This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Since discussion about this has been shoe-horned into a wide range of topics, I thought it might be a good idea to have one for it. Let's start with the Bernie-Biden debate last night. Here is a 3 minute "highlight reel":

I didn't watch very much of the entire debate, but wasn't impressed with either, although Joe held up a lot better than his recent performance on the stump had led me to believe he would. Predictably, a lot of it was about coronavirus. Most of what Biden said he was going to do was the exact same stuff Trump is doing. Bernie didn't have much of an answer when confronted with how poorly countries with socialized medicine (like Italy) have handled things. Best he could do was "We should be working with China on this. They are learning a lot." Uhh, Bernie, we are. :roll:
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I watched the second hour of it, and most of it was about who could spend more of the taxpayers' money.

The best part was when the moderator brought up a Cuba question for Bernie to answer. :lol: And then Biden acted like he was JFK during the Cuban missle crisis. :nono
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
Bernie is toast. he looked awful and biden attached himself to many of bernies causes and bernie didn't hardly fight back.

bernie looked tired. he looked defeated. he sees the inevitable and is just going through the motions it seems.

Biden looked good for the first time in a while.

still really odd seeing the choices being these old fogies who corona, or even a simple cold could end them should be quite concerning to the party.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote: March 17th, 2020, 3:56 pm Bernie is toast. he looked awful and biden attached himself to many of bernies causes and bernie didn't hardly fight back.

bernie looked tired. he looked defeated. he sees the inevitable and is just going through the motions it seems.

still really odd seeing the choices being these old fogies who corona, or even a simple cold could end them should be quite concerning to the party.
For some reason the olds really love Biden. And the blacks did too because I guess they associate him with Obama.

Bernie gets a ton of support from the under 40 crowd.

There were some good younger candidates not named Mayor Pete that aligned well with the typical liberal voter but they ran terrible campaigns and couldn’t overcome the huge name recognition that Biden and Bernie have.

Will be interesting to see four years from now what happens when Biden is too mentally incapacitated to rerun or run for re-election and surely Bernie won’t be running again either. Hopefully both parties are able to nominate someone who can put together a sentence without bumbling around and sounding like they are in early stages of dementia because unfortunately that’s what we’ll have to vote between this year.
By Class of 20Something
Cuomo looks like their best choice right now. I’d be scared if Bernie drops, Biden has a medical issue and that’s the audible the DNC calls at the convention. Especially with how well he’s working with the president, I could see him being someone that actually pulls votes from Trump rather than pushes to.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
RubberMallet wrote: March 17th, 2020, 3:56 pm Bernie is toast. he looked awful and biden attached himself to many of bernies causes and bernie didn't hardly fight back.

For some reason the olds really love Biden. And the blacks did too because I guess they associate him with Obama.

There were some good younger candidates not named Mayor Pete that aligned well with the typical liberal voter but they ran terrible campaigns and couldn’t overcome the huge name recognition that Biden and Bernie have.

Will be interesting to see four years from now what happens when Biden is too mentally incapacitated to rerun or run for re-election and surely Bernie won’t be running again either. Hopefully both parties are able to nominate someone who can put together a sentence without bumbling around and sounding like they are in early stages of dementia because unfortunately that’s what we’ll have to vote between this year.
biden is vanilla pudding. he's a centrist pushover who will continue the status quo. there is a reason elderly people transition their retirements into bonds. Biden is perfect for those in that stage of life.

the problem biden really truly has now is he's not out in front of this. at all. republicans are pouncing on it. whether good, bad, factual or not, trump is front and center and Fauci has been great for trump.
By LUDad
lynchburgwildcats wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 12:10 am

Trump was a lock before the virus hit. The economy was way to strong for him to lose. Not so certain now. Key may be how many millennials sit out the election.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Yes. This whole thing could change everything for the election. I guess that is what happens when I start going on and on about how Trump can't lose because the Democrats crapped the bed and now this happens.

Will be interesting.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
its early but look at trumps numbers. they are better than what they were before this. in all aspects and even how hes handling this he's over 50%. that and there is no visible leadership in the democratic party right now. as i said, biden nowhere to be seen, pelosi and schumer are disasters right now in the public eye. unless this thing takes a major turn (i don't think it will) downward, i'm 80/20 he'll be reelected.
chris leedlelee liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 2:32 pm

Trump was a lock before the virus hit. The economy was way to strong for him to lose. Not so certain now. Key may be how many millennials sit out the election.
I’m thinking it’s the exact opposite. This is sucking all of the air out of the balloon for any challenger. The biggest Democrat Star right now is Cuomo....and he’s not running. Everytime Biden goes on air, he bumbles and fumbles and has done nothing to define himself. His numbers in handling this case have been pretty big. And when this settles and the economy recovers and people realize it wasn’t as deadly as they thought a Trump is going to look better. People are going to look at a Trump and look at Biden and ask “Would I really had wanted Biden handling this?”
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Everytime Trump starts his daily Q&A he bumbles through it. Thank God for the people behind him because if it weren't for them, I have no idea where we would be. I think Pence has come off as stronger than I ever gave him credit for.

