. It's the next big thing for LU. An online homeschooling curriculum with teachers is going to be a big deal soon.
They will probably see some increases, but there is competition in that space. LU Online academy won't win the price or quality battle.
Purple Haize liked this
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote:
They will probably see some increases, but there is competition in that space. LU Online academy won't win the price or quality battle.
Online education isn't the unicorn that only Liberty held that it once was. There are more and more providers each year that provide a ton of value for what they do.

Their course selection has potential but is a bit sad and not really competitive with what's being offered elsewhere.

We homeschooled through a charter public homeschool in California for a few years. What was great about that is that they gave us $1,600 a year (of public school money, in California) to make choices on our own curriculum purchases. That money even covered classes like music lessons and dance lessons, etc. We met with a licensed teacher once a month, at our house.

My point is, there are a lot of options out there and looking at what Liberty has available, I'm not sure how competitive they are. The main thing they have going for them is just the "Liberty" name, if that's important to you.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
I've hung around here 10 years. When certain guys on here say something at Liberty won't work, will fail or can't happen. I start betting on it happening and succeeding. :lol:
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
It's not that Liberty will fail. It's just that others will do it better. If you don't believe me, look at the HS course offering for LU Online Academy.
By cruzan_flame13
Yacht Rock wrote: March 20th, 2020, 4:22 pm It's not that Liberty will fail. It's just that others will do it better. If you don't believe me, look at the HS course offering for LU Online Academy.
Yet there's many parents and schools calling to enroll in the Academy especially from the south. Hmmmmm
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: March 20th, 2020, 4:30 pm
Yacht Rock wrote: March 20th, 2020, 4:22 pm It's not that Liberty will fail. It's just that others will do it better. If you don't believe me, look at the HS course offering for LU Online Academy.
Yet there's many parents and schools calling to enroll in the Academy especially from the south. Hmmmmm
I'd also add that there are a lot of online secondary schooling options that are doing quite well (not named Liberty).

There are a lot of institutions that are offering more robust academic programs. Even in Virginia, believe it or not.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
How is that secondary school online program different from the college online program, as far as how it works structurally from the student perspective?
lynchburgwildcats wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 12:17 am
How is that secondary school online program different from the college online program, as far as how it works structurally from the student perspective?
I think fundamentally with the age difference I would hope the parents are dramatically more involved. I’m not too well versed on what it’s like to be a parent/student through something like that, but I do know that it’s one of the few academic programs at LU that is on a constant growth track.

I think the biggest advantage is the dual enrollment loophole. If you take DE, the classes are LU but you get the LUOA rate. If someone knows better, please correct me. But for high schoolers, that’s an absolute game changer.
By cruzan_flame13
Class of 20Something wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 1:05 am
lynchburgwildcats wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 12:17 am
I think fundamentally with the age difference I would hope the parents are dramatically more involved. I’m not too well versed on what it’s like to be a parent/student through something like that, but I do know that it’s one of the few academic programs at LU that is on a constant growth track.

I think the biggest advantage is the dual enrollment loophole. If you take DE, the classes are LU but you get the LUOA rate. If someone knows better, please correct me. But for high schoolers, that’s an absolute game changer.
You are correct @20something and more families and some schools who do not have an online option are more interested. You guys would not believe the amount of calls ringing in for interest or parents being grateful that LUOA exist.
By NotAJerry
Registration Days Posts
Jr should worry more about lawsuits for the 12 (for the moment) COVID-19 cases on campus that are directly his responsibility. He should spend more time listening to his own students and faculty instead of being a bootlicker for the orange sociopath. At this point, the only good that can come out of this situation for the university is this antichrist psychopath to be shown the door and someone who at least has a minimal amount of decency and intelligence to replace him.
By cruzan_flame13
You definitely went personal in your response. It takes about a week or two to actually know if someone has the symptoms or not. We are also in a season where people normally get allergies, colds and flu like symptoms. Nonetheless people were in a huge panic and the news didnt help the situation(maybe to get more viewers during a time of crisis[not crazy when folks want that money]). So things could've went differently perhaps, but it wouldnt have change what the media or others think of him or his actions(hint the message above). I'm not a strong supporter of Jerry's political actions, but ignorance is coming on both sides(that's "poly-ticks" for ya). This is just my opinion and the whole situation of what's going on. There's nothing new under the sun.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
NotAJerry wrote: March 29th, 2020, 5:11 pm Jr should worry more about lawsuits for the 12 (for the moment) COVID-19 cases on campus that are directly his responsibility. He should spend more time listening to his own students and faculty instead of being a bootlicker for the orange sociopath. At this point, the only good that can come out of this situation for the university is this antichrist psychopath to be shown the door and someone who at least has a minimal amount of decency and intelligence to replace him.
You seem to be in desperate need of a Snickers
LU 57, thepostman, jbock13 and 2 others liked this
By LU 57
Purple Haize wrote: March 29th, 2020, 7:17 pm
NotAJerry wrote: March 29th, 2020, 5:11 pm Jr should worry more about lawsuits for the 12 (for the moment) COVID-19 cases on campus that are directly his responsibility. He should spend more time listening to his own students and faculty instead of being a bootlicker for the orange sociopath. At this point, the only good that can come out of this situation for the university is this antichrist psychopath to be shown the door and someone who at least has a minimal amount of decency and intelligence to replace him.
You seem to be in desperate need of a Snickers
This gave me a much needed chuckle :lol:
Purple Haize liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
I saw the lastes hit peice on Barroom Sports, ny times, Patheos, MSN now and Daily Beast. I'll wait for more reliable sources. Crone told me everything Bar Room Sports puts out is trash. :lol:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: March 29th, 2020, 8:08 pm I saw the lastes hit peice on Barroom Sports, ny times, Patheos, MSN now and Daily Beast. I'll wait for more reliable sources. Crone told me everything Bar Room Sports puts out is trash. :lol:
Love the Pizza reviews. He trashed a Tombstone but gave Red Baron a solid score
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
NotAJerry wrote:Jr should worry more about lawsuits for the 12 (for the moment) COVID-19 cases on campus that are directly his responsibility. He should spend more time listening to his own students and faculty instead of being a bootlicker for the orange sociopath. At this point, the only good that can come out of this situation for the university is this antichrist psychopath to be shown the door and someone who at least has a minimal amount of decency and intelligence to replace him.
Does this guy work for The NY Times? :lol:
Purple Haize liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
So, someone correct me if I am wrong. Liberty has one off-campus student who has tested positive, but did not go home for Spring break because he has a job in Lynchburg. In other words, he caught the virus from someone else in town. Then there are an unknown number of students on campus who have seen a doctor due to some symptoms they have had, but none of them met the criteria to even be tested for the virus. From this, the NYT comes up with 12 students on campus who have the virus based on the word of an unnamed "local doctor" and they print it as fact?
TH Spangler liked this
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: March 30th, 2020, 10:04 am So, someone correct me if I am wrong. Liberty has one off-campus student who has tested positive, but did not go home for Spring break because he has a job in Lynchburg. In other words, he caught the virus from someone else in town. Then there are an unknown number of students on campus who have seen a doctor due to some symptoms they have had, but none of them met the criteria to even be tested for the virus. From this, the NYT comes up with 12 students on campus who have the virus based on the word of an unnamed "local doctor" and they print it as fact?
They quoted Dr. Eppes. Liberty/Jr. have earned zero benefit of the doubt at this point.
Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]

Some statistics

So, who is the new hitting coach that Coach Dot wi[…]

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]