This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: March 30th, 2020, 10:04 am So, someone correct me if I am wrong. Liberty has one off-campus student who has tested positive, but did not go home for Spring break because he has a job in Lynchburg. In other words, he caught the virus from someone else in town. Then there are an unknown number of students on campus who have seen a doctor due to some symptoms they have had, but none of them met the criteria to even be tested for the virus. From this, the NYT comes up with 12 students on campus who have the virus based on the word of an unnamed "local doctor" and they print it as fact?
Puts the NY Times in same category as Barstool Sports. :lol:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Obviously Dr. Eppes is legit, but you have to excuse me if I suspect the NYT may have expanded on, twisted, or even flat out lied about what he told them.
By Class of 20Something
11 total on and off campus students in some type of quarantine.

3 positive tests.

2 presumptive positives.

4 students returning from NY state with no symptoms.

2 roommates of those NY students.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote: March 30th, 2020, 10:26 am
oldflame wrote: March 30th, 2020, 10:04 am So, someone correct me if I am wrong. Liberty has one off-campus student who has tested positive, but did not go home for Spring break because he has a job in Lynchburg. In other words, he caught the virus from someone else in town. Then there are an unknown number of students on campus who have seen a doctor due to some symptoms they have had, but none of them met the criteria to even be tested for the virus. From this, the NYT comes up with 12 students on campus who have the virus based on the word of an unnamed "local doctor" and they print it as fact?
They quoted Dr. Eppes. Liberty/Jr. have earned zero benefit of the doubt at this point.
I don't completely disagree but the article has been changed several times since the first time I read it yesterday afternoon. That doesn't bode well for the Times , especially since there is nothing actually stating what was changed in the article. It isn't good journalism.

I don't think Jerry or LU handled this situation very well (which has become the norm) but this article is a great example as to why one must play the wait and see game with the majority of news coming out about the virus. Almost all of it has some kind of political leaning one way or another. It's sad but true.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
A quick update on the situation here in the DR. After numbers the last few days that were a bit troubling, they were way down today with only 34 new cases and 3 deaths. The government mitigations are bordering on draconian, with almost everything shut down and a curfew from 5PM to 6AM. I'm pretty much stuck here for the time being, as all airports were shut down Thursday for at least 15 days. In addition, they have quarantined the city of San Francisco de Macoris, where there is an outbreak that started with a small group of wealthy Dominicans who returned from Spain just before they shut down flights coming from there.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Personally, I think leaving the campus open, is a horrible mistake. It doesn't gain the university anything and can only result in bad press nationally and even worse in the local community. Regardless of the facts of the situation, it is perception, that becomes truth. Being a maverick in this situation has zero upside. My .02
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Dr Eppes was interviewed this morning on WIQO and it’s on their FB page. He said that the NYT article was not as precise as he would have liked it to be. Which for him is pretty much calling it a flat out lie.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote: March 30th, 2020, 2:36 pm Gov. Northam ordering all higher Ed in person classes to cease today.
Were any taking place?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote: March 30th, 2020, 2:43 pm Apparently some were or he wouldn't have made that clear. Maybe someone else can shed light but I thought at least med students here were.
Interesting you mentioned that. I have heard that students in their last semester/year they can start to practice and worry about the Boards later. Word on the Street is LU is not participating in that even if students have passed the Boards. So you have students who have passed the medical boards but not completed coursework at LU who will not be granted a degree from LU. Very strange.
But back to the point, I think you are right about Medical students. They would have labs etc to do
By Jonathan Carone
Purple Haize wrote: March 30th, 2020, 2:39 pm
flamehunter wrote: March 30th, 2020, 2:36 pm Gov. Northam ordering all higher Ed in person classes to cease today.
Were any taking place?
Originally Liberty's position were that labs and performance classes couldn't be done online and were to be done in person. My assumption is some of that changed.
By cruzan_flame13
oldflame wrote: March 30th, 2020, 11:00 am A quick update on the situation here in the DR. After numbers the last few days that were a bit troubling, they were way down today with only 34 new cases and 3 deaths. The government mitigations are bordering on draconian, with almost everything shut down and a curfew from 5PM to 6AM. I'm pretty much stuck here for the time being, as all airports were shut down Thursday for at least 15 days. In addition, they have quarantined the city of San Francisco de Macoris, where there is an outbreak that started with a small group of wealthy Dominicans who returned from Spain just before they shut down flights coming from there.
This is what is called medical martial law. Now need to use the national guard or even mercenaries when people will abide by the rules based on fear mongering.
In the the words of Rahm Emanuel, "You never [let]a serious crisis go to waste."
By chris leedlelee
Purple Haize wrote: March 30th, 2020, 11:47 am Dr Eppes was interviewed this morning on WIQO and it’s on their FB page. He said that the NYT article was not as precise as he would have liked it to be. Which for him is pretty much calling it a flat out lie.
While Liberty could have certainly handled this situation better with clear messaging and direction from the very begininning, many outlets seem to be running with the story that LU is basically completely open for business as usual. Anyone who actually knows a student, knows that the reports were greatly exaggerated. However, Jerry needs to keep his mouth shut abou the situation for PR purposes, but we already know that will never happen as long as the sky is blue.
Purple Haize liked this
By cruzan_flame13
Not saying this is fact, but this could be beneficial for us and a future athletic conference financially speaking. Hopefully the A-10 for olympic sports. Hopefully LU will increase funds with academia (residential and Online) and research in the upcoming years.
chris leedlelee liked this
By chris leedlelee
cruzan_flame13 wrote: April 8th, 2020, 5:32 pm Not saying this is fact, but this could be beneficial for us and a future athletic conference financially speaking. Hopefully the A-10 for olympic sports. Hopefully LU will increase funds with academia (residential and Online) and research in the upcoming years.
If we ever are let into a A-10 caliber basketball conference, it will absolutely be because of our possible revenue potential.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The A10 isn't a good conference for LU for Olympic Sports. It's mostly a northern conference in cold weather climates. LU doesn't have as good of footprint in the north as we do southern states.
Florida. Georgia. Alabama and Tennessee are much better venues for road games.
A10 is basically a basketball league and nothing else.
We should hold out for AAC.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
South is better.

AAC is preferred.

But if AAC isn’t calling, not sure I want to “hold out” by abstaining from A10 if they are calling, as in this hypothetical scenario. Take the A10 for all sports except football. HUGE step up for MBB and WBB.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Does Gonzaga and St Mary have D1 football ? When[…]

LaTech

We are halfway through the season, yet we are stil[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]