Regardless, it's too early to tell but I really expected Trump to win easily but it may be more contested because of this. It is all based on the economy and how we bounce back. That is what was going to win him the election. If he and his team can right the ship a bit and the economy bounces back then that is a huge positive for his campaign.

I just wish he would stop talking and tweeting. I have wished that for 4 years now. Haha
By LUDad
Purple Haize wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 7:50 pm

I’m thinking it’s the exact opposite. This is sucking all of the air out of the balloon for any challenger. The biggest Democrat Star right now is Cuomo....and he’s not running. Everytime Biden goes on air, he bumbles and fumbles and has done nothing to define himself. His numbers in handling this case have been pretty big. And when this settles and the economy recovers and people realize it wasn’t as deadly as they thought a Trump is going to look better. People are going to look at a Trump and look at Biden and ask “Would I really had wanted Biden handling this?”
Everything will be fine as long as we flatten the curve. Next six weeks are critical. You don't want kids in hospitals getting treatment for leukemia, catching the virus because of overloads. Get by the curve and Trump should be ok and perhaps we can have football in fall. I agree about Cuomo. He is sounding too logical. He's setting himself up for a run in 4 years.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote: March 24th, 2020, 11:14 am

Everything will be fine as long as we flatten the curve. Next six weeks are critical. You don't want kids in hospitals getting treatment for leukemia, catching the virus because of overloads. Get by the curve and Trump should be ok and perhaps we can have football in fall. I agree about Cuomo. He is sounding too logical. He's setting himself up for a run in 4 years.
I would be shocked if Coumo doesn't run in 2024. Who else do they have?
By LUDad
oldflame wrote: March 24th, 2020, 11:27 am
LUDad wrote: March 24th, 2020, 11:14 am

I would be shocked if Coumo doesn't run in 2024. Who else do they have?
No one right now. Off topic but if hospitals had all door knobs, handles, hand rails, bed rails and surfaces in patients rooms plated with copper we would not see the cross contamination in hospitals that we now have. You go into hospital to get minnor issue taken care of and you come out with MRSA. Same with this virus.
jimflamesfan liked this
By Jonathan Carone
LUDad wrote: March 24th, 2020, 11:14 am Everything will be fine as long as we flatten the curve. Next six weeks are critical. You don't want kids in hospitals getting treatment for leukemia, catching the virus because of overloads. Get by the curve and Trump should be ok and perhaps we can have football in fall.
We started too late to truly flatten the curve at this point. It'll take months longer to do this now than it would've had he acted when we first started learning about this instead of joking about it and making it sound like it was nothing.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: March 24th, 2020, 2:07 pm
LUDad wrote: March 24th, 2020, 11:14 am Everything will be fine as long as we flatten the curve. Next six weeks are critical. You don't want kids in hospitals getting treatment for leukemia, catching the virus because of overloads. Get by the curve and Trump should be ok and perhaps we can have football in fall.
We started too late to truly flatten the curve at this point. It'll take months longer to do this now than it would've had he acted when we first started learning about this instead of joking about it and making it sound like it was nothing.
We started by by restricting travel to China. That was huge. We are at mortality rates similar to SoKo and they are seen as successful. We are doing fine in a situation no one in the world was prepared for. Sure you can look back and play “woulda-shoulda-coulda” but even then the US has done a great job dealing with this
By LUDad
Class of 20Something wrote: March 24th, 2020, 1:39 pm Check out local company NanoSeptic. They have doubled their sales each month since this started. Exactly the product you're talking about.
This looks like a great consumer / office accessory application. Heavy duty industrial applications like hospitals would be better off with actual copper fixtures. Once installed, they don't need to replace then and you don't have to worry about cleaning them to aggressively.
By Jonathan Carone
If he gets us back to work and semi-normal, he’ll be fine.

If this goes on for 3+ months, he’ll get blamed for not taking it more seriously earlier.

It’ll be Monday morning QBing and playing the results, but it’s the way life works.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
I can't believe Biden's camp allowed his little thing at home to even be released.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote: March 24th, 2020, 3:59 pm I can't believe Biden's camp allowed his little thing at home to even be released.
After seeing that, I'm beginning to think it's becoming more and more likely that ultimately Biden will not be the democrat candidate. He will be convinced to withdraw and the DNC will get someone like Cuomo or Michelle Obama to run.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
so they canceled his thing yesterday and then sent him out onto a few shows which were equally bad.

i dont' think the DNC is that smart or calculating. They know that even as he's falling apart he's the only chance. they won't be able to chuck cuomo at it. that won't work right now. remember republicans have done that with a few darlings and it fizzled out. remember Jindal after the hurricane?

This issue is historically its hard to move a sitting president in a time of crisis. regardless of who he is. and once again trump's numbers continue to rise.

And now we are about to enact a very left of center bailout that the right will justify as this is a time of crisis and the WH will be able to claim they are farther left than even the heads of the DNC are! (pelosi/schumer/biden)

we are still a long way from november and the economy/society is up in the air but things are trending victory.
Purple Haize liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I really enjoyed how Joe coughed into his hand while being interviewed on CNN and then how he dealt with being corrected. It was just classic stuff.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]